• Android and the Bluetooth connectivity is fully sufficient for me

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Long Range, 2019 Porsche 911 4S, 2018 Tesla Model X Performance
Country flag
I was wondering how much of you would like to have Android Auto in the Taycan . So I started this poll to find out ;)
I use Samsung as my Daily Device but ive bought an iPhone 11 Pro Max as my "Porsche Phone" specifically to have CarPlay access.
Sponsored

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
Always been an Android phone user since the smartphone generation began. The Sony Xperia died conveniently as I was waiting for the Taycan to be produced, and since I'm not religious in any way I decided to try an iPhone on a hunch that maybe the "premium" Zuffenhausen product would prefer a "premium" smartphone. So far seems to work well. But then I prefer Tidal as streaming service due to their premium sound quality and not Apple Music (so far). So I don't really use any CarPlay bells & whistles. May have to try it though.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this is correct - and Porsche confirms it - they are not withholding andriod auto support for the fun of it - why don’t you believe it?

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Wow! Do you really believe a single word?
So, I'm going to out myself as someone who works at Apple, specifically on privacy.

This is the real deal. Apple really doesn't want your data. The company's business is selling devices and services, not ads. Customers can opt into data sharing for things like system analytics that help Apple improve its devices and services, but even this data collection never happens in an identifiable way.

I laugh when I see features like Google's 'incognito mode' for Maps. That's the way Apple Maps has always worked (actually, better because not only do we use random identifiers, we rotate them every 15 minutes or so). Or things like optional end-to-end encryption for messaging. It's not a special mode you have to turn on in Messages, it's the way iMessage works. A lot of Apple's privacy features don't shout out at you because they system is privacy-friendly by default.

You seem skeptical, but I will suggest that you take a look at some of the info at

https://www.apple.com/privacy/

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This thread is going to turn into an iOS vs android fight. Porsche does CarPlay. Every time a new Porsche model ships, it's the same chorus for AA, and nothing has changed.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes - Porsche does not support Android Auto - on _ANY_ of their vehicles - there is a reason - the reason is data gathering requirements for Android Auto - Porsche is unlikely change their view of this anytime soon.

If you want phone connectivity beyond Bluetooth get an iPhone.

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
Just for fun I decided to get a USB-C to Lightning cable and try out CarPlay tonight. Seemed to work fine, a few glitches here and there (Tidal song would play, then after parking would not start next song. Apple Music would just enter continuous loop trying to download "something").

Having both Apple & Google Maps Navigation available is useful. Sometimes certain addresses will not show up correctly on one or the other - so being able to use both is great. Calendar view is nice. I have the Porsche Roads app, and I may be mistaken cause the message only displayed for a short time, but I think it said that it "marked vehicle location" on the Roads Map as I parked the car. Will try this out some more. Could be very useful when parking in unknown areas.

Also a bit easier to switch between Apple Music, Spotify and Tidal using the big screen rather than fiddling around with the phone while driving (not recommended).

Just a quick shot for those still waiting for their cars:

Porsche Taycan [Poll] iPhone or Android? EFAD0A4B-27C0-47A3-A753-D619200EF261_1_105_c

I like how CarPlay uses most of the screen, - more than on a Macan for instance (). And the screen image is really crystal clear. Background color and graphics and album art are really nice when playing music!

(yes, I'm waiting for the wife to notice the factory screen protection..... and yes - it's been raining for almost a week now - going stir crazy not being able to take the car out for a longer drive - it's just way to wet - hydroplaning is a real issue over here...)

Last edited:

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
So, I'm going to out myself as someone who works at Apple, specifically on privacy.

This is the real deal. Apple really doesn't want your data. The company's business is selling devices and services, not ads. Customers can opt into data sharing for things like system analytics that help Apple improve its devices and services, but even this data collection never happens in an identifiable way.

I laugh when I see features like Google's 'incognito mode' for Maps. That's the way Apple Maps has always worked (actually, better because not only do we use random identifiers, we rotate them every 15 minutes or so). Or things like optional end-to-end encryption for messaging. It's not a special mode you have to turn on in Messages, it's the way iMessage works. A lot of Apple's privacy features don't shout out at you because they system is privacy-friendly by default.

You seem skeptical, but I will suggest that you take a look at some of the info at

Coincidentally as this was being posted, they updated the Apple ad outside my condo window.
Porsche Taycan [Poll] iPhone or Android? 5EA68AFE-CBF6-447B-A241-490E7BF772AD

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Coincidentally as this was being posted, they updated the Apple ad outside my condo window.
5EA68AFE-CBF6-447B-A241-490E7BF772AD.jpeg
Cute! :) The bigger the advertising to bigger the lie!

Let's face the universal digital fact: You have NEVER EVER seen a company, which has a reliable and believable "DELETE" button on your data... As long as I am NOT in total control over MY data, you can throw at me what you like, it is all total and utter BS.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@feye that is wrong and illegal under GDPR - and you have zero evidence that is true - you have your belief which you are entitled to - but you are 100% wrong. If you can prove you’re wrong you can do real harm to a company because the EU penalties are some % of global revenue per_DAY for violation of that fact.

https://gdpr.eu/fines/#:~:text=Two tiers of GDPR fines The GDPR states,They include any violation of the articles governing:

These types of infringements could result in a fine of up to €20 million, or 4% of the firm’s worldwide annual revenue from the preceding financial year, whichever amount is higher
AAPL’s revenues for 2019 were 260 billion - so a fine of 10 billion $$$ is on the table if what you say is true.

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...o-know-about-apples-gdpr-privacy-upgrade.html

you can download and delete all your data at any time via appleid.apple.com

please cite factual evidence of your concerns - what data that is yours from Apple can you not delete or control?

but based on your assertions you are evidence and fact immune so I ‘m sure this discussion will quickly degrade.

however Porsche legal reviewed the agreements for Apple CarPlay and Google - and dtermined they were unwilling to accept the terms and conditions for AndroidAuto - and there are legal repercusions for data handling violations, and legal entities routinely seek help from Apple which they don’t recieve to “crack” suspects iPhones due to the cyrptography - but there is no privacy…hmmm I’ll go with the body of evidence vs. your unfounded opinions.

Last edited:

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Cute! :) The bigger the advertising to bigger the lie!

Let's face the universal digital fact: You have NEVER EVER seen a company, which has a reliable and believable "DELETE" button on your data... As long as I am NOT in total control over MY data, you can throw at me what you like, it is all total and utter BS.
I'll simply refer you to my earlier post on this thread. To the extent that Apple has data (and it has precious little, particularly compared to competitors), you have a 'delete' button available on the Apple web site, by following the directions in:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208504

(and as Dave notes, this is actually required by GDPR in Europe, but Apple does it for all customers worldwide).

Look, I get being skeptical. But sometimes it turns out that well-intentioned people are trying to actually do the right thing for user privacy, and do occasionally try to get some credit for it. I could both Apple and Porsche as companies in that category.
Sponsored