IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
I’m on the fence if I’m going to use Apple Car Play. And I will only do so if I can disable texts and emails from being announced and displayed/spoken.

But if I do use it, how does my phone work when I’ve already paired it with the car via Bluetooth? And bigger question - will I still be able to answer calls with the phone button on the steering wheel when both systems are operating?
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
If you use CarPlay then it disconnects from Bluetooth. When you connect your phone the first time it will ask if you want to use CarPlay or PCM (Bluetooth) – its not both concurrently.

Reactions: B61

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
I haven't checked properly, but you can at least just put your phone on DND.

Navigation won't be on your instrument cluster, no preheating, and ambient lights won't change color with the album art. I like CarPlay, but I prefer Porsches system. CarPlay isn't Android Automotive (think Polestar) so it has no real integration into the cars systems.

Also if you have a '22 with Android Auto (not to be confused with Android Automotive) you have ways to get YouTube, Netflix etc. Annoys me that us '21ers won't get it. :(

EDIT: Most annoying thin is the only way to fast-forward a song or podcast is holding the next track button. No slider. Grinds my gears.

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Also if you have a '22 with Android Auto (not to be confused with Android Automotive) you have ways to get YouTube, Netflix etc. Annoys me that us '21ers won't get it. :(
You can already have YouTube, Netflix, Prime… on a MY21, you just need to plug a applepie. Works like a charm for me as I prefer that my iPhone is linked only in Bluetooth and the applepie is linked with CarPlay. I just use it when I’m stopped at a supercharger waiting but you can do as you wish.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The only advantage if you dont want hands free text etc, is integration to a better map for navigation. Outside of that, CarPlay is kind of a waste compared to the Porsche system. You already get access to your songs and Apple Radio.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
CarPlay does not start reading your messages, but it does interrupt and let you know if you've received a message from someone that you have designated as one of your Favorites on your iPhone.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Unlike my last car (Macan without Apple car play) I don’t think you can access text message through the Bluetooth connection, only if car play is connected. That might not matter to you but I find it convenient

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
in terms of navigating the best route
Unlike my last car (Macan without Apple car play) I don’t think you can access text message through the Bluetooth connection, only if car play is connected. That might not matter to you but I find it convenient
I'd rather passengers not read my texts and emails, and also I'd rather not hear and reply to them when driving.
Sponsored