Porsche Active Ride

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I would have to feel how disconnected I would feel from the road.

Here is more info on the PAR with Panamera
It also apparently reduces the feeling of inertia/G-Force. So probably not a good idea to get it on lesser powered cars since they’re already somewhat underpowered.

And by lesser powered I mean Rwd Lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
It also apparently reduces the feeling of inertia/G-Force. So probably not a good idea to get it on lesser powered cars since they’re already somewhat underpowered.

And by lesser powered I mean the Rwd model Lol
It would be better if you can deactivate if desired, like Traction Control

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
It would be better if you can deactivate if desired, like Traction Control
You can. I’ve also yet to get a definitive weight on the new system. I can imagine it adds considerable weight to an already heavy car.

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can. I’ve also yet to get a definitive weight on the new system. I can imagine it adds considerable weight to an already heavy car.
It's 8-9kw for each motor, per Porsche engineers

That's good to know you can disengage it.

PedroJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Taycan CT 4S ordered
Country flag
The Active Ride could make the Taycan as comfortable as an S class. According to roadandcar test the new suspension is noticeable more comfortable.

"We had a chance to sample a new Panamera Turbo E-Hybrid prototype with the “semi-active” PDCC system and one with Active Ride near Porsche’s factory in Leipzig, Germany. It’s always a little hard to evaluate ride quality in Germany, as the roads are so good, but there’s a very obvious difference between the two cars. The active suspension seems to make all small road imperfections disappear entirely. The PDCC car didn’t ride badly, but you notice so much more of what’s beneath you."
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a45910445/porsche-active-ride-suspension/
IMO (!!!) it's not PAR which makes new Taycan more comfortable then the 1 gen. It is thanks to double valve dampers or any other modification to air suspension.

I used to have Adaptive Drive in BMW. I was buying it for driving dynamics, but the benefits were on comfort side. Disconnected swaybars makes ride more comfortable. As in PDCC or PAR. PAR can deliver great comfort and sport handling in one car, with the press of the button. Traditional swaybars designed for hanging (as in Taycan) will limit the comfort on uneven roads.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
EDIT: added link to Porsche Panamera PAR brief that mentions relative weight

It’s funny how negative a lot of people are generally is about this innovative new feature. I’m not thinking twice about checking this box, I want that. It sounds corny, but I think this is the start of the future.

This system is different from the dynamic adjustable damper valving or fluid viscosity adjusting suspension systems. I’ve had both (M5, Corvette) and they don’t deliver. PAR is different because not only is the compression and rebound damping adjusted dynamically (same as the other systems), but instead of only spring rebound pushing back, PAR hydraulics “push back”. Or not. It can even withdraw. This is far more active than anything I’ve seen on a passenger car you can just buy from an easily accessible dealership, and really this is really a big move towards a Software Defined Suspension.

The flat level maintaining (or not if in the Sport modes), the leaning into turns, or the “helicoptering”, and the fast easy entry lift up, these are all subsidiary features provided by the software that operates this new hydraulic system, in addition to the core damper/spring/swaybar emulation. It can adjust each wheel separately for better comfort and road contact and attempt to reduce perceived G forces for passengers.

As to the weight, the parts look about the same size as PDCC parts, and this writeup seems say that the single air-spring PAR damper weighs less than the 2-chamber air spring damper of PDCC.

PAR on Panamera: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...ve-ride-panamera-christophorus-409-34747.html

PAR on Taycan: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/press-kits/taycan/Porsche-Active-Ride.html

Here’s a picture of PDCC:

Porsche Taycan Porsche Active Ride IMG_0059

Here’s pics of PAR:

Porsche Taycan Porsche Active Ride IMG_0058

Porsche Taycan Porsche Active Ride IMG_0060

The bulk looks about equivalent, after all it had to fit in the same space. The hydraulic pump handles both wheels on an “axle”, and is perhaps is similar weight to the PDCC active sway bar system.

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The heavier the car the bigger the benefit of active.

On a F1 car the benefit was dealing with the huge changes of aero load. I had never thought the benefit worthwhile on a road car but with cars getting heavier and heavier having both good body control and a good ride is more difficult to achieve.

I still think the air suspension is a good enough compromise for a road car, personally.

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
E-Tron GT Performance will also have the PAR. It can be deactivated in Comfort Mode and won't have the option for PAR in Dynamic mode (Taycan Sport +)

Audi being a GT, the PAR application is for comfort, not for sporty driving like the Taycan

View attachment 67173
Porsche Taycan Porsche Active Ride SmartSelect_20240415_160120_YouTube
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0