Electroad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, Honda S2000
Country flag
Getting very excited as the build lock date for my CT4S is very soon (October build). One final decision is home charging for my car. Do I go with Porsche EVSE, included in price, or do I use a better generic. If the latter, I’m pretty sold on Smappee but what do others think? Here’s my summary:

In Australia, 240V 3 phase power

Porsche 9.6 kW charge rate. To go up to 22 kW requires optional bigger on board charger costing AUS $3500
Cost of Porsche EVSE and cabinet included in vehicle cost, but Home energy manager (HEV) $1150 extra

Smappee

Load-balancing, Will reduce power to car charger if rest of house drawing too much power and threatening circuit breaker trip
Solar-only charging,
Smart scheduling
Built in home energy management
Scaleable, allows for 2nd EVSE
Charges other EVs

Quoted cost including installation $4380
Will still have Porsche EVSE for travel emergencies

Use Porsche

Cost of EVSE and cabinet included in vehicle cost

Home energy manager (HEV) $1150 extra
Installation $2940.
App allows selection of charge times, not smart solar unless buy HEV
Won’t charge other EVs

With HEV, total cost little different, but Smappee seems to offer so much more.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Getting very excited as the build lock date for my CT4S is very soon (October build). One final decision is home charging for my car. Do I go with Porsche EVSE, included in price, or do I use a better generic. If the latter, I’m pretty sold on Smappee but what do others think? Here’s my summary:

In Australia, 240V 3 phase power

Porsche 9.6 kW charge rate. To go up to 22 kW requires optional bigger on board charger costing AUS $3500
Cost of Porsche EVSE and cabinet included in vehicle cost, but Home energy manager (HEV) $1150 extra

Smappee

Load-balancing, Will reduce power to car charger if rest of house drawing too much power and threatening circuit breaker trip
Solar-only charging,
Smart scheduling
Built in home energy management
Scaleable, allows for 2nd EVSE
Charges other EVs

Quoted cost including installation $4380
Will still have Porsche EVSE for travel emergencies

Use Porsche

Cost of EVSE and cabinet included in vehicle cost

Home energy manager (HEV) $1150 extra
Installation $2940.
App allows selection of charge times, not smart solar unless buy HEV
Won’t charge other EVs

With HEV, total cost little different, but Smappee seems to offer so much more.
Given you have three phase supply then you'll be able to max out the standard 11kW AC onboard charger @ 32A.

If you don't need WiFi or other control of the standard PMC+ EVSE then you'll get the best value without investing more. PMC+ can be connected to your home network if needed (no real need to for most folk) via ethernet cable.

The car controls the charging and you can manage this via the PCM directly or via My Porsche App (or web site) where timers, charge level and profiles can be set.

Personally, I'd stick with what you get and see how that works for you before investing more.

PMC+ should also work with other EVs...in theory but some folk have had some challenges in this regard.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
No problems with the included PMC+. It charges fine at 9600 watts for me. I feel no need to spend extra money when the included charger is working just fine.

OP
OP

Electroad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, Honda S2000
Country flag
No problems with the included PMC+. It charges fine at 9600 watts for me. I feel no need to spend extra money when the included charger is working just fine.
Thanks. Yes, I understand PMC+ charges fine, but I’m trying to integrate with solar, charging car when electricity free, plus being able to charge other EVs in future.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
Thanks. Yes, I understand PMC+ charges fine, but I’m trying to integrate with solar, charging car when electricity free, plus being able to charge other EVs in future.
Yeah, I don’t know how to do that. The least complicated solution would appeal to me there…

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The PMC+ should be vehicle agnostic like many / all others - the issues begin when trying to use non Porsche EVSE features that the Taycan (or other Porsche) doesn't support. If you stick to using your EVSE in 'dumb' mode and rely exclusively on using the My Porsche App or PCM Charging tool then you should have no concerns.

Attached HEM config doc and some PMC+ docs (file is 25Mb which I can't upload) which might help.

Porsche Taycan Porsche charger or Smappee in Australia/ 1662126959067

Porsche Taycan Porsche charger or Smappee in Australia/ 1662127051830

Porsche Taycan Porsche charger or Smappee in Australia/ 1662127113372

Attachments

OP
OP

Electroad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, Honda S2000
Country flag
Thanks Winge. Seeing the HEM manual very useful. Confirms that for my new Taycan Porsche HEM will do everything I want, it’s just my feeling that a SMAPPEE system might be better future-proofing (especially when I buy second EV) and the total investment for purchase and installation is only a couple of hundred dollars more. Would love reassurance that I would not be losing anything with Taycan and SMAPPEE.

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Mike thanks for your post. I'm a March order so a few months behind you. I was planning to install a Zappi - this has come highly recommended from my electrician and a couple of friends with EV's. I was not aware of the Smappi but that looks to be a slightly better version from a tech persective (output the same). I am moving to an EV and my wife will be moving to an EV next year and I thought the one unit to charge both cars was the way to go. I have 3 phase power, home solar and batteries so can also integrate into my existing infrastructure.

OP
OP

Electroad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, Honda S2000
Country flag
Mike thanks for your post. I'm a March order so a few months behind you. I was planning to install a Zappi - this has come highly recommended from my electrician and a couple of friends with EV's. I was not aware of the Smappi but that looks to be a slightly better version from a tech persective (output the same). I am moving to an EV and my wife will be moving to an EV next year and I thought the one unit to charge both cars was the way to go. I have 3 phase power, home solar and batteries so can also integrate into my existing infrastructure.
Thanks Oz. Nice to find another Australian who is going for an independent EVSE. I looked closely at the Zappi but I’ve seen some negative feedback regarding reliability and Smappee seem to offer other options for the smart home. We will still have our Porsche PMCs anyway. So, you haven’t identified any downside of using Zappi with Taycan?

OP
OP

Electroad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, Honda S2000
Country flag
Have had my 4SCT 7 weeks now and love it. Went with Porsche PMCC and HEM after ridiculous quotes for Smappee and after teething problems getting everything right (installing electricians didn’t get it right, but another forum on this site was great help). All working perfectly, in particular being able to plug car in any time during day triggering charging exclusively from solar panels.

Jono

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, Ducati Panigale V4S
Country flag
Im use the supplied Porsche one in Australia with the 3 phase power upgrade at the board. It works fine. Very easy with the app. I didnt bother with the Home Energy Manager even though it came with the car. I also didn't bother with my initial idea of getting solar installed (even though Im on the sunny Gold Coast) as I realised all my charging is done over night 2 or 3 times a week so unless I was using a TESLA power wall or similar its a rather moot point and even then a single TESLA powerwall would not hold enough juice to do a big charge. The only time I have ever charged during the day time is at the odd public charging when Im out and about just to get the empty EV car park.

Porsche Taycan Porsche charger or Smappee in Australia/ a2
Sponsored