Porsche Hybrid Charger - incompatible with Taycan?

TaycanUK

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Panamera Turismo Hybrid
Country flag
I have recently taken delivery of my UK Taycan 4S. Just thought I would share some information about my previous charger system.

I have a Panamera Turismo and the associated 2018 charger. As the charger for this car was already on the wall I decided to plug the Taycan into this. The salesman told me it was compatible, however, it appears not to be.

Mine only charged my vehicle to 86% no matter how long I left it and got confused in doing so. The charge light on the port said it was still charging yet the display in the car said charging was not occurring.

I have since swapped over to the Taycan supplied system and all is well. 100% and 204mls range showing.

A note regarding the leads of both old and new chargers...

The Taycan charger-to-car cable does not fit into the output of the older charger (they have actually changed the sockets around so the outlet socket has become the inlet and vice versa). The Result is you cannot use the longer hybrid cable on the Taycan charger which comes with a shorter cable. The cables do appear to be different thickness, presumably to allow for greater currents. The same goes for the input ceeform (blue commando) to charger cables.

Anyone else noticed this?
Sponsored

Powdermike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
East Hampton NY, Beaver Creek CO and Los Angeles
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 Cayenne Hybrid
Country flag
I have a 2019 Cayenne Hybrid. I use the two chargers interchangeably with no problems on either car.

When I received my Cayenne, however, it took them three months to release a software upgrade for the charger system. Then it worked fine. (They had to the have the car and charger to do it.)

I also use an adapter for the 40 amp three prong to a four prong socket and it works fine - after the Hybrid software upgrade.

If your charging caps out at 85%, check your charging timer and profiles.