Stewartt997

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST4S
Country flag
My first year contract for Porsche Charging is due to expire soon. I'm currently charged £0.30 / kW using Ionity network. Has anyone renewed recently and can tell me what the current rate is? Just wondering if it's altered with changes in energy prices. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
My first year contract for Porsche Charging is due to expire soon. I'm currently charged £0.30 / kW using Ionity network. Has anyone renewed recently and can tell me what the current rate is? Just wondering if it's altered with changes in energy prices. Thanks in advance.
Check the information in MyPorsche app under My Account/ charging services. The countries and prices are listed there

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
You might not need to renew. Mine appeared to be expiring, then automatically renewed without asking for payment. I think that during some periods Taycans were offered three years of free subscription, and at least in my case this seems to be set up as three separate years. Or so I am surmising; the dealer has no idea.

And in answer to your question yes it is still 30p for Ionity. Attached is my calculator for effective UK price on different types of charger. It takes rough average throughput of the charger (based on adding 50 kWh during the session) and converts that into p/kWh. The chart shows the bizarre side-effect of Porsche's pricing: the crappier the charger, the more you pay!

Porsche Taycan Porsche UK Ionity Charge Costs Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 22.04.53

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
You might not need to renew. Mine appeared to be expiring, then automatically renewed without asking for payment. I think that during some periods Taycans were offered three years of free subscription, and at least in my case this seems to be set up as three separate years. Or so I am surmising; the dealer has no idea.

And in answer to your question yes it is still 30p for Ionity. Attached is my calculator for effective UK price on different types of charger. It takes rough average throughput of the charger (based on adding 50 kWh during the session) and converts that into p/kWh. The chart shows the bizarre side-effect of Porsche's pricing: the crappier the charger, the more you pay!

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 22.04.53.png
That spreadsheet says it all and is exactly why we have just done the south of France and back on solely IONITY chargers. Worked an absolute charm and left more budget for vin de soif and other treats!

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I believe that Porsche Charging Service is complimentary for 3 years on a new car….

Someone in UK correct this, if this is a wrong assumption.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 22.04.53.png
Nice work !

Mind sharing your excels sheet with the formulae...will save me putting in the calculations….

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
Nice work ! Mind sharing your excels sheet with the formulae...will save me putting in the calculations….
Sure. Attached. Feel free to fix any mistakes I have made :)

In cleaning it up, I added some calculations to see whether it's worth renewing the card at £179/year. The answer is, generally, "not really". Very Porsche :). And "it depends".

Bottom line: for what I would consider to be a reasonable mix of where you charge, you need to be using public chargers for at least 613 kWh/year before you break even on paying for the Porsche card.

Although the convenience might be worth it. And more so if Ionity get their capacity into balance or start managing out the worst customer behaviours that lead to queuing and bottlenecks.

Attachments

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Bottom line: for what I would consider to be a reasonable mix of where you charge, you need to be using public chargers for at least 613 kWh/year before you break even on paying for the Porsche card.
Interesting spreadsheet. But why have you two different average charge rates on a 350 kW Ionity and non-Ionity charger? The car is what determines the rate so if the charger truly is capable of 350 kW it must be the same.

As you say in your post it all depends if it is good value or not. If you always charge at home and hardly do any long road trips, you may just skip the subscription. But if you use the car for travel around Europe it will soon pay off. 600 kWh is about 1800 miles driving.

For me it will pay off after one single road trip to visit the UK, about 1850 miles.

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
But why have you two different average charge rates on a 350 kW Ionity and non-Ionity charger? The car is what determines the rate
The speeds are subjective, I agree. Just a guess on the average rate through a full session. I pushed down the non-Ionity rate a bit because at least in the UK, we have some chargers that claim to be 350 but don't deliver anything like that - eg they are shared between two cars or they are just underpowered. (I guess Ionity would struggle to average 200kW too, but as it has no time charge there is no impact of tweaking that number on the sheet.)

If anyone would like to contribute more scientific numbers feel free.
Sponsored