Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Hi. Currently on my second EV, a BMW i4 M50 (a very good car). In the absence of anything else as good looking and also electrified, the Taycan is a distinct possibility as the next stop on my automotive journey to bankruptcy. But it wont fit in my old garage. The M50 is snug; I'm not sure the Taycan will even go through the door. So is it mad to buy such an expensive car and leave it on a driveway open to the extremes of British weather?

Also, how many people have kerbed wheels because this thing is as wide as an I-Pace (whose £4K carbon fibre insert wheels I kerbed in a damned multi-storey)? Man, I hate kerbing wheels, and I feel the Porsche is tailor-made for it.
Sponsored

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
The car is large and the low riding position makes you feel it’s even larger. Yes the 21 rims are like porcelain and the slightest mistakes will make a dent 😅 BUT you can easily repair them for a couple of $ so I wouldn’t over dramatize it. Not sure about carbon fiber rims though… those must be very expensive to repair I guess.

ineedanoriginal

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Just go for black wheels and then carry a thick Sharpie pen in the glove box to colour-in any issues ;)

Multi-story car parks are my nemesis. I hate them with a passion and will do almost anything to avoid going in them with my CT4s. As for leaving the car outside: I leave mine on my drive as the garage is full of other junk! I keep the car clean and so far it doesn't seem to have caused any issues.

DennisVR

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 997s
Country flag
I don't know your garage but it fits better in my garage than i expected. Having surround camera view helps with parking it in tight spaces.

OP
OP

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Just go for black wheels and then carry a thick Sharpie pen in the glove box to colour-in any issues ;)

Multi-story car parks are my nemesis. I hate them with a passion and will do almost anything to avoid going in them with my CT4s. As for leaving the car outside: I leave mine on my drive as the garage is full of other junk! I keep the car clean and so far it doesn't seem to have caused any issues.
I'd contemplated the idea of going for back wheels, as a sand down and spray would tidy them up quickly and easily. If I do get a Taycan I can honestly say I will avoid multi-storeys like the plague that they are. Glad the outdoors doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on the car. I'd wrap a big chunk of it anyway.

OP
OP

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
I don't know your garage but it fits better in my garage than i expected. Having surround camera view helps with parking it in tight spaces.
It would stick out by 10cm, and I doubt I could actually open the door far enough to get out.

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
You could spec the Manoeuvre assist as part of the extra parking assist package. It's very proactive at keeping you away from kerbs. It basically beeps and flashes red on the screen if you're about to and will even nudge the steering wheel a bit. While I'm not a fan of being nannied by the car avoiding kerbed wheels is fine by me.

OP
OP

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
You could spec the Manoeuvre assist as part of the extra parking assist package. It's very proactive at keeping you away from kerbs. It basically beeps and flashes red on the screen if you're about to and will even nudge the steering wheel a bit. While I'm not a fan of being nannied by the car avoiding kerbed wheels is fine by me.
I think I'm looking at pre-owned so I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Hi. Currently on my second EV, a BMW i4 M50 (a very good car). In the absence of anything else as good looking and also electrified, the Taycan is a distinct possibility as the next stop on my automotive journey to bankruptcy. But it wont fit in my old garage. The M50 is snug; I'm not sure the Taycan will even go through the door. So is it mad to buy such an expensive car and leave it on a driveway open to the extremes of British weather?

Also, how many people have kerbed wheels because this thing is as wide as an I-Pace (whose £4K carbon fibre insert wheels I kerbed in a damned multi-storey)? Man, I hate kerbing wheels, and I feel the Porsche is tailor-made for it.
Couple of things

1. I leave mine parked out on the road. We don't have the luxury of a drive. I would wax it regularly. Mine still looks amazing after a year.
2. I have scragged the wheels several times. Mine are the £1600 a wheel Aeroblades. Bad parking will scragg, it is inevitable. I would say the auto parking is great if you are really worried. As a minimum get the surround park assist view. It has a great camera angle that looks down the car parallel to the kerb. So only carelessness will scragg 'em. I also use the surround view in tight places or multi storey car park ramps. You can assign it to the custom button on the steering wheel.

3. Finally, any damage can be fixed. My wheels were £1600 each and my wheel guy makes them brand new. I documented my tales of scragg woe here https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...s-curb-rash-repaired-it-happened-again.10874/

OP
OP

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Couple of things

1. I leave mine parked out on the road. We don't have the luxury of a drive. I would wax it regularly. Mine still looks amazing after a year.
2. I have scragged the wheels several times. Mine are the £1600 a wheel Aeroblades. Bad parking will scragg, it is inevitable. I would say the auto parking is great if you are really worried. As a minimum get the surround park assist view. It has a great camera angle that looks down the car parallel to the kerb. So only carelessness will scragg 'em. I also use the surround view in tight places or multi storey car park ramps. You can assign it to the custom button on the steering wheel.

3. Finally, any damage can be fixed. My wheels were £1600 each and my wheel guy makes them brand new. I documented my tales of scragg woe here https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...s-curb-rash-repaired-it-happened-again.10874/
Yeah, I've had wheels fixed in the past. I guess it's inevitable – I just wondered if the Taycan was a worse culprit than other cars.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Yeah, I've had wheels fixed in the past. I guess it's inevitable – I just wondered if the Taycan was a worse culprit than other cars.
Driving forward into a parallel parking space will do it every time. Better to reverse in even if the gap can fit 2 Tincans! Surround view is your new best friend.

OP
OP

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Driving forward into a parallel parking space will do it every time. Better to reverse in even if the gap can fit 2 Tincans! Surround view is your new best friend.
Yeah, the BMW has a similar surroundview and I use it ALL the time. I barely look out of the window or at the mirrors.

For my intended budget, there seems to be some VERY nice nearly-new cars out there...

OP
OP

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
So I've been looking at a lot of cars in my budget bracket of between £100K and £120K. There are some ex-demos floating around and nearly-news, so for a laugh I've been putting their number plates into Motorway,com to see what their value is, and a £120,000 4S on a 72 plate – really huge spec – would fetch just £73,400! (£46,600 lower if you're bad at maths.) I've seen differences like this with others cars, but even taking Ito account dealer markup, servicing, checks, warranties, 'used car' depreciation etc, does this seem extreme to anyone else? Or is it just me?

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Seems steep. Ask Motorway to buy it for you and see what they say? 🤷‍♂️

I’m expecting 10% depreciation per annum but I’m not worrying about it and bought the car to enjoy.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
So I've been looking at a lot of cars in my budget bracket of between £100K and £120K. There are some ex-demos floating around and nearly-news, so for a laugh I've been putting their number plates into Motorway,com to see what their value is, and a £120,000 4S on a 72 plate – really huge spec – would fetch just £73,400! (£46,600 lower if you're bad at maths.) I've seen differences like this with others cars, but even taking Ito account dealer markup, servicing, checks, warranties, 'used car' depreciation etc, does this seem extreme to anyone else? Or is it just me?
Most Porsche cost options apparently add little value at resale (unless of course Porsche are selling), so that £73,400 is largely derived from the base price new.
Sponsored

Reactions: MG.