OP
Adrian@GlasWerksDMV

Adrian@GlasWerksDMV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, GT4.5, Dakar & 296GTS Ordered!
Country flag
Its cool I guess but you can get PTS for 12K so it seams a little odd to spend 14K for a wrap ? Especially since as soon as a rock damages the wrap (which is inevitable) you are going to see black paint underneath. Even worse if the color is more contrasting.

Its the same argument I ask about doing stealth wraps on top of gloss paint . I understand the use of PPF as a sacrificial layer for special expensive paint (I had my entire $30K Bianco Fuji paint 488 Spider done). I also understand the wrap business is huge now but this stuff at this price point is silly IMO. Sorry…..

I think you missed the whole part of this post that specifies this is colored PPF not a wrap lol, This just as thick and protective as the STEK Dyno Shield Clear PPF we install, has the same self healing top coat as well as Hydrophobic layer, This is protecting the entire car (Because it's PPF) and also changing the color and not adding any texture/Orange peel that a vinyl color change wrap would add. In person at our recent Pups & Porsches C&C event we had to explain this to the dozens of local photogs because they thought they were looking at paint (because it doesn't look like a wrap).

If you were going to PTS the Taycan this color it would run 12K then additionally you could expect to pay an additional 6-10K for full body PPF (less if your ok with kit installation quality) This approach actually makes more financial sense then ordering the car PTS imo, I'll be covering my Taycan CT in a colored PPF when it arrives.
Sponsored

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Im not missing the point. I understand it completely. More natural looking colored PPF?

MY POINT with these color or sheen altering wraps/PPF is that once they are damaged ( again this is inevitable unless you dont drive) you have this massive contrast of the real paint below. Having done PPF on my cars (about 40) for over the past 15 years I can assure you that with clear PPF when it gets damaged you usually see a a slight hase in the film but because the color is the same its not as noticeable. However if you had a white taycan and put a purple PPF after a few miles now you have all these white spots on your car. The same holds true for Matte films on glossy paint. There are plenty of owner reviews online about this issue

Last point is if you are a perfectionist and want to repair these areas, the cost is, per your admission, 2x as much to replace the damaged panel.

Again I understand wrap guys have a business to run and currently its a very popular and profitable business but I think its important for people to understand the potential issues of what they are trying to achieve. For me I ordered a PTS Turbo S to replace my 2021 4s and its sitting in Amsterdam awaiting a transport ship but I can assure you the first thing I do is get it PPF, but just with clear…..

pcgeek

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Mercedes GLS 63, Ram 3500
Country flag
...the first thing I do is get it PPF, but just with clear…..
I couldn't be happier with it. It was originally in to just get a full-body clear PPF but then we saw the sample of the purple and for a few k more it was totally worth it. The camera doesn't really do it justice but it's gorgeous in person and a relatively subtle, dark purple until the sun hits it and the metallic flake pops.

It goes surprisingly well with the burgundy interior which was just a bonus.

Since I was getting it PPF'd anyway, I look at it more as a small premium to get a custom color both my wife and I love and still have all of the protection we were looking for from the PPF.

Adrian and crew did a great job with the application and unless you look really closely at some of the corners and know what you're looking for, you can't tell that it's not paint.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
Good Morning everyone!

We just finished up a project i thought i would share with you all. We recently completed a full body PPF installation on a 2022 taycan 4S, It came to us Black...we wrapped it in STEK DynoPurple PPF, THIS IS NOT a VINYL product, zero orange peel, 8mm thickness, amazing depth and clarity, Still self healing and hydrophobic like regular STEK DynoShield only with color! Truly indistinguishable from paint unless you know what you're looking for. Much harder to work with compared to regular PPF as we can't see through it and are essentially doing everything by feel. any questions feel free to ask away!

Viola Metallic was the inspiration developing this color with STEK.

251050507_3001791273427735_5145581723430457077_n.jpeg
250332202_3001791286761067_8312594023913284339_n.jpeg
251249101_3001791290094400_1485272271466290293_n.jpeg
253854426_3007356159537913_4207639211658951900_n.jpeg
255121145_3007356149537914_6167713753197977812_n.jpeg
240604082_3007356142871248_3637493814708043840_n.jpeg
254539415_3007356139537915_8312742754984158942_n.jpeg
255923209_3007356146204581_3999888330414938013_n.jpeg
248014013_3007356152871247_695461470166368402_n.jpeg
240599785_3007356156204580_8373037870958432891_n.jpeg

251252421_3001791276761068_2810462994842354187_n.jpeg

248355936_3001791283427734_1527726812725804122_n.jpeg
Looks amazing,..but I do get the point about PFS vs this colored wrap and each has points. I just think I'd rather probably go with PFS if i want a unique color and protect it....also although it looks great the value of PFS vs a wrap for a unique color can't be reproduced no matter how good the installation or film. One can always tell the difference as the OP notes if one knows where to look. But very very good option and alternative if money and repairs are not a factor for the owner.

Great job and always great to have options out there with these wonderful cars! :)

Last edited:

pcgeek

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Mercedes GLS 63, Ram 3500
Country flag
FWIW, one of the benefits for me (other than not having to wait for PTS) is that when I go to sell it in a few years, I won't necessarily have to find a buyer for a Purple car. Sure, they can keep it purple but it can also just be sold as a black taycan.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Its cool I guess but you can get PTS for 12K so it seams a little odd to spend 14K for a wrap ? Especially since as soon as a rock damages the wrap (which is inevitable) you are going to see black paint underneath. Even worse if the color is more contrasting.

Its the same argument I ask about doing stealth wraps on top of gloss paint . I understand the use of PPF as a sacrificial layer for special expensive paint (I had my entire $30K Bianco Fuji paint 488 Spider done). I also understand the wrap business is huge now but this stuff at this price point is silly IMO. Sorry…..
this isn't wrap. Its PPF - hence the thickness. Regular color change vinyl wrap is 1/2 the thickness with no protective qualities, and it will do exactly what you are mentioning...damage with a rock chip. This stuff is bulletproof, self healing, impregnated with ceramic, and lays down better than a high quality paint job. WIth the right installer, its gonna be difficult to tell its a wrap.

Im doing black on my car next month and currently getting my other car wrapped with it in Miami Blue...its amazing stuff!

Porsche Taycan PTS Viola Metallic...... via PPF Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 7.33.09 PM

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Ironically the only people posting these videos are installers that are trying to sell people PPF at massive profits So they can afford their own Porsches and Ferraris. Good for them I say but let’s be honest as to what this is going to look like after a few rock chips. Again, having had every PPF on the market on my cars over the last 15 years, I dont know a single one that say “if you get a rock chip thought the panel we will replace it for free“. I can tell you I’ve had chips that don’t hurt the paint and others that do. Sure They are more protected with PPF but its not even close to 100%, especially driving on the freeway at high speed behind other cars or trucks that can send these rocks with over 150mph of force at your car.

I’d love to see someone post a video of a white car with purple or blue PPF after it gets a few rock chips after regular driving. Will any of them ever say “no problem if the white shows through we will replace it for free” -No chance. They will say live with the white specs on your hood or we can peel it off and replace for $1500. I’d love to have one of the installers say Im wrong ………..

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Ironically the only people posting these videos are installers that are trying to sell people PPF at massive profits So they can afford their own Porsches and Ferraris. Good for them I say but let’s be honest as to what this is going to look like after a few rock chips. Again, having had every PPF on the market on my cars over the last 15 years, I dont know a single one that say “if you get a rock chip thought the panel we will replace it for free“. I can tell you I’ve had chips that don’t hurt the paint and others that do. Sure They are more protected with PPF but its not even close to 100%, especially driving on the freeway at high speed behind other cars or trucks that can send these rocks with over 150mph of force at your car.

I’d love to see someone post a video of a white car with purple or blue PPF after it gets a few rock chips after regular driving. Will any of them ever say “no problem if the white shows through we will replace it for free” -No chance. They will say live with the white specs on your hood or we can peel it off and replace for $1500. I’d love to have one of the installers say Im wrong ………..
Yikes...... tough crowd on here. Lol.
I for one love the Viola car. Just got mine back from having front PPF done, with the same Jet Black color car.......
I say if you have the money, are going to do full PPF anyways, and want something fun and truly unique for a few years over an already great looking black car, why not.
I would guess most rock hits over self healing purple ppf over a black car will look just fine, and if not you probably have a dent anyways.
Would it be my choice? Probably not. But like the OP said, it's cheaper and a cool change if you're going to get full PPF done anyways.
?

OP
OP
Adrian@GlasWerksDMV

Adrian@GlasWerksDMV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this isn't wrap. Its PPF - hence the thickness. Regular color change vinyl wrap is 1/2 the thickness with no protective qualities, and it will do exactly what you are mentioning...damage with a rock chip. This stuff is bulletproof, self healing, impregnated with ceramic, and lays down better than a high quality paint job. WIth the right installer, its gonna be difficult to tell its a wrap.

Im doing black on my car next month and currently getting my other car wrapped with it in Miami Blue...its amazing stuff!

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 7.33.09 PM.png
I'm assuming this is Stek Miami blue?? what shop is doing it would love to follow along!

OP
OP
Adrian@GlasWerksDMV

Adrian@GlasWerksDMV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ironically the only people posting these videos are installers that are trying to sell people PPF at massive profits So they can afford their own Porsches and Ferraris.

-I certainly don't speak for other shop owners but I do this as a passion play business. This isn't a get rich industry, the money for my toys came from much larger enterprises.

Good for them I say but let’s be honest as to what this is going to look like after a few rock chips.

-Unless you actually puncture all the way to the paint this isn't an issue, we do hundreds of cars a year and unless its a heavily rallied car or tracked we rarely see striked large enough to penetrate. The film isn't for every scenario and use case. Im sure some shops would try it on anything but we have more foresight then that.

Again, having had every PPF on the market on my cars over the last 15 years, I dont know a single one that say “if you get a rock chip thought the panel we will replace it for free“. I can tell you I’ve had chips that don’t hurt the paint and others that do. Sure They are more protected with PPF but its not even close to 100%, especially driving on the freeway at high speed behind other cars or trucks that can send these rocks with over 150mph of force at your car.

I’d love to see someone post a video of a white car with purple or blue PPF after it gets a few rock chips after regular driving.

-Chances are you will never see a white vehicle wrapped in colored PPF, we have had this discussion with clients wanting to try and as you pointed out a penetration would look horrible hence we havn't done it, currently we're redoing the PPF on our Carmine red GT4.5 in Miami Blue PPF, this is the most drastic swap we have done but....its a shop car so we can take extra precautions like double layering the forward facing areas for when it gets a strike (we replace the film annually on the car as it actually gets tracked heavily.

Will any of them ever say “no problem if the white shows through we will replace it for free” -No chance. They will say live with the white specs on your hood or we can peel it off and replace for $1500. I’d love to have one of the installers say Im wrong ………..
Of course we would never replace something for free, nor would we promise the instance you mentioned wouldn't be possible only highly unlikely. we treat PPF as a consumable same as brake pads & tires.

cheers.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Really amazing work! No room for gaps in these kinds of applications. I imagine you learn a lot of new techniques for eliminating them when you do this. I understand @RCorsa’s point, but there is certainly room for this kind of work. It is extravagant and quite impractical. But it’s a great way to change your car color - which some people want to do - without harming the original paint color. We are talking about Porsches anyway, so we clearly don’t mind extravagant and impractical.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Im a customer not an installer. That said, These wraps remove body parts and the good ones are custom cut; unavoidable for color changes. They take the better part of 40/50 hours to install and the rolls of product which tend to do about 1 car will cost in Stek's case $3,500.00.

One mistake, like a crease in a hood, and the job becomes a losing proposition.

No offense but you really don't know what you are talking about. PPF isn't magic it's protection.

The only 100% protective remedy is not driving your car. Just like Trojan, they work but don't claim to guarantee you won't see a surprise in due course.

Last edited:

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm assuming this is Stek Miami blue?? what shop is doing it would love to follow along!
It is - I've done a few wraps and PPF. Never seen anything like this stuff - absolutely stunning in person. The pics don't do it justice unless you know what to look for.

The shop is Elite Customs in Concord CA.

OP
OP
Adrian@GlasWerksDMV

Adrian@GlasWerksDMV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Excellent! I will follow along, here's a few snaps of a Urus we just completed in the Dynoshift green PPF. When STek developed this they actually used the paint codes from Porsche PTS Chromaflair Python green, the 95K PTS color.

Its absolutely incredible, you're right unless you see this in person it's hard to explain to people. Just showed the lambo dealer the car and they still believe its colored vinyl with clear ppf over it lol. We'll post pro photos on our socials when they're finished.

Porsche Taycan PTS Viola Metallic...... via PPF 271857929_464982341792463_1274736625667201063_n

Porsche Taycan PTS Viola Metallic...... via PPF 271198085_461364675526145_2816892651513506844_n

Porsche Taycan PTS Viola Metallic...... via PPF 271786392_649094742909310_8994162468207340676_n

Porsche Taycan PTS Viola Metallic...... via PPF 270532385_1004671210479264_8358530717865999616_n