Put the Winter Wheels/Tires and saw a significant range bump

• Thread starter Deleted member 6348
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Deleted member 6348

My Taycan 4S came with the Mission E wheels and summer performance. They’re awesome, but it’s getting cold, so I had my 20” Sport Aero winter wheel set popped on the Taycan. While not nearly as iconic as the Mission Es, the wheels do look sharp and I enjoy the seasonal change. Immediately after the swap, I drove 500 miles. As expected, more aerodynamic make a big difference.

With my performance battery equipped 4S, I am now tracking to about 240 miles at 70MPH — that’s about a 30 mile bump for me and not shabby. Interesting to see where the guess-o-meter recalibrates itself in the coming weeks.

Porsche Taycan Put the Winter Wheels/Tires and saw a significant range bump 36BC4555-1A3A-407C-9DE4-446D22A1FDA1
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
This is somewhat widely documented. I think the conclusion is it's the rubber compound creating more friction. The weight and aerodynamics make a difference but people have gone from summers tires to all-seasons on the same wheel and seen a noticeable increase.

I have the same problem. Even if I hyper-mile, I can't get the range numbers others get and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the wheels and tires. I have Pirelli P-Zero tires; which summers do you have?

OP
OP

Deleted member 6348

This is somewhat widely documented. I think the conclusion is it's the rubber compound creating more friction. The weight and aerodynamics make a difference but people have gone from summers tires to all-seasons on the same wheel and seen a noticeable increase.

I have the same problem. Even if I hyper-mile, I can't get the range numbers others get and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the wheels and tires. I have Pirelli P-Zero tires; which summers do you have?
Pzero Summers

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The losses in different wheel/tyre combinations are due to both differences in rolling resistance and the aerodynamics, tyre size tread and wheel design influence drag.

I would guess most summer tyres have a lower rolling resistance than winter tyres but people often have their winter tyres on narrower, more aerodynamic wheels, as here.

My winter tyres on my current car are on the same size wheels as the summer tyres and neither set of wheels are particularly aerodynamic, I lose 5 to 10% range when I fit my winter wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My Taycan 4S came with the Mission E wheels and summer performance. They’re awesome, but it’s getting cold, so I had my 20” Sport Aero winter wheel set popped on the Taycan. While not nearly as iconic as the Mission Es, the wheels do look sharp and I enjoy the seasonal change. Immediately after the swap, I drove 500 miles. As expected, more aerodynamic make a big difference.

With my performance battery equipped 4S, I am now tracking to about 240 miles at 70MPH — that’s about a 30 mile bump for me and not shabby. Interesting to see where the guess-o-meter recalibrates itself in the coming weeks.

36BC4555-1A3A-407C-9DE4-446D22A1FDA1.jpeg
20" vs 21" + more areo dynamic explains much of the range increase.

If the TPMS has been set correctly to denote winter wheels then the guessometer should align accordingly.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag

36BC4555-1A3A-407C-9DE4-446D22A1FDA1.jpeg
I use the same set-up for winter/summer. But I did not notice a range decrease when I flopped back to mission-e wheels/tires. Probably due to warmer temperatures in the spring/summer which may have offset the lack of aerodynamics associated with mission-e wheels. Like you, I do enjoy the seasonal change -- and there is something about the sport aeros that just seems better suited for winter driving. Maybe the fact that they partially cover the rotors gives me some illogical sense of feeling protected from the harsh winter elements. And the sport aeros really do look great.

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
The losses in different wheel/tyre combinations are due to both differences in rolling resistance and the aerodynamics, tyre size tread and wheel design influence drag.

I would guess most summer tyres have a lower rolling resistance than winter tyres but people often have their winter tyres on narrower, more aerodynamic wheels, as here.

My winter tyres on my current car are on the same size wheels as the summer tyres and neither set of wheels are particularly aerodynamic, I lose 5 to 10% range when I fit my winter wheels.
My wife's ID3 came on 18" Summers and I picked up a set of OEM 19" Winters on eBay, mainly to have a different wheel design. Found it interesting that the tyre width is exactly the same on 18/19/20 on the ID3, only the profile changes so there is little range change between them. Winters obviously reduce the range a bit but I thought that was smart by VW to avoid any big drops. Not really an option for the Taycan admittedly.

My CT is ordered with different 20" Summer and Winter wheels so should be interesting to see the difference in range there. If it ever arrives...

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
My wife's ID3 came on 18" Summers and I picked up a set of OEM 19" Winters on eBay, mainly to have a different wheel design. Found it interesting that the tyre width is exactly the same on 18/19/20 on the ID3, only the profile changes so there is little range change between them. Winters obviously reduce the range a bit but I thought that was smart by VW to avoid any big drops. Not really an option for the Taycan admittedly.

My CT is ordered with different 20" Summer and Winter wheels so should be interesting to see the difference in range there. If it ever arrives...
Your wheels might come before your car ? 😂
Sponsored