Winter experience and advice -- battery, efficiency, range, driving tips?

VTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Audi S5, Volvo XC90
Country flag
Now that temperatures are dropping across the Northern US and this is my first winter with the Taycan, I am curious what to expect. My range has declined from about 3.2 mi/kwh to 1.9 mi/kwh as temperatures have fallen into the 20 degree range. Curious if others have experienced a similar decline (~40%) in efficiency? For context, I have the RWD with 20 inch Continental All Seasons. Figure I will use my SUV if the snow is really bad and ground clearance is an issue.

Also any tips on boosting range efficiency or winter driving with the Taycan that might be helpful for the group?

Below is an interesting article Porsche had written on the topic:

https://www.porsche.com/stories/mobility/can-you-drive-a-porsche-electric-car-in-winter
Sponsored

Uknown

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY20
Country flag
I noticed about the same. I mostly drive locally and still well under the estimated range each day. I was only plugging it in every few days but now that it is colder I just plug it in every night so it is nice and warm and 85% when I start the day.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
My Taycan was my ski car so I spent a lot of time driving it in cold weather. This article is an excellent summary. My cheat sheet for winter is: 1) put on snow tires if you are going to drive in the snow 2) pre-condition if you can 3) If in doubt about whether to top off your charge or not, top off and 4) go easy on the heater, especially the front and rear defrosters.
Sponsored