Race-Tex Aging

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Greetings all,

I have (presumably) first dibs for a summer allocation for Nov/Dec '22 GTS delivery. I'm hoping it'll be a MY23 but that's for another thread. I opted for the full leather interior since it'll be my daily, but I wanted to keep some race-tex, so I intend to keep the race-tex steering wheel with the B-pillar in race-tex to match. What has everyone's experience been with race-tex aging? I'm worried about the steering wheel aging horribly and that'll deter me from the race-tex. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

mangobay

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST 2023. Cayman GT4 (981); BMW X5 40i
Country flag
Mine is holding up pretty well after 10,000 miles. Needs cleaning with a brush occasionally to look after the pile but you can also have them recovered down the line if you need to I suspect. It’s a really nice addition in my view.

NYF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (not delivered yet)
Country flag
I saw a used 4s with race-tex steering wheel at my dealer. It felt very worn, like it had dried out sort of. I didn't notice the age of the car unfortunately, but it put me off of speccing it for my own car.

Im sure if you put some effort into it, it will last longer, but I do think that leather will be easier to maintain.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
How difference is ‘Race-tex’ to the Alcantara wheels of old?

After 7 years and almost 20,000 miles, the alcantara wheel on my 991.1 GT3 still looked great, but the car was maintained fastidiously.

OP
OP
Atipical

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hmmm it might be easier to just go with leather. This will be my daily so I know I won’t want to worry about hardcore preservation of the steering wheel I’m using 85% of the time in a multitude of conditions.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Certainly if it’s a daily driver where you just want to get in and drive, then the leather option will be more user friendly, I suspect.

terryS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Bentley GTC
Country flag
Greetings all,

I have (presumably) first dibs for a summer allocation for Nov/Dec '22 GTS delivery. I'm hoping it'll be a MY23 but that's for another thread. I opted for the full leather interior since it'll be my daily, but I wanted to keep some race-tex, so I intend to keep the race-tex steering wheel with the B-pillar in race-tex to match. What has everyone's experience been with race-tex aging? I'm worried about the steering wheel aging horribly and that'll deter me from the race-tex. Thoughts?
After 16 months and 14,000 mi I've had no problems or signs of wear with racetex

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
I dare say it’s likely going to remain in a nice condition for longer than leather. Most of the wear we can observe on race-tex steering wheels are related to sweat and dirt. Easily removed, loads of guides on YouTube will show you how to do that.

Last edited:

Hugo

First Name
Hugo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (ETD 15 July)
Country flag
Greetings all,

Hello mate. I’m exactly in the same position. Order a GTS and it will be my everyday car. I’ve opt for an all leather interior but that race-Tex steering wheel is still flying on my mind. So far, the majority of advices is to stay with leather for a more “intense” usage.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Leather will outlast race-tex for sure. The race-tex is a synthetic and textured material. After much use, it will show wear on the steering wheel. Leather will basically last forever if you keep it in good shape and clean/condition. My race car has an alcantara wheel and the wear is quite evident.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Leather will outlast race-tex for sure. The race-tex is a synthetic and textured material. After much use, it will show wear on the steering wheel. Leather will basically last forever if you keep it in good shape and clean/condition. My race car has an alcantara wheel and the wear is quite evident.
I'm not sure the wheel on your race car would have the same level of care as most people's cars? Presumably you'd also be wearing race gloves which would be more aggressive on the wheel?

I think with some care and basic maintenance, a Race-tex wheel will look absolutely fine for many years, based on my experience.

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I'm not sure the wheel on your race car would have the same level of care as most people's cars? Presumably you'd also be wearing race gloves which would be more aggressive on the wheel?

I think with some care and basic maintenance, a Race-tex wheel will look absolutely fine for many years, based on my experience.
Yes, the gloves probably put a bit more wear on the wheel, and of course there is a bit more 'adjustment' that goes on vs normal driving. I do agree if you take care of the race-tex it should last for some time - just not as long as leather, and I really can't say what it will look like in 5-10 years. I can say a leather wheel, if reasonably maintained, will look virtually new.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, the gloves probably put a bit more wear on the wheel, and of course there is a bit more 'adjustment' that goes on vs normal driving. I do agree if you take care of the race-tex it should last for some time - just not as long as leather, and I really can't say what it will look like in 5-10 years. I can say a leather wheel, if reasonably maintained, will look virtually new.
As above, my Alcantara wheel looked like new after 7 years and 20,000miles, but I was very careful and for sure a leather wheel would definitely be easier to look after.

aatothek

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E92 M3, S6 AVANT C7, Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
No Race Tex can get anywhere near my car ?
I have two children who only have to look at something and f#@k it up, so it has to be all leather here...
Race Tex feels sooo GTS tho
Sponsored