stevie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bmw
Country flag
I know this isn’t specific to the Taycan so apologies if it’s not for this forum

has anyone done any research on radiation emitted from electric cars and safety - I would have assumed the batteries are well insulated and protected from the driver but a quick google search shows there may be some risk

before I go down the electric route (and I know we are going that way anyway) I just wandered what people’s thoughts were on this and if its Something to consider ?

Is the Taycan more advanced and safe from other models in any way with respect
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
there is little to any evidence that AC/DC current @ 800V poses any radiation safety issues.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
No evidence. No science. You are quoting Oil company bullshit propaganda intended to frighten people away from electric vehicles.

Same bullshit levels as Ant-Vaxxers, Flat Earthers, and climate change deniers.

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
You need to get up to UV frequencies at minimum to get to the ionizing range of electromagnetic radiation where you can worry about harmful effects.

The light coming off the display will probably be the closest to this but that will be both staying within the visible light range and also relatively weak amplitude. No different than any other car with a display.

Then the computing components will be below that at some single digit GHz at best. Radio frequencies for cell connections will be around that (1.9 GHz or so in the US).

Below that are radio frequencies for audio.

And then way way down at the bottom are the frequencies associated with power switching.

All of these frequencies are in the non-ionizing range, that is, not mutagenic. Nothing to worry about!

Last edited:

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
I suspect walking down any street now exposes you to more EM radiation that you’re getting inside a car that’s essentially a faraday cage (with allowances for phones/Satnav obviously). Where in the world isn’t absolutely plastered with wifi or 3/4/5g coverage these days?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I know this isn’t specific to the Taycan so apologies if it’s not for this forum

has anyone done any research on radiation emitted from electric cars and safety - I would have assumed the batteries are well insulated and protected from the driver but a quick google search shows there may be some risk

before I go down the electric route (and I know we are going that way anyway) I just wandered what people’s thoughts were on this and if its Something to consider ?

Is the Taycan more advanced and safe from other models in any way with respect
Electromagnetic energy affects the human body, however it takes a lot to harm you. It scares me every time I have an MRI because I know it is a monstrous AM radio transmitter, but its damage is considered small.

The electromagnetic components of the Taycan are well shielded and highly unlikely to harm you. The wiring in your house has far more radiated energy and a cell phone on your ear is worse. Bought a house 300 feet from a 12,000V transmission line once. Used a sensitive Fluke multimeter to measure the radiation from the power line to the back deck - nothing, nada. Walked into the kitchen with the same antenna array and measured a significant amount of voltage (but probably harmless).

Feel safe around the heavy shield boxes of high energy electrical components in your Taycan. I am more worried about the neck strain.

OP
OP

stevie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bmw
Country flag
Thanks all good advice - it was less around the components in the cabin - lights etc it was more about the batteries that line the base of the car and on which the passengers sit - I know a normal phone battery emits radiation so wandered what such a significant amount of batteries would do with an EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
know a normal phone battery emits radiation so wandered what such a significant amount of batteries would do with an EV
please cite any references as to “how” you know this? I’m unaware of any actual data or facts that support this assertion.

Last edited:

OP
OP

stevie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bmw
Country flag
please cite any references as to “how” you know this? I’m unaware of any actual data or facts taht support this assertion.
I am not a scientist ? - just trying to get the facts - Not saying I know them here is one article I read https://www.defendershield.com/electric-cars-emf-radiation-could-your-tesla-be-bad-for-you/

Not sure how true it is and there are many more like it via a quick google search

if anyone has more factual information that would be useful

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://www.defendershield.com/electric-cars-emf-radiation-could-your-tesla-be-bad-for-you/

EMF Radiation Risks from Electric Cars
You cannot see the EMF radiation emitted by electronic devices, but repercussions in intense or long doses include cell damage, DNA fragmentation, fertility problems, and neurological effects that can lead to health disorders and behavioral issues.
  • Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) EMF radiation emits from all electronic devices, originating from their batteries, parts and internal circuitry.
  • Radio Frequency (RF) EMF radiation, emits only from devices that have wireless connections. Think cellular phone service, Bluetooth, and WiFi.
ELF radiation emits at a lower frequency than RF radiation, but both can cause biological effects in humans and the environment.

The closer you are to the transmitter or battery in an electronic device, the more you are exposed to this radiation, and the more at risk you are of developing adverse health effects.

With electric cars, a big battery is being used constantly at a very short distance away from your body, with electronic circuitry running all around you. This means you are exposed to an increased amount of ELF radiation
the statement above is unsubstaitiated and has no confirmed clinical or peer reviewed scientific basis - it's pure & simple fear mongering with no basis in fact or any evidence. This is typical of these sites, the claim is not proven, supported, or even factual. It's pure speculation and lacks any evidence to support it's assertions.

I recommend you find other sites for your information.

also anyone worried about electromagnetic fields should give it a good long hard think while sitting behind a diesel truck or automobile and breathing in the fumes - for which there is ample scientific and clinical controlled studies that the effects are harmful.

this thread like all threads in EV forums is pure FUD.

there is no credible evidence that normal day to day electromagnetic fields (like the ones found in EV's) pose any significant risk, and when compared to the alternatives (like gasoline vehicles) I'd suggest you are focusing on the wrong problem.

Last edited:

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
defendershield is trying to sell product. It took me one minute to do enough of a search to make it completely clear they were full of shit. If that's your source of information, this is probably not the car for you.

OP
OP

stevie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bmw
Country flag
defendershield is trying to sell product. It took me one minute to do enough of a search to make it completely clear they were full of shit. If that's your source of information, this is probably not the car for you.
I found this link below and the video as well which is on there which is really useful and answers my question and shows it’s not much of an issue from the tests they do - hopefully someone will find it useful and apologies to those of you I may have offended by asking the question

https://myelectriccar.com.au/do-electric-vehicles-cause-cancer/

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you seem to enjoy linking to sites that offer no evidence, but rather claims - if you don't like EV's don't buy one - but to date there is still no general scientific consensus that EMF offers any measurable risks...

now you're just stirring the pot - and you had your answer before you asked it - you clearly believe there is some potential harm.

OP
OP

stevie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bmw
Country flag
you seem to enjoy linking to sites that offer no evidence, but rather claims - if you don't like EV's don't buy one - but to date there is still no general scientific consensus that EMF offers any measurable risks...

now you're just stirring the pot - and you had your answer before you asked it - you clearly believe there is some potential harm.
I asked a simple question to something that was on my mind in a forum where i thought others may have already looked into this and have some information to share.

hopefully others with the same question in future may find some of this useful and provide them with some assurance and thanks to those who did help and provide positive comments above

Have a great Christmas

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
Thanks all good advice - it was less around the components in the cabin - lights etc it was more about the batteries that line the base of the car and on which the passengers sit - I know a normal phone battery emits radiation so wandered what such a significant amount of batteries would do with an EV
What are you talking about a cell phone might emit radiation via its transmitters to the cell towers but not the battery it just powers the cell phone. Using your logic one should never use a device with a battery in it... Wouldn't your BMW if connected to your cell via bluetooth emit the same radiation as your phone
Sponsored