Range exhausted, two miles from home. Help? FAIL!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Is the screw needed for operation? I haven’t used mine but may do in the summer and noticed when checking it over last night that the charger had been used - presumably by the dealership prior to delivery - and the screw was missing.
I don't remember, probably not for operation, more likely for being more water resistant. I'll look later and let you know if it is essential for operation.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is the screw needed for operation? I haven’t used mine but may do in the summer and noticed when checking it over last night that the charger had been used - presumably by the dealership prior to delivery - and the screw was missing.
I had a look when I went out to my car today, the screw is more to make sure it isn’t accidentally unlatched it seems to me, so not an essential part for use.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I had a look when I went out to my car today, the screw is more to make sure it isn’t accidentally unlatched it seems to me, so not an essential part for use.
The kit also comes with the corresponding torx wrench and a spare screw. The latch is very strong, so the screw seems to me to be a security feature - even if someone wanted to unlatch the cable while plugged in, they’d need a tool. (It’s a deterrent of the “are you sure” kind.)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The kit also comes with the corresponding torx wrench and a spare screw.
Yes that is why I was looking at mine for @gramorris who received his without the screw and torx key. I bolted mine together straight away but it stops it sitting in the foam moulding in the boot. I have only used it once in the last 14 months but am hoping my daughter gets a commando socket fitted for when I visit.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Besides the already mentioned things which affect range, rain, snow, low temperatures, one important one that people often miss is the parking time. Taycan hides battery losses while parked (they show up in the first few miles drive after) but more importantly once your car and battery have had a chance to cool down while parked, the car will need energy to warm the battery and the cabin once started back up, which will eat up range. So any distance you do as a single trip will use less battery than if you split it into segments, with parking in between. An extreme example, driving 100 miles will use a lot less battery than driving 1 miles, parking it for an hour, then repeat 99 more times, even more if you choose to preheat the car remotely.

The other thing I recently learned (or confirmed, as I always suspected it), chargeing more often is actually better for the battery. Apparently it has to do with expansion of lithium crystals while charging (apparently they grow and shrink based on state of charge, or % of the battery, so going 7 times from 70%-80% causes less stress than one time from 10%-80%). A nice side effect of plugging in whenever in the garage, is you always leave with the battery at whatever you consider "full" - in my case I charge to the Porsche recommended 85%. For a decade I had Teslas, charged daily to 90% (Tesla recommended daily charging), oldest was 8 years old when I sold it, very little battery degradation.
Sponsored