Rear lights color in USA

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Ok, so it seems the corner lights are behaving as if they were a US version, only the very bottom bar is amber instead of red (but still acting as both brake and turn signal). Surprisingly the middle bar is not behaving the same. I would have expected the amber part to light up together with the brake/turn signal.

From post #7, it's supposed to work like this for turn signals outside of NA:
EU Turn Signal.png

Also from 2020 Taycan technical manual:
EU Rear Lights.jpg
Thanks! Those are helpful.

I agree. One would assume if the ambers for outer housings are acting like NA spec outer housings, the center direction lights should as well, light up during braking. I'm thinking perhaps the center logic is a bit different. As you mentioned before, the center could be faulty but I hope, hope.....the likelihood of that is low since there are no faults and it's basically brand new from Suncoast.

I have an appointment with another dealer in my area next week to get the heater recall done. I will ask them to take a look. I'm hoping it'll be easy as contacting Porsche to advise on the issue, and then sending instructions to the dealer to get it coded correctly.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
As you mentioned before, the center could be faulty but I hope, hope.....the likelihood of that is low since there are no faults and it's basically brand new from Suncoast.
I am not saying it is in fact faulty, but rather that a no-fault in PIWIS obviously does not mean the part is 100% working, since in this case there is a segment in the center bar which the car is obviously telling it to turn on during braking and turn signaling, but the part does not do that.

Side note, I picked up a set of non-NA lights from Suncoast too. They were on backorder for few months, then once they got here I haven't had a chance to install them yet.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
So there is no difference in the pinout, just the connector was thicker or something? It would be nice to see some pictures of the parts and the connectors.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So there is no difference in the pinout, just the connector was thicker or something? It would be nice to see some pictures of the parts and the connectors.
Maybe @mystermykee has some pictures handy, but AFAIK it's same connector just keyed differently, so you can just sand down some plastic key ridges to make it into a universal/unkeyed connector.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Maybe @mystermykee has some pictures handy, but AFAIK it's same connector just keyed differently, so you can just sand down some plastic key ridges to make it into a universal/unkeyed connector.
These pictures are from the body shop (Porsche approved collision center/where my local Porsche dealer sends all their cars) where I got the lights installed. Didn't get a picture of the pins on the male side, but per our phone conversation everything is the same except for the socket. The outside NA plugs have the ridge to the left, whereas NA is towards the middle.

Porsche Taycan Rear lights color in USA 73024293997__89D0F671-E3D9-4396-ABE9-0A614FB6CF61
Porsche Taycan Rear lights color in USA IMG_7797
Porsche Taycan Rear lights color in USA IMG_7798

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I am not saying it is in fact faulty, but rather that a no-fault in PIWIS obviously does not mean the part is 100% working, since in this case there is a segment in the center bar which the car is obviously telling it to turn on during braking and turn signaling, but the part does not do that.

Side note, I picked up a set of non-NA lights from Suncoast too. They were on backorder for few months, then once they got here I haven't had a chance to install them yet.
Hopefully, you can install them soon so I can find out if my center indicator lights are bad!

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hopefully, you can install them soon so I can find out if my center indicator lights are bad!
I'll try to get to it in March. What delayed me was the backorder, by the time it arrived life got ultra busy, so the project got shelved (literally, sitting on my garage shelf).
Sponsored

Last edited: