Received a credit card charge for Porsche Smart Mobility. What is that?

OP
OP
SWORDER

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
You can also initiate charging sessions from the Porsche Connect app, which would also take advantage of the free charging. I would use this as a backup first before using the EA app as a last resort.
Oh, that's right. I had forgotten about the Porsche Connect app. Sales rep told me it was so poorly designed as to be virtually useless. App reviews said the same so I passed on it.

I thought the app was for stuff like remotely making the horn honk or preemptively setting the temperature, etc. Didn't realize you could use it for charging.
Sponsored

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Oh, that's right. I had forgotten about the Porsche Connect app. Sales rep told me it was so poorly designed as to be virtually useless. App reviews said the same so I passed on it.

I thought the app was for stuff like remotely making the horn honk or preemptively setting the temperature, etc. Didn't realize you could use it for charging.
I think it's a decent app. It does more or less what the Tesla app does; lets you monitor charging, see the car's location, trip details, send navigation destinations to the car, etc.

It's not flawless but I would not call it useless at all. In fact I'd call it a must-have for the car.

OP
OP
SWORDER

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I think it's a decent app. It does more or less what the Tesla app does; lets you monitor charging, see the car's location, trip details, send navigation destinations to the car, etc.

It's not flawless but I would not call it useless at all. In fact I'd call it a must-have for the car.
Maybe I'll try it at some point, perhaps when the general consensus on the app changes for the better.

I know for some people on the forum, the ability to set interior temperature ahead of time is an absolute must. Here in San Diego, that's never been an issue for me.

State of charge and entering navigation I already can do via the charging app and Waze respectively. Although that's not to say that it couldn't be done more easily through Connect.

All I know is that the current state of affairs of having six or more different Porsche apps is beyond ridiculous. Maybe consolidating them into one (i.e. Connect) will be the change that inspires me to use it.

vestago

First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
You can also initiate charging sessions from the Porsche Connect app, which would also take advantage of the free charging. I would use this as a backup first before using the EA app as a last resort.
Thanks, all, for great answers and tips.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I also just got with a PORSCHE SMART MOBILITY charge on my CC a few days ago for $24. I checked My Porsche and there's a message about an invoice:

Porsche Taycan Received a credit card charge for Porsche Smart Mobility. What is that? 1633718995185

But when clicking the link to Download invoice, it just takes me to a page with my invoices, and there isn't one from 10/4/21 there.

I think I'll have to dispute this one, since I have no idea what it would be for.

Edit: nevermind, I figured it out. My ALK trial expired, so I've been billed for my first month of ALK access. Guess it's time to cancel it and then renew when I go on my next road trip.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Am I right that after 30 minutes, if your battery is not full, it will keep charging your car and charging your credit card? So you have to be there at exactly 30 minutes to disconnect it? I thought the 10 minute grace period meant there was some way to get 40 minutes before you had to get back to the car (30 charging + 10 waiting).

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Am I right that after 30 minutes, if your battery is not full, it will keep charging your car and charging your credit card? So you have to be there at exactly 30 minutes to disconnect it? I thought the 10 minute grace period meant there was some way to get 40 minutes before you had to get back to the car (30 charging + 10 waiting).
Correct, charging is not completely free, just 30 mins per session free. I believe you need 1 hr gap between charging sessions to get another 30 free minutes.

That said, IMO the pricing is really good and a lot better than gas. Rather than try and game the system, charge to the level you need for your trip.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Correct, charging is not completely free, just 30 mins per session free. I believe you need 1 hr gap between charging sessions to get another 30 free minutes.
Thanks, I know it's just 30 minutes, but does it not stop automatically after 30 minutes? Do you have to be there to stop it or else it will start charging you? Meaning the 10 min grace period is only helpful if your car reaches 100%.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Thanks, I know it's just 30 minutes, but does it not stop automatically after 30 minutes? Do you have to be there to stop it or else it will start charging you? Meaning the 10 min grace period is only helpful if your car reaches 100%.
It does not stop after 30 minutes. I wasn't aware of a grace period either. I just start a timer when I plug in so that I am next to the charger when 29 minutes hits.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't think they charge enough for people that leave their car tethered to the 350kW charger and disappear for hours...there are only 2 close to me and it seems like they end up being parking spots for fully charged cars, rather than charging.

Slight side note, but I think Porsche should have made the 350kW charge connection slightly different than the standard connection so we could avoid literally every other car that randomly connects to them (my favorite is the Chevy Bolt) and cant take advantage of the throughput.
Sponsored