Removing a wrap

SunnyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i8
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

Lots of lovely pictures on this forum where folks have wrapped their cars.

I'm thinking of doing the same, but wondered if anyone could share their experience of removing a wrap. i.e. was there any issues? Was the original paintwork undamaged? Given what they know, would they not recommend wrapping?

Cheers,
Sunny
Sponsored

RSouthern

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS and several others and 2 MCs
Country flag
I've had all my cars wrapped (front half: full Hood, bumpers, mirrors, door edges, door handles, trunk area, and areas behind the tires/rocker panels) I haven't done a full wrap since that requires removing the badges and I fear they won't go on right after being removed. I've been a user of PPF for the past 15 years with a variety of PPF films, from Starshield (on my Lotus Elise) to the current Xpel on the Taycan and X7. While I've never had any paint problems, there is always a risk of there being a problem when removing the film (this assumes the installer doesn't cause any damage!).

I would recommend that if you get to the point where you would need to remove the film, have a professional do it. They know hard hard to pull the film and how much heat to apply to soften the adhesive. And how to safely remove any left over adhesive without dulling the paint. Successful removal will also depend on the age of the film. I've heard that the recommendation is to replace the film after 5-7 years for the clear/glossy PPF. I don't know about colored or matte finish but would assume the same. With that being said, I have had standard PPF film on my E39 M5 since I bought it new, so that's now 23 years! It's still clear (no yellowing) and able to be removed since I had a small piece replaced under the front splitter about 5 years ago. Same with my Lotus from 2005, still has the original film, no yellowing or cracking.

The things that can happen if you aren't careful when removing the PPF include pulling up the clear coat and/or the color coat, which would be very bad. This seems to be a problem if the film was applied to paint that hadn't fully cured (like from a repair) or the paint was damaged somehow before the film was applied.

I recently saw a detailer on youtube ("Out of Spec Detailing" I think) saying that he doesn't recommend PPF any more because bugs can stain it, and while that's true and I have seen bug stains and bird poop etching on my car's film, I consider PPF a sacrificial layer, like a REALLY thick wax coat that you don't have to reapply every 2-3 months. PPF has protected my cars from numerous rock chips, bird poops, tree sap and scratches (intentional and accidental) as well-meaning cleanings where grit was stuck in the wash cloth (that was me). In my opinion, it's worth the cost in pretty much 100% of the situations and seeing a small bug stain or surface defect in the PPF doesn't bother me since I know it's in the film, not the pain and can be easily and cheaply replaced. I have never regretted having it on my cars, motorcycles and Jeep. Yeah, I drank the Kool-aide :)

Last edited:

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Not an exact answer for you but... I had a piece of PPF removed and replaced on my front bumper. They were able to get it off without causing any damage to my paint at all.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
I had a small section of PPF removed from the trunk of my car after about 4 years and there was no paint damage. I believe the prior owner reused the original badges rather than new ones following PPF, and one of them shifted.

You should definitely buy all new emblems if you remove for PPF application or, as above, do not put film over those areas of the car.
Sponsored