Settings for Road Trips (other than default Range Mode)?

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Well, I made it. The trip was a bit like the tale of two cities. I had charged to 100% last night, and this morning the planner said I would have two stops in normal but only 1 stop if I used range, so I used range. It predicted that I would arrive with 8% charge, and I actually arrived with 5%, which is not bad considering there was a wreck on the way that stopped traffic for awhile and it rained slightly. I had set innodrive for 10 mph above speed limit, which was actually 10 mph below the speed limiter set by the range manager (PIRM). Ride was fantastic, and the only time I noticed any difference was one bump near the exit of the freeway, which reminded me to go to normal. Tech worked great and I actually think j I got more practical range from this than from my Tesla Model X even though Tesla claims much higher ranges. I was nervous towards end of trip (arrived with 5 miles of range), so briefly went to eco plus, which wasn’t pleasant. Eco was fine.

The real game changer here is how fast the Porsches charge. I went from near zero to 100 in less time than my family needed to use the restrooms and eat lunch. Amazing.

Second part of trip was shorter and I had plenty of range, so I drove in normal and at whatever speed I wanted (often triple digits). I’m a little surprised that it didn’t have more of an impact on consumption. I think the Taycan had better aero so it doesn’t hit a consumption wall that way the Tesla X does around 70 mph

Also, turning off speed adjust for innodrive solved nearly all of my complaints about the system.

Porsche Taycan Settings for Road Trips (other than default Range Mode)? 62708AB9-CBC6-40AE-8987-5842E2401C13

Porsche Taycan Settings for Road Trips (other than default Range Mode)? 47E6CD0F-F655-4B84-B3CB-3E91A28E2EB1

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I would typically find a semi going 5 mph or so above the speed limit, turn on autopilot and tuck in behind the truck at the closest setting. I found that my range would increase by 30% typically. This extra range let me cut down stops such that it was shorter overall than driving faster without an aero shield.
That's too bold for me - with my luck, the semi would throw a rock and crack my windshield. I hope it doesn't happen to you.

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I continue to be amazed at how much Porsche seemingly underestimates range, which requires a real rethink from my days with Tesla, where I needed to build in big cushions to avoid getting stranded.

So, the car was fully loaded and I have 22" wheels, neither of which is good for range. I drove using innodrive and only 5 mph above speed limit (which actually puts you only 1 or 2 mph above the speed limit since Porsche also overestimates speed) and I was in range mode, so I don't think I could have really changed my driving habits to improve much. But I still see people here getting much better than 2.9 mi/kwh. Am I missing any other variables short of putting on smaller rims/low resistance tires?

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Trip finished. I learned a lot on this longer trip:

1. I personally found range mode to be absolutely fine. No material downside to using it from my perspective other than it turns off passenger control screen.

2. On the east coast, EA charging stations were fine. Biggest problem was drivers whose cars didn’t need 350 kWh charging taking those spots instead of the 150 kWh spots. First few times I let it go and didn’t say anything. Last time I asked politely and found out that it was a rental and they didn’t know. They moved for me. A LOT of education needs to be done, and the labeling and signage at the chargers is awful. They should just make all of them 350 kWh so that it doesn’t matter where you charge.

3. I finally figured out how to use the free Porsche charging BUT it kept giving me slower charging rates, so I turned it off and paid the $10 to charge fast. Anybody know why that is?

4. The range predictions and consumption is much more predictable in Taycan than in Tesla. I feel a far higher degree of confidence, and would have no issues in trusting 10% remaining at arrival.

5. The user determined settings seemed to have a far lower impact on consumption than all of the factors that are out of your control. Moral of the story? Don’t sweat it. I wouldn’t “waste” energy on things you are not using (e.g., rear climate control, sport sound, etc.), but the rest is fine.

6. Speed, while relevant, seems to have a much lower impact on consumption than speed had in my Tesla Model X. In the Model X, range would plummet/consumption skyrocket when you exceed 70 mph. In Taycan, it did not seem to hit a cliff ( speeds of 90 to 105 didn’t seem to have a huge impact). Maybe Taycan has better high speed aero?

7. Here are my stats. They total day graph is misleading because day started with running errands around Syracuse. Driving went generally from more conservative at beginning of day with less traffic to more aggressive in terms of speed and settings combined with more intervals of super heavy traffic.

Porsche Taycan Settings for Road Trips (other than default Range Mode)? D1CA0ABC-6B57-46E0-A26E-70D11672FF97

Porsche Taycan Settings for Road Trips (other than default Range Mode)? E1512CC8-7AB0-4E38-90F7-F91866AF59EE

Porsche Taycan Settings for Road Trips (other than default Range Mode)? 86798B2F-D569-4ACA-89DC-844AF4D77EDE

Porsche Taycan Settings for Road Trips (other than default Range Mode)? 829831C0-6B49-4596-9E6D-D2468F972DB5

In conclusion, however, the real game changer is super fast charging: I could arrive at 10% and be at above 90% faster than my family could use restrooms and finish lunch. It added zero time to our trips (and I found “slightly” better options around EA chargers than around Tesla chargers).

Last edited:

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
3. I finally figured out how to use the free Porsche charging BUT it kept giving me slower charging rates, so I turned it off and paid the $10 to charge fast. Anybody know why that is?
I assume you are talking about using the My Porsche app to activate a 30 minute free session at an Electrify America charger. That is the only way I've fast charged for the last two years / 25,000 miles. (Plug-and-charge was not an option for my MY2020.) How did you determine that a paid session gives you a faster charging rate? When arriving with a low state of charge and a pre-heated battery, I often start at ~250 kW with a free session.

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I assume you are talking about using the My Porsche app to activate a 30 minute free session at an Electrify America charger. That is the only way I've fast charged for the last two years / 25,000 miles. (Plug-and-charge was not an option for my MY2020.) How did you determine that a paid session gives you a faster charging rate? When arriving with a low state of charge and a pre-heated battery, I often start at ~250 kW with a free session.
I activated plug and charge before beginning trip, pulled up to 350 kw charger, plugged in, started charging (no hitches), but the rate was only 120 or so. So, I unplugged the charger, deselected plug and charge option on PCM, plugged back in, but this time started session using EA app. Instantly 270 kw or so. Only minutes between, so can’t be state of battery causing this. I just stuck with paying via the EA app.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I activated plug and charge before beginning trip, pulled up to 350 kw charger, plugged in, started charging (no hitches), but the rate was only 120 or so. So, I unplugged the charger, deselected plug and charge option on PCM, plugged back in, but this time started session using EA app. Instantly 270 kw or so. Only minutes between, so can’t be state of battery causing this. I just stuck with paying via the EA app.
What happens if you use the My Porsche app instead of the EA app? When I've had to call EA technical support, they've recommended I use the My Porsche app to initiate the charge, instead of the EA app. Once I go past the 30 free minutes, Porsche bills me for additional use of the EA charger, so there is some kind of financial transaction between Porsche and EA when using the My Porsche app.

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What happens if you use the My Porsche app instead of the EA app? When I've had to call EA technical support, they've recommended I use the My Porsche app to initiate the charge, instead of the EA app. Once I go past the 30 free minutes, Porsche bills me for additional use of the EA charger, so there is some kind of financial transaction between Porsche and EA when using the My Porsche app.
Thanks. I’ll try that next time.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Just did a long slog from Dallas to Louisville (originally planned on breaking up over two days but was forced to do in one push).

ABRP is super conservative - even when tuning the inputs to the efficiency the car states, ABRP assumes the full battery only goes 200 miles. I was impressed with the Porsche charging planner that was strangely accurate. At one point it suggested I run 200 miles on one leg with a 90% starting charge and I arrived exactly at the initial estimate despite variable speeds and traffic (12%). The CT4 range should be around 240-250 miles @80-82mph which I was very happy with. Above that speed you could see efficiency drop precipitously. I’d gamble running around 72-75mph would get you 300 mile range.

Normal mode seemed just as efficient as range mode though the carconsistently forecasted an extra 5 miles with range mode.

Porsche Taycan Settings for Road Trips (other than default Range Mode)? FCCDCAEA-8B9B-48DA-8A14-6C5B289E81ED
Sponsored