Speculation - Is the 'turbo' designation ending?

Yorkshirepuds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Harley Heritage, Triumph Rocket 3
Country flag
We've learnt that the facelifted Macan is no longer going to have a 'turbo' model with the revised GTS filling the previous turbo slot (with a virtually identical power output).

The 'turbo' designation on 911s has become somewhat redundant with the Carrera models all having turbocharged engines anyway.

Porsche have taken some stick for using the Turbo designation on electric cars which, obviously, don't have turbochargers.

So.... my guess is that the turbo brand is, over the next few years, going to be phased out from Porsche models altogether. I'd put a tenner on the 22 Taycan lineup being rebranded to: The base model (Taycan or Taycan 4CT), then 4S, then GTS (to replace the turbo), then something else to replace the turbo S (I'd put another fiver on it being GTRS!).

Just wild speculation of course, I could be just talking rubbish.... wouldn't be the first time...
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Not going anywhere.

tomw00

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RRS P510e, i3S,Turbo
Country flag
We've learnt that the facelifted Macan is no longer going to have a 'turbo' model with the revised GTS filling the previous turbo slot (with a virtually identical power output).

The 'turbo' designation on 911s has become somewhat redundant with the Carrera models all having turbocharged engines anyway.

Porsche have taken some stick for using the Turbo designation on electric cars which, obviously, don't have turbochargers.

So.... my guess is that the turbo brand is, over the next few years, going to be phased out from Porsche models altogether. I'd put a tenner on the 22 Taycan lineup being rebranded to: The base model (Taycan or Taycan 4CT), then 4S, then GTS (to replace the turbo), then something else to replace the turbo S (I'd put another fiver on it being GTRS!).

Just wild speculation of course, I could be just talking rubbish.... wouldn't be the first time...
I do find the term "turbo" embarrassing to be honest and have had model designation removed for that reason. It would be less ridiculous to call it Taycan FC ( Flux Capacitor )

Last edited:

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Someone should tell TurboTax that they should change their name because their software isn’t powered by turbochargers.

I think base turbo could go away but turbo s would stay. Forgot which model that Porsche already did that with because they said everyone went straight to turbo s anyway.
Sponsored