Stretch out battery??

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Daveo4v, a question here for you:
  1. less full charging = more battery life…(don’t charge to 100%)
  2. less full ‘drain’ = more battery life…(don’t run it down to 10% or less all the time)
Since the above will affect total charges during battery life, how does the utilization of 1 & 2 above, which will naturally reduce the number of charges affect battery life when comparing 1 & 2 above to the total number of charges. Do we know the battery degradation trade off or are we just assuming it is less degradation of the battery to charge cycle more times using less through put to the battery?

For example, if one charges 4X to 100% instead of 5X to 80%, the result is one extra charging cycle at 80% versus to 100%. Over a 1000 charging history to 80%, one will charge 200 times more than at 100%. Just curious.
Charge cycles are not counted by the number of times you plug in… it’s simply [total kWh charged into the battery] / [net battery capacity].

Thus charging 5 times 10% is the same as charging 1 time 50%.
Sponsored

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
All I know is my 2020 4S has done less than 5500 miles, only ever been charged on a home 7.4kW charger to 100% once and the rest of the time to 85%. Guess what? Porsche are replacing the battery pack! Go figure!!!
Why?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Greetings!

Enjoying the heck out of my new Taycan! The concierge at my dealership advised me to stretch out my battery for the first 1500 to 2500 miles or so by charging fully to 100% and letting it go down to around 25%. Rinse and repeat.

Since this is contrary to standard advice to go to 85%, wanted to check if anyone has concerns with this.

Thanks!
??? Smells like BS….

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Charge cycles are not counted by the number of times you plug in… it’s simply [total kWh charged into the battery] / [net battery capacity].

Thus charging 5 times 10% is the same as charging 1 time 50%.
Also in its literature on the Taycan Battery, Porsche refers to 2,000 charging cycles at a high depth of discharge before losing utility.

But it doesn't tell you what a high depth of discharge is and what they mean by utility. From other sources the high depth of discharge is often quoted at 80%. and the battery utility above 80% of its original capacity.

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
Indeed,
Charge cycles are not the same as charge sessions. Charge cycle is 0-100%, which for us (pp battery) is 83KWh. Taking 10 sessions to place 83KWh of energy still counts as 1 cycle.

Now, I think there is evidence that doing so in the 50%-70% range is better for the battery chemistry than fuller discharge cycles. This is a good explanation of how these batteries work and what causes the degradation (spolier: loss of free lithium ions)

AHayat

First Name
Amjad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF, Audi A7 Comp Edition, CLS53 AMG
Country flag
Daveo4v, a question here for you:
  1. less full charging = more battery life…(don’t charge to 100%)
  2. less full ‘drain’ = more battery life…(don’t run it down to 10% or less all the time)
Since the above will affect total charges during battery life, how does the utilization of 1 & 2 above, which will naturally reduce the number of charges affect battery life when comparing 1 & 2 above to the total number of charges. Do we know the battery degradation trade off or are we just assuming it is less degradation of the battery to charge cycle more times using less through put to the battery?

For example, if one charges 4X to 100% instead of 5X to 80%, the result is one extra charging cycle at 80% versus to 100%. Over a 1000 charging history to 80%, one will charge 200 times more than at 100%. Just curious.
All sounds like recommendations over the last 2 years for covid, don’t make any sense

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
How does the battery temp affect degradation when charging? A cold battery takes some time to warm up when charging, and the charging power is software limited until the battery warms up with DC charging.

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
what is KNOWN about LiON batteries is less is more

less charging = more battery life…(charge when necessary)
less full charging = more battery life…(don’t charge to 100%)
less full ‘drain’ = more battery life…(don’t run it down to 10% or less all the time)
less fast charge rate = more battery life…(why charge at 270 kW when 150 kW will do the job)
I just re-read this. I live right across the street from the Dealership and can use their higher speed charger when I walk tot he gym. When I did it last week, I was charged from 50% to 90% in about 30 mins. I was thinking this was a nice benefit (faster charging at no expense to me) but maybe that isn't a good idea and I should just use my home charger.

eagletangogreen

First Name
Luie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
I just got out of my Tesla plaid and picked up my CT this weekend the service advisor told me the the same (to charge to 100% TILL ABOUT 2000 MILES). Sounds like BS to me?
Sponsored