Stuck Mute Control

hox1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla X, 2016 Tesla S, 2020 Taycan 4S Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

New owner here, picked up my Dolomite Silver 4S a couple of weeks ago, very happy with the experience overall.

My first bug: Turned on the vehicle today and the volume was on "permanent mute" mode, showed as "-1" on the display. Called two local dealers, both never heard of it, wanted me to leave the car with them for a week, no promises. Somewhat disenchanted, I fiddled with it myself and what worked was: Holding down the knurled volume control on the steering wheel for 10 seconds. One second up to 5 seconds didn't do anything, so 10 seconds it is if this happens to you.

Initial impressions of the car, my first Porsche:

(1) Really built well, much tighter than my previous numerous Mercs, Ferraris, Beemers, Bentleys, etc.
(2) The Burmester stereo + the thicker glass option is honestly like being in a concert hall. Again, no top end sound system in my other cars approached this. My wife's Tesla X sounds fantastic as well, but this is uniquely special.
(3) I got the aluminum and outer color additions to the black leather interior and it's beautiful for the price, lightens up an otherwise overly dark interior.
(4) The glass roof doesn't seem to affect the interior temp, it's been over 100 for several weeks in Texas and no problem at all. If you put your hand next to the roof glass when you first get in, there's definitely a layer of hot air next to the glass but it seems to dissipate with a couple of minutes of AC.
(5) The Electrify America experience sucks. Filled up once when I didn't know how to use the App and got charged $17, then later when I got the App working it wouldn't connect for more than 30 sec at 2 different stations. Useless.
(6) The supplied charger at 240V and 40amp gives me 24-36 mph at home and that's more than enough for my purposes. You have to figure out how to limit it to 85% yourself, the dealer was no use at all.
(7) The dealers have not been trained in this vehicle, and that includes service. Forums like this one are the only source for useful information.
(8) Apple Carplay being wired isn't great but better than nothing. Mercedes is much worse.
(9) My Porsche Connect experience has been very good, it's not as fluid or as robust as Tesla's but I can remotely charge, schedule/turn on AC, see my charge status, don't need anything else personally. Even without those the car is worth the hassle IMO.
(10) The back window doesn't bother me, it's big enough at least for my purposes.
(11) The backup camera is laughably bad, but with great care you can avoid most obstacles. The Tesla experience is much better.

Overall, no major shortcomings for a new vehicle at least so far.

Thanks to the members of this forum. It's been most helpful.
Sponsored

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag

(7) The dealers have not been trained in this vehicle, and that includes service. Forums like this one are the only source for useful information.
I think I’ve trained my dealership very well!!! They know more about the car every time I tell them about it.

:cool:
(I crack myself up)

Las Vegas Taycan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
This -1 mute problem happened today? I will need to try the 10 sec hold .... Ugh.. Had a 911, Macan S and now a Taycan. The PCM is the most unstable S/W i have ever encountered.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag