Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
I wonder if anyone has had this problem … I charged the car overnight 48 hours ago, but the electric RH port will now not close. However, the yellow warning light states that it is the LH side that is is faulty, which I have used only once. Any thoughts ?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Sadly I've been there and done that. It could well be faulty and so off to the dealer you must go.

There is a manual way to close the door (see Porsche Good to Know App - Taycan for details).

It may also be a false positive and may resolve after you've locked it and left it for a couple of hours.

Ideally don't leave your car on charge for 2 days (other potential issues - 12V battery drain - another problem you don't want to have).

Does the car still charge (on both sides)?

I had the issue when the charge port failed but the door closed. Issue related to the opposite side i.e. the other door / charge port so the message is probably indicating that. Total faff but now resolved.

OP
OP
Olicanian

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
Sadly I've been there and done that. It could well be faulty and so off to the dealer you must go.

There is a manual way to close the door (see Porsche Good to Know App - Taycan for details).

It may also be a false positive and may resolve after you've locked it and left it for a couple of hours.

Ideally don't leave your car on charge for 2 days (other potential issues - 12V battery drain - another problem you don't want to have).

I had the issue when the charge port failed but the door closed. Issue related to the opposite side i.e. the other door / charge port so the message is probably indicating that. Total faff but now resolved.
Thanks for the reply - I feared as much !

I actually did manage to open the ( apparently faulty ) LH port once, so now one is permanently locked shut and the other permanently locked open.

I usually charge overnight, maximum 11 hours to date, so should be OK on the 12v battery drain.

Reluctant to close the RH port, as I don’t want to be in a position that means I can’t charge the car. Waiting for news from Porsche, Kendal, but they’re moving premises today, so it might be a while !

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

What’s this about not leaving the car on charge for a couple of days? There are free chargers at the airport and I may be away for 2-3 days. Is that a bad idea? I would plan on charging to 85% and then switching off but the cable would be plugged in for 2-3 days.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Check the forum for more reports but Porsche issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) some months back in reference to the 12V battery drain issues which some people had experienced.

One of the points of guidance was to not leave your car connected to the charger for longer than 72 hours. There is communication between the car and charger which relies on the 12V battery (amongst other things) and due to a software bug / issue there was a risk that the communication could become extended and start causing an issue.

I haven't experienced this but know others have. It may well be that the issue was resolved as part of the recent WMA5/6/7 updates which were rolled out.

The 12V battery is a fundamental component of the car (many non-drive train features) and to risk a possible drain is a major inconvenience to say the least.

It may no longer be an issue but I don't like to gamble and certainly wouldn't leave my car connected to a charger for longer than needed.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Check the forum for more reports but Porsche issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) some months back in reference to the 12V battery drain issues which some people had experienced.

One of the points of guidance was to not leave your car connected to the charger for longer than 72 hours. There is communication between the car and charger which relies on the 12V battery (amongst other things) and due to a software bug / issue there was a risk that the communication could become extended and start causing an issue.

I haven't experienced this but know others have. It may well be that the issue was resolved as part of the recent WMA5/6/7 updates which were rolled out.

The 12V battery is a fundamental component of the car (many non-drive train features) and to risk a possible drain is a major inconvenience to say the least.

It may no longer be an issue but I don't like to gamble and certainly wouldn't leave my car connected to a charger for longer than needed.
I always leave my car plugged in and it usually sits for 4 or 5 days between drives. I have never had a problem. However, that is not saying I won’t have an issue in the future. My car was updated with the software to fix the 12v issue before I picked it up.

OP
OP
Olicanian

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
I always leave my car plugged in and it usually sits for 4 or 5 days between drives. I have never had a problem. However, that is not saying I won’t have an issue in the future. My car was updated with the software to fix the 12v issue before I picked it up.
What’s this about not leaving the car on charge for a couple of days? There are free chargers at the airport and I may be away for 2-3 days. Is that a bad idea? I would plan on charging to 85% and then switching off but the cable would be plugged in for 2-3 days.
Gone a bit off-topic here, chaps, but I’m pleased to report that the port has closed now of its own accord and I have been able to open it again.

The last time, it jammed shut was also when we had had heavy rain, so maybe these ports just don’t like water !

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Glad to hear it resolved, I have a confused LH port that would start coming down and go back up partially after a bit of rain. I let it sit for a few hours and it “healed” itself.

Oh well.

bxwatso

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT
Country flag
I can't close my manual port cover. I've had it to the dealer once, their fix lasted about 3 days and the problem is back, and now it's another 3-week wait to get another repair appointment.

I did not find the manual way to close the door in the online manual. I found the way to manually open, but not close (which is what I need). Probably my fault for not finding it. Could someone help me out and copy and past these instructions, or otherwise describe how to make it close?

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
However better stack open than stack close
Sponsored