TAYCAN Instrument Cluster Tubes Information Density

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
If PORSCHE reads this, why is the interface selection on the the Taycan so different from the previous instrument clusters of the predecessor PCM's?

2015 Panamera 4, right LED Instrument cluster: When you use the right steering wheel control wheel, you can roll through the various choices of Navigation, Map, Media, Information, etc..... A simple roll of the wheel shifts to each screen, quick and easy without having to make any selection.

In the Taycan, for Each Tube you roll the steering wheel selection knob and a list of selections are shown, which require a look and a second push of the roller wheel to select the information. You have to look down and read the choice versus the Panamera just flipping to another screen.

Having just completed a rally on some back roads, a simple rolling between Information and trip would be very helpful and require less concentration from the driver. Roll back and forth between info screens, not roll-read-click.

One more question....
Does anyone find the Taycan instrument cluster information density to be rather sparse? As an Example, on my 2009 911S, tire pressures are on the bottom of the Tach. Tire pressures are an entire Tube 1 screen in the Taycan.
Porsche Taycan TAYCAN Instrument Cluster Tubes Information Density Taycan Instruments copy

-- On the Tube 3 Taycan display, it would be good to show energy consumption Kwh/100miles on the "information" screen so you can see voltage, SOC and consumption rate at the same time, vice switching between screens per paragraphs above.
-- Combine performance metrics in Tube 3 and Nav or media in Tube 1.
Just a suggestion to allow more configurability of the 3 tubes to optimize info you need to drive in various situations,
-- Finally, Instrument Cluster configuration groups that allow you to preconfigure configurations of all three tubes based on your activity.

Its just software interface........ Thoughts?
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Does anyone find the Taycan instrument cluster information density to be rather sparse?
Totally agree. I wish the information displayed in the tubs would be much more customizable. Why not even allow customers to tinker with it by developing and uploading skins, completely rearrange UI data items.

Even something very simple like: Average consumption current ride AND average consumption since charging cannot be displayed at the same time.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
What I really want is to be able to scroll through radio favorites (when they don’t auto delete that is). I understand that’s a bigger Porsche issue that folks have wanted across models for years.

VOLT4GE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
What I really want is to be able to scroll through radio favorites (when they don’t auto delete that is). I understand that’s a bigger Porsche issue that folks have wanted across models for years.
It’s completely astonishing that we’re not able to do that.

OP
OP
356B

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
Further to an earlier entry in this thread, my Taycan is an amazing automobile. With that said, is the 3 Tube Binnacle display on the Taycan optimized for driving and managing this magnificent vehicle?

As an example, I am flipping between “information” and “Trip” displays to understand miles/KWh and percent battery and remaining mileage while the left tube shows tire pressure (a very static display and in my opinion, not worthy of an entire tube). I would suggest that Porsche Engineers critically assess the driver’s information requirements in various driving scenarios.

My suggestion, from a software standpoint, would be to allow the driver to mix and match displays in the left and right tubes. I don’t have a routine need for much of anything offered in the left tube except TPMS. It would be great to put Info in one tube and Trip in anther.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited: