Taycan options that will help with resale value

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Yea, i tried that out and my options on the Turbo were +20K more, vs +50K more on the 4S.
Don't need carbon fiber kit on Turbo since the aero front lip is already there in body color.

i'm 80% close to picking a Turbo unless my dealer says it will take longer to deliver.
That’s where I landed, until I went back and added more stuff before freeze….I couldn’t justify the jump to the turbo s - not enough benefit as far as I’m concerned - except of course bragging rights :)
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Let's put it like this, because you seem to be saying that all options are the same.
I don't think you understood what I was saying. The only way all options are the same is that they all depreciate, none of them appreciate (exclude the current market where inflation, supply chain issues, deferred demand, etc. are actually causing cars to appreciate). What this means is that there is no option which you get to enjoy for however long you keep your car, and get all your money back for it (again, barring inflation, but if we include that you then have to add inflation to your original price, since you could have just put that money in some inflation indexed savings account). Do some options depreciate faster than others, yes, but that is very market and time specific (for example some tech like Tesla Auto Pilot held its value until new generation tech came out, then it plummeted).

Let's put it like this, because you seem to be saying that all options are the same. If we agree that range anxiety is very much a thing in this market, range will be a factor in decision making. Take two cars in the market with similar mileage and build prices on the Monroney. One has leather, rear electronic controls and power ports and the other has the performance battery option. Outside of that they are optioned the same but the car with the bigger battery is asking marginally more - say $2,000 to be fair but both are within market value parameters. The car that specs at 250 miles vs. the car that specs at 199 miles will sell 8 out of 10 times over compared to its counter optioned choice.
While I agree that range anxiety exists for some people, it's not as universal as you suggest. If range was your primary concern or you'd be driving a Tesla, or Lucid, or Mercedes (EQS), rather than a Porsche - you could get a much higher range EV for the money you spent on a Taycan, and yet you chose the Taycan, so range doesn't beat all other options even for you. There are still people, some of whom you will find here, who spec out 21" wheels instead of the bigger battery on their Taycans. In your example, if both cars has identical lease residual, same miles, condition, etc, I suspect both would sell about the same price, just as likely as that the one with leather and 4 zone climate controls sells for more money as the one with bigger battery.

Perhaps your perspective comes from Tesla as the basis. If that is it, consider there are literally 4 options - battery, exterior color, interior color, and wheels - even those create a wide range of resell price points too! And, as you move up their stack even those choices reduce. Most Teslas are literally the exact same car and choice is up to Indi shops like Unplugged Performance.
Tesla Model S used to have more options, such as different interior combinations, various interior lighting options, different seats, heated seats, different suspensions, etc. Nowhere near the number of Porsche customizations, but more than today. Less options however does allow for better use value comparisons. There you will notice for example that the traditional car model holds, base trim depreciates less, options depreciate more, even if the option adds to the battery size (like the long range option Tesla once offered for their S85's).

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't think you understood what I was saying. The only way all options are the same is that they all depreciate, none of them appreciate (exclude the current market where inflation, supply chain issues, deferred demand, etc. are actually causing cars to appreciate). What this means is that there is no option which you get to enjoy for however long you keep your car, and get all your money back for it (again, barring inflation, but if we include that you then have to add inflation to your original price, since you could have just put that money in some inflation indexed savings account). Do some options depreciate faster than others, yes, but that is very market and time specific (for example some tech like Tesla Auto Pilot held its value until new generation tech came out, then it plummeted).

While I agree that range anxiety exists for some people, it's not as universal as you suggest. If range was your primary concern or you'd be driving a Tesla, or Lucid, or Mercedes (EQS), rather than a Porsche - you could get a much higher range EV for the money you spent on a Taycan, and yet you chose the Taycan, so range doesn't beat all other options even for you. There are still people, some of whom you will find here, who spec out 21" wheels instead of the bigger battery on their Taycans. In your example, if both cars has identical lease residual, same miles, condition, etc, I suspect both would sell about the same price, just as likely as that the one with leather and 4 zone climate controls sells for more money as the one with bigger battery.

Tesla Model S used to have more options, such as different interior combinations, various interior lighting options, different seats, heated seats, different suspensions, etc. Nowhere near the number of Porsche customizations, but more than today. Less options however does allow for better use value comparisons. There you will notice for example that the traditional car model holds, base trim depreciates less, options depreciate more, even if the option adds to the battery size (like the long range option Tesla once offered for their S85's).
Lots to unpack here but I'll stick the basics.

It's the car that depreciates and the options kind of come along for the ride. I don't know how you separate and depreciate an option. If it's the part itself, then a dismantler will tell you that the option is worth FAR more than the car. You might be able to buy a used car, say a BMW 5 series for 50K, but dismantle it and sell those 'upgrades' and now its work 150K. And, if it were an M5 vs a 530 which motor do you think will sell for more? In fact, the drivetrain should cost about 1/2 the cost of the car. I just purchased Carbon Ceramics for my R8 from a dismantler - the market was demanding far more than the option cost during the build!

Grab the wrong combination and the car becomes less desirable than its counterpart with said option. You used 21" wheels as a reference vs a big battery - a great example of what I am saying...if the cars are alike outside of that, 8 times out of 10, the car with the lesser battery will be left behind in choosing between the 2. As I said, I have been watching these for months and have seen it time and time again. And, there is still hope for the other car with the 2 remaining that might opt for the wheels over the battery - afterall, choice is choice.

Its true over time that these options become less of a factor...the guy driving around with an 8-track will agree, but the options that change the formfactor of the car's driveability have more longevity and value.

As for range anxiety, the alternative examples that you provide aren't great ones. Tesla wouldn't achieve its EPA ratings with a tailwind and bribery...still wondering how they get their eMPG ratings; the lucid isn't available; and the EQS only just came out. People in the market now, aren't waiting for those...besides, none of them are Porsche's or Taycan's pedigree.
Sponsored