Talisker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo S, 20 Taycan Turbo, 23 Taycan Turbo S ST
Country flag
My Taycan is in for the software update campaign and some other recalls.

Porsche gave me a 2020 Macan to drive. The PCM in the Macan felt like a HUGE upgrade over the Taycan. Its smooth, fast, has proximity sensors for your hand AND wireless carplay.

Wireless carplay was super smooth and just worked. And very convenient. Why is this in a 2020 entry level Macan and not in the car "voted best by scientists?"

I am very frustrated with the PCM in the Taycan. It's suppose to be technically advanced, yet the user experience truly sucks. There are $30 000 cars out there with a better user experience.

It pretty pathetic that a $170 000 car has such a half baked software system.

Anyway, this has been said by others but I am surprised the reviews/car blogs don't highlight this.
I agree, it's like stepping back in time, our 2 year old Audi A4 is far better and don't get me started on how terrible the navigation system is.
If I'm travelling 230 miles on full charge (and don't need to recharge), changing roads several times and passing multiple service stations with charging stations, what does the Nav say. Nothing! A straight line with no detail to the destination, other than telling me what charge I will have left at the destination.
When I'm on the motorway (freeway in American) I want to know where the service stations and EV chargers are on route so that if I need to stop for a meal or comfort break, I can charge the vehicle. I would swap the Taycan Nav system for the Gen 1 Nissan Leaf in a hearbeat, but the ultimate Nav system for an EV has to be the Tesla.
It is a brilliant car, but let down by antiquated Nav systems which aren't good for a fuelled car, let alone an EV.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
I'll say it again
I have no idea why the PCM has to be different to other Porsche models just because it's an EV ‍♂

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
As an instrument flight instructor, one of the things you learn about controls is nothing beats a knob you turn, especially while flying in turbulence.
Totally incomparable.
1. There's no turbulence on the road and in a plane there's not always turbulence.
Why are you using this ridiculous comparison to prove your point?
2. All buttons you need are (still) right there (horn, turn signals, radio volume, phone, acc/innodrive, whipers, lights, shocks, ride height, nav, radio, windows, seats, etc etc.).
WHAT are you talking about?
3. How many times you use the buttons you are referring to?
Once set up you'll never touch them again.
I just love the way you adjust the airflow of the hvac, just brilliant!

I really don't understand this rant about something that is working perfectly fine...
But no, you guys are just too stubborn to change your thinking and keep focussing on things that are a "problem" instead of seeing the solution.
It's you, not the car, really.

"Dee has left the chat". :)
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.