xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
One of my favorite car channels TheTopher tracked a Taycan Turbo at PECLA. Haven't seen a POV view of a PEC experience before and this was honestly very fun to watch. Can't do this in a tesla! lol

Sponsored

mokre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
I visited PECLA a couple of years ago for this same experience which was awesome! Well worth the price.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Thanks for sharing.
I'm surprised that a PEC track has a flaw like that dip around 13:09- or is it a "feature" to demonstrate the different chassis settings (I guess the cars all have PDCC, as otherwise I'd have thought that the lap in normal mode would have dealt better with those bumps than in Sport+).
It must be tricky for the instructor to keep an eye on their pupil's lines while keeping his own car on track, but it's nice to not have them in the car to nag about tyre squeal.
Good demonstration from 20:40 of brake lights being activated by lift-off recuperation, with no use of the brake pedal.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
One of my favorite car channels TheTopher tracked a Taycan Turbo at PECLA. Haven't seen a POV view of a PEC experience before and this was honestly very fun to watch. Can't do this in a tesla! lol

instead of watching you should consider booking a visit and trying out for yourself

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

I just finished a 4 sequence 718 Academy experience this weekend at PECLA including --
  • Half-day 718 Cayman S
  • Half-day 718 Cayman GTS
  • Half-day 718 Cayman GT4
  • Half-day 718 Cayman GT4RS (+ Taycan)
The program was simply fabulous. There was a real emphasis on combining the ideal line of the track with the capabilities of the car, and of course the driver. I learned a lot and have a much greater respect for what drivers have to learn to really maximize the driving experience. Some photos here of the PECLA layout and the cars in the showroom (they also have their own repair center --
Porsche Taycan Taycan POV at PECLA track 2023-05-07_17-04-52

Porsche Taycan Taycan POV at PECLA track 2023-05-07_17-03-17

Porsche Taycan Taycan POV at PECLA track 2023-05-07_17-13-01

Porsche Taycan Taycan POV at PECLA track 2023-05-07_17-02-53

Porsche Taycan Taycan POV at PECLA track 2023-05-07_17-03-40

Here are some additional thoughts on the difference between a GT4RS and a Taycan.
  • Noise Level - The most obvious difference is the exhaust noise. The GT4RS is REALLY LOUD!! When you floor it down a straight-away the sound released by 493 hp is awesome. In the Taycan all you hear is the whisper of the track going by.
  • Handling - I found the Taycan to be nearly equal to the GT4RS in terms of handling entering and leaving turns. The low center of gravity and 5,000 pounds keeps the Taycan planted. I tried the Taycan on the Low-Friction Handling Circuit, the Dynamics Pad, and the Handling Circuit (the track) and it behaved great even when the driver (me) introduced understeer or oversteer.
  • Braking - I found the Taycan brakes to be softer and less responsive in high speed braking situations compared to the GT4RS. I had to start braking much earlier in the Taycan before entering the tight turns.
I asked my instructor why there were so many Taycans available and he said that in LA people routinely came in to drive the car before buying. He said that the normal "test drive" at a dealer was really insufficient for a lot of people, but that after they had driven the Taycan on the track they usually bought the car.

Regarding PECLA, there are many programs available from 2 hour segments to the full academy, plus you can focus on the 718, the 911, or the Taycan in different programs. I found the instructors to be top-notch and highly recommend it to anyone in the Forum who wants to learn more about how to enhance their skills.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Thanks for sharing, that was a lot of fun to watch. tbh as someone who has never driven on a track before, but appreciates some nice g-forces and good handling, I'm afraid to drive like this. I guess it's just something you get more comfortable with with time/experience.

I live so close to PECLA too, I sort of feel like I'm missing out by not taking advantage of such a rare opportunity...

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for sharing, that was a lot of fun to watch. tbh as someone who has never driven on a track before, but appreciates some nice g-forces and good handling, I'm afraid to drive like this. I guess it's just something you get more comfortable with with time/experience.

I live so close to PECLA too, I sort of feel like I'm missing out by not taking advantage of such a rare opportunity...
FYI - A lot of the course elements deal with handling (e.g., the Low-Friction Circuits, Ice Hill, Kick Plate), are not high-speed. You would definitely enjoy many of the elements, and when speed is offered just focus on your line through the curves and make the speed what you want.

While they do have "lead and follow" where the instructor is in the car ahead of you, for most sessions the instructor will be in the car with you and nothing bad is going to happen. Also, no one will care how fast you're going.

If you are local I'd go for a 2 hour session and just try it out...

Last edited:

Kaytan

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I spent two hours on the PECLA track last November when I picked up my Taycan. Incredible experience!! Funniest part was when the instructor showed me my car for the track and apologized that they only had a Taycan GTS, not the model I picked up that day (a base RWD). Needless to say, I was just fine with it.

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag

They say "no on-track photos or video" at PECLA so this person must have gotten some sort of special permission.

I was at PECLA yesterday, my first time on a track, and it was so much fun! I am hooked. I love the 911 Carrera S and Cayman GTS 4.0 handling, but after driving my Tayan I find them underpowered, especially the Cayman.

OP
OP
xyeahtony

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
They say "no on-track photos or video" at PECLA so this person must have gotten some sort of special permission.
Well i mean this person is an automotive journalist who's done 1000+ car reviews so that probably helps.