EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
I, for one, am hoping that Porsche will allow us to choose when/if to do software updates. I keep hearing these horror stories about automatic over-the-air software updates by Tesla that causes problems for their owners. I would like the option to have external access to my car's computer turned off unless I say it's ok -- after I've had a chance to review what software updates they are proposing and why.
people should talk with an actual Tesla owner. I have 3 Tesla’s and have received over the air updates all the time with Not one problem. In fact, the car always improves, whether it be features, improvements, increased range or acceleration. Who ever is complaining is probably not a real owner.
Sponsored

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
I, for one, am hoping that Porsche will allow us to choose when/if to do software updates. I keep hearing these horror stories about automatic over-the-air software updates by Tesla that causes problems for their owners. I would like the option to have external access to my car's computer turned off unless I say it's ok -- after I've had a chance to review what software updates they are proposing and why.
Fully agree. Unless it's a fix to a critical problem, I'd rather wait that others test new updates first and not be the one struggling with new issues.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
people should talk with an actual Tesla owner. I have 3 Tesla’s and have received over the air updates all the time with Not one problem. In fact, the car always improves, whether it be features, improvements, increased range or acceleration. Who ever is complaining is probably not a real owner.
That is not a fact that the car always improves.

You don't need to talk to an individual owners when there are enough reports of what is actually happening. For instance, you can read on TMC how owners of the 85 and smaller batteries allegedly lost 10% range and got the charging speed downgraded after a recent OTA update. Apparently the NHTSA is investigating that. In light of that recent example, it is disingenuous to claim that people who complain are probably not a real owner.

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/10/04/t...tery-capacity-loss-fire-investigation-nhtsa/#

Of course, those same people also got the fart app, so maybe that balances out for them.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Henrik,

I would guess these ranges are while using Range Mode, not Normal and certainly not Sport. I would personally be fine with that if they are indeed attainable at the various temperatures.

The other thing I saw on a video and on a graph is that the Taycan goes into limp mode at 0% implying there are some miles beyond that with restricted performance.
Also saw in a video that even in range mode if you punch the accelerator that it will kick up the power to accommodate (good for passing).
I read this too about the limp mode and that was like a reserve on a gas car and allowed like 20 miles, but I can't find the article

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
A heat pump is a device that is very efficient in getting energy (heat) out of the air up to -10° due to the condensation warmth of the cooling liquid.
This efficiency can go up to typical 300% or more, "free energy" so to speak (minus the energy for the compressor).
On the other side, due to the low boiling point of this liquid, you can vaporate at higher temperatures which will substract energy from the outside air and make things cooler.
Maybe now you understand what part the heat pump plays in range calculation.
It's a great piece of cooling technology.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Fully agree. Unless it's a fix to a critical problem, I'd rather wait that others test new updates first and not be the one struggling with new issues.
With a Tesla it works so that you will get a notification that a new sw update is available and downloaded. You are then asked if you want to install the update now or wait. During the update the car is not drivable so clearly if you need the car, you will not ask it to install the update at that time. I am not sure how long time it is possible to delay the update but it certainly is possible for a couple of days, since I have done this. And then you will have feedback about potential issues with the update.

In general my updates have improved the car over my one year ownership, but some updates have not been for me, such as new games etc. I could have done without them and the car would have been fine without these. Other updates have been really useful such as increased power, better rain sensor, Sentry mode, improved voice commands, one pedal driving, etc. I have not had any real issues with the updates such that it affected the driving of the car or how the car functions. Jiggly things have been there but have very quickly been rectified.

If you ever have updated your iPhone with new sw versions you know what I mean. Sometimes there is feedback from users that require a further correction update.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
With a Tesla it works so that you will get a notification that a new sw update is available and downloaded. You are then asked if you want to install the update now or wait. During the update the car is not drivable so clearly if you need the car, you will not ask it to install the update at that time. I am not sure how long time it is possible to delay the update but it certainly is possible for a couple of days, since I have done this. And then you will have feedback about potential issues with the update.

In general my updates have improved the car over my one year ownership, but some updates have not been for me, such as new games etc. I could have done without them and the car would have been fine without these. Other updates have been really useful such as increased power, better rain sensor, Sentry mode, improved voice commands, one pedal driving, etc. I have not had any real issues with the updates such that it affected the driving of the car or how the car functions. Jiggly things have been there but have very quickly been rectified.

If you ever have updated your iPhone with new sw versions you know what I mean. Sometimes there is feedback from users that require a further correction update.
OTA update is just a gimmick, needs additional security and isn't a critical feature for my choice of cars.
BMW has updates through internet, via USB, works good as expected. No problem there.
I prefer my car to be more about (fast) driving rather than being a gadget car designed by nerdy people.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
As somebody said already, it might be useful to talk to people that have had experience of OTA updates.

BMW has some of the worst update process available. You can not even get map updates without paying a lot of money for it. And then the work with downloading, transfer to USB and then into the car.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
As somebody said already, it might be useful to talk to people that have had experience of OTA updates.

BMW has some of the worst update process available. You can not even get map updates without paying a lot of money for it. And then the work with downloading, transfer to USB and then into the car.
If you buy new you get free updates for a few years, just like Tesla.
I don't mind downloading but indeed, it's a bit more hassle.
It does work properly, no complaint about that.
It's not only map updates, also software updates.
Works fine, no problem.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have a feeling that Porsche will be a good deal more careful with their testing than Tesla when it comes to updates. I doubt there will be functions marked "beta" in a Taycan! And I do not believe that the whole #batterygate and #chargegate problems caused by recent updates would happen with Porsche. It has to be said that Tesla are incredibly cavalier with their updates. One I had last summer completely ruined autopilot and it was not fixed for three months. Also, I don't think Porsche have a sense of humour so I doubt we will see any easter eggs either!

Passifier

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN TURBO in production - (Tesla S-SOLD), Cayenne, MB 300 SUV
Country flag
Well I found this while checking Porsche site for Norway then changed it to the UK to get American figures (miles).

I find it very useful.
https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/taycan-models/taycan-4s/

I'm sure European members already know about it, I had seen it mentioned but as it is not shown in porsche.com/usa I was not aware earlier.

Just select your vehicle type, battery size (if 4S), driving, outside temp, and Climate setting (I suggest ECO).
You can also look at impact of alternate wheel styles/sizes.

I am hoping that these numbers hold true then I will be ohh so happy.
Thanks so much for sending this out which i find to be very interesting and also encouraging based on the various parameters.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I agree, automatic OTA updates changing the features of the car are extremely frustrating. If car manufacturers cannot allow the owner to control feature changing updates then I prefer they scrap OTA altogether!

Reactions: Dee

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You must be on this new elondrug. It is completely the opposite. With every update the usability of the car got worse to the point that I hate to drive it. It is nothing what I originally have purchased.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
You must be on this new elondrug. It is completely the opposite. With every update the usability of the car got worse to the point that I hate to drive it. It is nothing what I originally have purchased.
Thank you.
That's what I hear from (former) Tesla owners too.
Not all but quite a few to build an opinion about these cars.
The range is very good, I'll give 'm that.
And that's a nice bridge to return to the initial subject of this topic...;)
Sponsored