How was your decision on your chosen Taycan model based

When choosing your model, were you previously driving an EV and how did that influence your decisio?

• Total voters

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I voted “EV/RWD”, but ended up with a 4S, simply because of availability on the lot, and price. By the time I optioned a RWD the way I wanted it, the price difference between the two was close enough for me to buy a 4S off the rack vs ordering a RWD and waiting many months for it. Then at that point the additional activation energy of AWD vs RWD resale value kicked in, too.

In terms of how the two drove, IMHO RWD was fine. But then again my Base 718 is also plenty of power…for me.
Sponsored

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I will be moving from a BMW M2 for a RWD Taycan.

Despite it being the 'slowest' Taycan, performance is similar to my M2. And the fact that I hardly ever (never) max out the M2, or track my cars, I am sure the RWD will be fine.
Taycan will be bigger/heavier so am intending to treat it like a more luxurious GT car than a sports car (yes, I'm getting old).

I could afford a 4S as my spec has already surpassed the 4s base price. But I think I will be happy enough with an optioned RWD.

I prefer driving RWD to AWD anyway, so may as well get slightly higher range and (allegedly) lighter and more precise steering, as opposed to more speed.

However, if someone else were paying for it, I would probably have a fully optioned Turbo S and drive it at 4/10ths. ??

Last edited:

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Something I'd like to share that happened today and kind of relates to this discussion about choosing the "right" Taycan.

My wife got dinner reservations for Father's Day and I decided to drive the 4S. It was about a 25 mile trip each way and was the first chance she's had to really spend any time in the car.

When we got back home she turned to me, smiled and simply said, "Nice ride." In 7 years, I guarantee she never once said anything remotely like that about being in my GT3. ;)

MeMyselfAndI

First Name
Pieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (MY 21)
Country flag

Despite it being the 'slowest' Taycan, performance is similar to my M2. And the fact that I hardly ever (never) max out the M2, or track my cars, I am sure the RWD will be fine.
Taycan will be bigger/heavier so am intending to treat it like a more luxurious GT car than a sports car (yes, I'm getting old).
Same! :like:
Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking about it this way! :)

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Voted to ICE/4S, but I ordered Taycan 4 Cross Turismo.
I wanted more space on backseats and larger trunk (+ additional 5cm for easy entry/exit from).

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
RWD for me replacing a 2020 model 3. No brainer for me once the RWD was introduced plus taking advantage of the current used car market allowed me to get out of the Tesla with minimal losses after ~26K miles. It's the perfect DD for me and I don't need blazing 0-60 times in my daily use. I have other ICE P-cars for big thrills.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I prefer driving RWD to AWD anyway, so may as well get slightly higher range and (allegedly) lighter and more precise steering, as opposed to more speed.
Don't worry, coming from any ICE, the smooth instant power delivery of any Taycan will make you smile. It's still a sport's car.

LuigiF1

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S 981, Taycan Ordered 6/4 Delivery.
Country flag

I could afford a 4S as my spec has already surpassed the 4s base price. But I think I will be happy enough with an optioned RWD.
I did the same coming from a 981 Cayman S to a 2021 RWD optioned more luxurious Taycan cruiser. I am 3 weeks in from delivery and zero regrets. It has exceeded all expectations.

I too did a well optioned RWD well past a 4S base price (yes I know not recommended for resale) But I wanted the mission E stormtrooper concept car look with all the cushy and performance options. I have not looked back to having an ICE car. (other than Apple car play a little quirky when it wants to connect.)

The car just glides (love 1 pedal driving) and nimbleness with rear axle steering. I live/drive/work in a mostly suburban area. The 4S and models above speed is nice but for me mostly unusable in the daily traffic I drive (+cops all over). RWD has plenty speed to easily pass people. The linear acceleration makes it seem faster than it is, but overall never have had a better car than previous Porsches & BMW's. I look forward to driving it everyday. As working from home I sometimes just use my lunch hour to go for a drive.

cars97

First Name
nonexist
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
I've heard that acceleration gets old, so I would prefer the RWD and spend the money on options

ampitup

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Though about getting the base Taycan but dealer offered a deal on a 4S that I could not pass up.

ChalkTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
Test drove the Turbo, 4S, and base. I did not feel much difference between the Turbo and 4S on how I drove on public road. The base was very sluggish off the line but felt similar to the 4s after it reaches 40 mph. I know I will not be happy to get the base. Because of the price differences between the 4s and turbo, I placed an order of the 2022 4s. It is in V200 now with an estimated delivery date of 12/9.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I think the sweet spot between performance and cost is the 4s, the RWD version is lacking in areas other than initial startup

Computerglitch

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG 43 , 997
Country flag
you made a good choice, the 4s is a superior car
Mine was made purely on cost.
Ive just re-ordered a RWD with very few options.
Ive upgraded wheels , Bose, glass sunroof, folding mirrors and colour
I drove the 4s and RWD and honestly in London RWD was plenty fast enough
Ive changed my mind twice on it....I ordered 2 months ago, then read all the breaking down on the motorways/freeways so ordered a base 992. Then decided that it was an EV I really wanted so changed order....Porsche salesman has been mega patient...I hope I don't regret lol
Sponsored