Dan1210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo.
Country flag
This may be interesting to anyone who hasn't put down their hard earned cash yet.
So i bought my taycan 4S cross turismo (my23 my personal spec) in dec 2022, it is a well specced car that i paid £107k for (before the price hike), i love the car but i am having issues with the fan and heater and now i'm completely locked out of the car!
Having seen various reports on Taycan depreciation i asked the dealer from whom i bought the car to give me a valuation, wait for it....They offered me £55k and the car is as new with 2500 miles on it! Now i knew the car would depreciate but 50% in a year!
My advice would be to get out while you can, its an amazing vehicle but no one can afford to lose that kind of money in such a short amount of time. i cant see them shifting barely any Macans at this rate and the Taycans keep piling up.
To put this in perspective i was offered £45k for a 5 year old macan turbo approximately 18 months ago.
Sponsored

Reactions: D00

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
This may be interesting to anyone who hasn't put down their hard earned cash yet.
So i bought my taycan 4S cross turismo (my23 my personal spec) in dec 2022, it is a well specced car that i paid £107k for (before the price hike), i love the car but i am having issues with the fan and heater and now i'm completely locked out of the car!
Having seen various reports on Taycan depreciation i asked the dealer from whom i bought the car to give me a valuation, wait for it....They offered me £55k and the car is as new with 2500 miles on it! Now i knew the car would depreciate but 50% in a year!
My advice would be to get out while you can, its an amazing vehicle but no one can afford to lose that kind of money in such a short amount of time. i cant see them shifting barely any Macans at this rate and the Taycans keep piling up.
To put this in perspective i was offered £45k for a 5 year old macan turbo approximately 18 months ago.
That is really low. Mine was 130 k euro 4 CT 05/2022. 35.000 km. I asked a second hand car dealer I know quite well by mail. He says he can sell it for a bit more than 80.000 and can give me something above 75.000. Still have to go this weekend to confirm and show my car.

OP
OP
Dan1210

Dan1210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo.
Country flag
I should clarify that i love the car but it is a bitter pill to swallow, i can't even move sideways out of it into something else. the only silver lining here is that i bought on a pcp. It's crazy that i was being offered £5k over list just before i took delivery!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I should clarify that i love the car but it is a bitter pill to swallow, i can't even move sideways out of it into something else. the only silver lining here is that i bought on a pcp. It's crazy that i was being offered £5k over list just before i took delivery!
The longer you keep a car the less you lose.
It plummets the day you pick it up and for the first year then eases off a bit.
IMO buying a new car then keeping it less than 6 years is an extravagance.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
That seems a bit odd as MY21 are about the same price with 12k miles on only 4 weeks ago. Of course, there is also the Taycan refresh due in 3 months or so that could be impacting prices. What I would say (your problems aside - which can get resolved), I have not seen/found anything comparable as an EV from any other manufacturer that I would rather have.

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
Here we go again, another thread on depreciation.

You bought an overpriced 4 door luxury/sporty EV at the most expensive time (Corona). Yes, it will depreciate a lot. Also, the price offered is the purchase price of the dealer not the actual sell price, so you can't compare it with the 107k you paid. They will probably buy it for 55k and sell it for 65-70k. They are a business, not a charity.

OP
OP
Dan1210

Dan1210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo.
Country flag
Surely Porsche will having to do something as i can't see them shifting many new (electric) vehicles, my porsche dealer said demand for Taycan has dropped off a cliff, yet many of us have waited 12-18 months for our cars. What are peoples thoughts on this situation moving forward? more government incentives, deposit contribution etc? I cant see this as sustainable for Porsche, a brand usually known for holding value well in comparison to other brands and part of the reason many of us buy their vehicles.

OP
OP
Dan1210

Dan1210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo.
Country flag
Here we go again, another thread on depreciation.

You bought an overpriced 4 door luxury/sporty EV at the most expensive time (Corona). Yes, it will depreciate a lot. Also, the price offered is the purchase price of the dealer not the actual sell price, so you can't compare it with the 107k you paid. They will probably buy it for 55k and sell it for 65-70k. They are a business, not a charity.
I was expecting this kind or reply but lets be realistic here, i paid retail before the price hike, no one expects to lose 50% in the first year! Im looking for genuine conversation on this situation this isnt a rant.

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
I was expecting this kind or reply but lets be realistic here, i paid retail before the price hike, no one expects to lose 50% in the first year! Im looking for genuine conversation on this situation this isn't a rant.
Maybe it is because the steering wheel is on the wrong side ;)?

Seriously; Your timing and situation is really bad.

1) selling to a dealer means you have to pay for their profit margin. They offer you 55k and will sell it themselves for a lot more. You will lose 10k here.
2) You sell a 1 year old car just before an unofficial announced facelift. So your vehicle is not that appealing for someone with 65k to spend on an EV.
3)You bought it at prime time. Post-covid where supply was not in line with demand.

You don't have to sell it right? If you don't sell it, in your heart it is still worth 107k. It only depreciates when you sell. The problems you mentioned are all solveable under warranty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan1210

Dan1210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo.
Country flag
Maybe it is because the steering wheel is on the wrong side ;)?

Seriously; Your timing and situation is really bad.

1) selling to a dealer means you have to pay for their profit margin. They offer you 55k and will sell it themselves for a lot more. You will lose 10k here.
2) You sell a 1 year old car just before an unofficial announced facelift. So your vehicle is not that appealing for someone with 65k to spend on an EV.
3)You bought it at prime time. Post-covid where supply was not in line with demand.

You don't have to sell it right? If you don't sell it, in your heart it is still worth 107k. It only depreciates when you sell. The problems you mentions are all solveable under warranty.
Is the timing really that bad though? How many people actually get a discount on a new Porsche.
I would be suprised if we see the facelift in 2024. I dont have to sell and i wont, there's nothing i could replace it with that would be better imo.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Their low offer might be due to not wanting to take any more used Taycans while they're overrun with off-lease and pre-reg examples that only shift at embarrassingly low prices.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Surely Porsche will having to do something as i can't see them shifting many new (electric) vehicles, my porsche dealer said demand for Taycan has dropped off a cliff, yet many of us have waited 12-18 months for our cars. What are peoples thoughts on this situation moving forward? more government incentives, deposit contribution etc? I cant see this as sustainable for Porsche, a brand usually known for holding value well in comparison to other brands and part of the reason many of us buy their vehicles.
I don't think there is much predictable logic in what people arew prepared to buy or pay.
I suppose the fairly successful anti-EV misinformation campaign has an impact.
Perhaps a lot of people felt able to stretch to a Taycan while interest rates have been so spectacularly low for such a long time and now reality has returned a bit they either can't, or won't afford it any more.

It is just the market though, the Taycan isn't the only model not selling at the moment a lot of aspirational cars are the same I hear, Range Rovers for example.

The solution is very much not IMO any more giving of my tax money to well off people or businesses because I already resent how much of my money has been used this way already (probably because I am not eligible for any of these unearned bonuses and had to pay full price for mine with my own money ;))

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
50% in a year? Seems high but it is what it is. Drive it 2-3 more years and you won't lose much at all, so almost free. Drive it 7 more years, and it will still be worth at least 20% of original price. So you have a golden opportunity, drive a car for 7 years with only 30% (MSRP) loss in value. Sounds like a great deal. The money you lost to-date is what's known as "sunk cost", it's gone, nothing you can do about it, but you can appreciate having a car with the precisely exact options that you want to drive for 7 years for 22K, no? Who wouldn't want a one-year-old Porsche Taycan, speced exactly as they want it, to drive it for 7 years for £262/month depreciation? Glass half full approach. :cool:

I paid a lot more money for my Taycan. Will likely keep it for 7-8 years, unless Porsche or some other manufacturer comes up with something which blows me away (say 1,300hp with no LC Taycan, which can do 400 miles or range at current weight or same range with half the weight, at not much more than I paid for my Turbo). There are only 2 options I would change on my car, one I would remove (InnoDrive) but since I can keep it off, I'm there already, and the other one is black window trim, which I could get for ~$1,000 but don't care enough to do it. So I'm in the same boat as you, I get to enjoy it for another 7 years with not much depreciation. ;)

PS> Oh wait, I could not order Carrera White Metallic today unless I spent over $30K for PTS+, so I guess my depreciation is less? ;)

Last edited:

Grayblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
As said above, the dealer may not need more Taycan's right now. Not surprised that they would low ball in that situation. The Tesla price cuts and manufacturer incentives don't help either.

OP
OP
Dan1210

Dan1210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo.
Country flag
I don't think there is much predictable logic in what people arew prepared to buy or pay.
I suppose the fairly successful anti-EV misinformation campaign has an impact.
Perhaps a lot of people felt able to stretch to a Taycan while interest rates have been so spectacularly low for such a long time and now reality has returned a bit they either can't, or won't afford it any more.

It is just the market though, the Taycan isn't the only model not selling at the moment a lot of aspirational cars are the same I hear, Range Rovers for example.

The solution is very much not IMO any more giving of my tax money to well off people or businesses because I already resent how much of my money has been used this way already (probably because I am not eligible for any of these unearned bonuses and had to pay full price for mine with my own money ;))
I was a private buyer so i didn't receive any of the ev benefits, i would agree that the anti ev sentiment has gathered traction lately, its a real problem. I feel like im the one that bought the Betamax player 🤣
Sponsored