daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
if you are having the 60 amp breaker "installed" at the office- do the following:

1. install a 60 breaker
2. instruct electrician to install/pull/spec at least 60 amp wire
3. install a Hubble Industries NEMA 14-50 plug

this will future proof your install - such that when you upgrade to a ClipperCreek HCS 60 in the future it's a trivial swap to just remove the NEMA 14-50 plug and hard wire the ClipperCreek to the existing wiring inside the plug-box - no new breaker, no new wire - should take less than 2 hours - even maybe less than an hour.

60 amp breaker is the maximum power a standard Taycan can charge at - 48 amps charge rate off a 60 amp breaker is about 11.8 kW charge rate.
NOTE: North American Level-2 (L2 - 240 volt) EVSE’s only use 3 wires - HOT/HOT/Ground - the forth blade slot in the NEMA 14-50 is electrical neutral/common which is unused by any Level-2 (240 volt) North American EVSE (including the PMCC - this can be confirmed with a visutal inspection of both end of the 14-50 PMCC supply cable - you will see there are only 3 wires actually used in the PMCC end of the supply cable - the 4th wire neutral from the 14-50 plug isn’t even wired up with any electrical conductor in the porsche supply cable) - an alternate setup looking toward the hardwired EVSE future is a high quality NEMA 6-50 plug (3 plug blades) - and then you’d need either the NEMA 6-50 supply cable from Porsche (too much money) or a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter from Amazon - but that means you’d only pull 3 wires (saves some money on wire cost) from the beaker to the plug and that’s the exact number of wires you’ll need to hard wire any 60 amp EVSE (like the clipper creek) - if you install a NEMA 14-50 you should wire up the neutral since that’s spec/code for NEMA 14-50 and is electrically necessary for any NEMA 14-50 device other than an L2 EVSE - but that wire is un-necessary/unused for an EVSE and will be unused in the future if you ever swap to 60 amp charger - no big deal honestly - but if you plan to move to a hard wired EVSE no need for the 4th wire and it‘s super easy/affordable to adapt a 6-50 to 14-50.
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
NOTE - a good 6-50 to 14-50 adapter like the one listed above is generically useful for any EV owner - since during your travels you may encounter 6-50 plugs and this lets you use your 14-50 mobile EVSE with a 6-50 plug.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
60 amp breaker is the maximum power a standard Taycan can charge at - 48 amps charge rate off a 60 amp breaker is about 11.8 kW charge rate.
Does this mean the 80A TeslaTap is a waste for the Taycan, and that the 60A suffices?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
60 amp is sufficient - 80 amp _IS_ a waste for your Taycan unless you spec’d the factory 19.2 kW charging option - but the TeslaTap will outlast your Taycan and your future Rivian or LucidAir which also support 19.2 kW charging may need it….

buy it once, the incremental cost is trival vs. the vehicle cost, and it’s not Taycan specific - other EV’s that support 19.2 kW (80 amps) may be used with your adapter in the future.

but yeah you can get away with the 60 amp version specifically for the stock Taycan.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
60 amp is sufficient - 80 amp _IS_ a waste for your Taycan unless you spec’d the factory 19.2 kW charging option - but the TeslaTap will outlast your Taycan and your future Rivian or LucidAir which also support 19.2 kW charging may need it….

buy it once, the incremental cost is trival vs. the vehicle cost, and it’s not Taycan specific - other EV’s that support 19.2 kW (80 amps) may be used with your adapter in the future.

but yeah you can get away with the 60 amp version specifically for the stock Taycan.
Thanks for confirming. I'm also hoping in the future that the Taycan and other EVs can adjust how much current they pull, like Teslas can. Then there's no danger of trying to pull more than the charger can allow.

When I first tried my Tesla wall connector on my Taycan I tripped the breaker because mine is only on a 30A breaker, but the wall connector had been incorrectly configured by my electrician to pull something like 60A, which of course the Taycan was happy to accept. My Tesla had been configured to only pull 30A so it worked properly. Of course once I realized the issue I reprovisioned the wall connector to only pull 30A and now I can charge the Taycan fine. But it would just be good to have the ability to reduce the amps that the car requests.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But it would just be good to have the ability to reduce the amps that the car requests.
yes I agree 100% - I really really miss the ability to down-grade the amps in the vehicles charging software interface in the PCM - Tesla allows this and it really helps.
Example: Thunderhill Raceway Willow, CA - thunderhill has an extensive but older network of NEMA 14-50 plugs all over the paddock for RV camping and crew usage during races - this is a great infrasstructure but given it’s outdoors and been there for decades it’s poorly maintained - if you plug your NEMA 14-50 EVSE into it you’ll spend all day resetting the breakers since they tend to pop after about 20-40 min of EVSE charging - but if you dial the amps down say from 40 amps to like 36 AMP’s the whole thing works all day with no problems…this type of minor change is also helpful for some older and poorly maintained public L2 chargers
I’ve been amazed over the years how much more reliable some public charging can be if you simply shave 2 or 3 amps off the reported amp maximum reported by various non-home charging infrastructures…

I‘ve had similar experiences at mid-grade hotels while on the road - even with 30 amp plugs - sometimes pulling 20 amps instead of 24 amps from a 30 amp plug - lets the car charge all night with no breaker trips…

Porsche really needs to add in car adjustable amperage so that you can overrule the EVSE and pull fewer amps than it’s reporting - and I need to do this without a PMCC involved - this needs to be an in-car feature.

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
yes I agree 100% - I really really miss the ability to down-grade the amps in the vehicles charging software interface in the PCM - Tesla allows this and it really helps.
Daveo4EV - I'd like to hear your take on whether a new car spec should include the 19.2kW and/or the 400V onboard chargers - future proofing vs don't bother :)

After a lot of back and forth reviewing threads here and chatting with my SA at my dealership it seemed the consensus was that unless you upgraded your home charging capacity there was no benefit to having the 19.2kW. SA actually said he doesn't know why Porsche even offer the option in the US!

I assumed that most AC chargers at charging stations (if even installed) were not capable of supporting the 19.2 onboard charger but perhaps incorrect? My original thought was that in a pinch if all DC chargers were occupied at such a station I'd have the option of 'boosted' AC charging with the 19.2 kW onboard charger but again, arguably such a rare circumstance and hard to justify ordering?

The same with the 400V onboard charger, as presumably this might be useful when say Tesla open up their Superchargers or some such similar event, as again otherwise effectively useless currently in the US, no? - long term who knows?

Thoughts appreciated,
Cheers, C.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the 19.2 kW charging is not that useful in North America in my opinion - great for home charging if you bother/able to have a 100 amp 240 volt circuit for your home charging -but it’s a rare bird that has 19.2 kW charging when you are away from home (and most of them will be Tesla Destination chargers - even more rare as pure J-1772 100 amp charger) - mostly not worth it IMHO

400V/150 kW - I’m still a fan because it’s fairly cheap option - and you never know if you’lll find a 400V charger and I personally would hate to be limited 50 kW when I could be going faster - this option is sooo cheap I think it’s worth having it “on the car” should you ever need it.

19.2 kW charging - meh - probably skip it (unless you KNOW you’ll have common access to 19.2 kW charger home/work
400V/150 kW - why not given the cost and it may pay dividends in the future - cheap option and we know _IF_ the supercharger network opens up then it WILL be useful for that.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
the 19.2 kW charging is not that useful in North America in my opinion - great for home charging if you bother/able to have a 100 amp 240 volt circuit for your home charging -but it’s a rare bird that has 19.2 kW charging when you are away from home (and most of them will be Tesla Destination chargers - even more rare as pure J-1772 100 amp charger) - mostly not worth it IMHO

400V/150 kW - I’m still a fan because it’s fairly cheap option - and you never know if you’lll find a 400V charger and I personally would hate to be limited 50 kW when I could be going faster - this option is sooo cheap I think it’s worth having it “on the car” should you ever need it.

19.2 kW charging - meh - probably skip it (unless you KNOW you’ll have common access to 19.2 kW charger home/work
400V/150 kW - why not given the cost and it may pay dividends in the future - cheap option and we know _IF_ the supercharger network opens up then it WILL be useful for that.
Excellent - exactly my thoughts after reviewing - thanks for sharing and indeed the 400v option a minimal cost add with a potential big benefit!
Sponsored