Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Good discussion. I sold a 2013 Carrera Convertible with PDK and bought a Taycan 4S. I describe the Taycan as a 5,000 pound 911. Totally different cars with the same Porsche driving precision.

Ideal scenario is to own both.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Good discussion. I sold a 2013 Carrera Convertible with PDK and bought a Taycan 4S. I describe the Taycan as a 5,000 pound 911. Totally different cars with the same Porsche driving precision.

Ideal scenario is to own both.
Are you going through withdrawals from time to time? I do!

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
While I have no regrets having traded my 991.2 TTS for my Taycan, I did miss having a 911. So I bought 2 997's to have for weekends. The 24,000 miles I have put on my Taycan have made me realize I will never daily drive anything other than an electric car. But I will always have 2 or 3 ICE toys as well.
Porsche Taycan The Iconic 911 vs The (future-iconic) Taycan 20211205_100114

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
Former Porsches are like former girlfriends. Would enjoy both, but a second one will prove very expensive.
It depends if you can... drive them at the same time, then it might be priceless, like mast*rcard. 🥳

ps. two words for the 992 tts conveying violence: stiff and spasm (-10mm)

Porsche Taycan The Iconic 911 vs The (future-iconic) Taycan IMG_3344 (1)

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I really love that chalk on the 992 TTS. I originally spec'd chalk but saw it on a Cayenne and thought it looked to beige so I changed to CWM but it looks amazing on the 911.....

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
5. Both cars offer an immersive experience, but for different reasons. In the 911, its you against the world. You are given the controls to a high performance machine that can escape any threat, outrun most competitors, and make you feel totally in control. The Taycan is immersive but for all the wrong reasons, IMHO. I find myself constantly tinkering with the infinite displays of real time data. I am lifting the suspension, changing the views on the tubes, clicking here and there, none of which impacts the driving experience and is frankly a bit dangerous. I am a kid with a new toy. I need to stop tinkering and hopefully will find the willpower to do so.
disclaimer: I've only had my Taycan less than a week and have never owned much less driven ANY other Porsche. That said: I'm a minimalist, and so I changed my front display to the minimal setting. All I need is MPH and range, nothing else including maps because I'm only using it for local driving. I find myself leaving the center display on Serius XM, and almost never glance at it because I use the steering wheel programmable button to move among my Favorites. In other words, for me it's all about the driving experience which is quite simply the best most engaging drive and the best fit/finish of any vehicle of my life (I'm 68 and have owned many different vehicles throughout my sordid career). Also because I had to choose from existing new inventory, the only option I didn't get was adaptive air suspension (I got everything else including all the packages and battery plus). However now having driven on steel springs, I can't imagine that I need or even want the adaptive air suspension because the ride is buttery smooth yet still gives you a sense you're driving on a road (as opposed to the lumbering/floating Buicks of yesteryear). The only downside of not getting adaptive air suspension is that I can't lift it going from my steep driveway down into the garage. For now I've got 2" thick 16 x 16 concrete squares as a temporary measure to bridge the gap so that I don't scrape going into the garage, and I have some metal plates arriving next week which will be the permanent solution.

Anyway, as a newbie Porsche owner, I've quickly determined that this is very well the only car brand I'll ever again own.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
My friend has a 911. Massive Porsche fan. Had many. Test drove a Taycan for the day. Said the Taycan drove like a 911 but was also a better ride.

Jeffrey B

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW M6; Porsche Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
Nice write up. I agree with you that owning both is a must at some point! I choose now

0677F67F-BFA1-46BA-9C8B-B14CA2B242FC.jpeg

5488A638-1341-4894-8A37-6FC893F4F667.jpeg

F822DAF7-1238-4FA3-B498-6ECBD805E000.jpeg
You have one pair of gorgeous Porsches here! Look incredible together and agree two very different but awesome driving experiences.

Reactions: B61

Deleted member 6348

I put more than 35k miles on my 992C4S and while I am only coming up to 3k miles on my Taycan 4S, there are aspects to the experience that are not all that different.

Steering feel is identical — same programming team. The driving position and view over the hood is certainly familiar. There’s some real substance behind Porsche labeling the Taycan a “Sports Car:. When people ask me what it’s like to drive, I tell them that it drives like an electric 911 that happens to have back doors. It’s the only other Porsche that’s rear-engined. 😜

The Infotainment technology is a little more coherent in the Taycan than it is in the 992. The 992 landed between PCM generations and it shows. This will likely be addressed with the 992.2 which appears to get the full Taycan dash.

I disagree with the “sailboat” comparison. In Sport Plus, it feels very much like a 992 in terms of handling, body roll, and agility. The illusion breaks once you start losing grip, because a sliding Taycan doesn’t feel like a 911.

I consider the air suspension to be an asset when it comes to ride quality and I use the chassis lift practically every day.

I put 430 miles on a Taycan 4S PB+ loaner. For my own Taycan, I went with the PB. From a driving dynamics perspective, you do notice that the car is about 200lbs lighter.

Having also driven 996, 997, and 991 Porsche 911s, there are certainly some generational differences, but they all feel like Porsche cars. If you’re comparing the Taycan to older 911s, some of those differences may feel more dramatic, but when compared to the current 911 generation, the Taycan and 992 are very much siblings.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well as the OP I'll admit some jealousy to seeing so many 911 owners able to hold on to their dream car while also acquiring the Taycan. You know how lucky you are! I would have considered keeping mine but I dont have a garage big enough. So instead I got an EV motorcycle (a NIU) which I use for 90% of my errands. I am able to squeeze it in between the Taycan and the wall. We now have 3 EVs in our garage (Tesla, Porsche and NIU). The NIU has a top speed of 50 mph. I won't win any races with it, but it gives me that open air experience I lost when I sold my 911.

Porsche Taycan The Iconic 911 vs The (future-iconic) Taycan tempImage36AaG0

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Well, maybe you should sell Tesla and bring 911 back :angel:

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, maybe you should sell Tesla and bring 911 back :angel:
Of course I tried that first. The wife was not going to acquiesce, she loves her Tesla.
Sponsored