To boot (trunk) or not.

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
A buying point for the Taycan saloon for us was the similarities in silhouette to the 911.
Having the extra space in the back killed the line and was a no go.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, a wagon is a hard no for a Porsche sedan. If the loading was needed then people are better off with a Macan or a Cayenne.

This is indeed a very personal opinion, although the saloon is a great looking car, the sport turismo is much nicer to my eye specifically for the long roof line. Thankfully we have choices! The boot space allows me to daily drive this car with all the practicality of a Macan or Cayenne, while also driving a low center of gravity electric rocketship!
Sponsored

OP
OP
MrBlueSky

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
A buying point for the Taycan saloon for us was the similarities in silhouette to the 911.
Having the extra space in the back killed the line and was a no go.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, a wagon is a hard no for a Porsche sedan. If the loading was needed then people are better off with a Macan or a Cayenne.
That’s the beauty of personal choice. For me, the CT is the perfect design for my needs. A Porsche SUV is a hard no for me.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Braking on cold wet roads Is the most obvious gain in practice IME, the extra traction and cornering grip aren’t used as often
Actually, that isn't true.
I, myself, was under the impression that winter tires perform better when it's cold and wet too.
Until I saw the winter tire test of Autoweek a few years ago, where they tested winter tires along a normal tire (I refuse to use the word "summer tire", they just don't exist).
The results were mind blowing actually...
About at least 3-5 meters more braking distance than normal tires due to the deformation of the winter tires (they are softer and have louvers).
Winter tires only have an advantage in snow.
On wet and dry surfaces (most common in the Netherlands) the normal tires are far better.

Here is the latest test in wet and dry conditions:
Porsche Taycan To boot (trunk) or not. FB_IMG_1678705328680

Porsche Taycan To boot (trunk) or not. FB_IMG_1678705343304

Source: Autoweek, week 47 2022.

So, I don't use winter tires anymore, I have even driven on normal tires when there were a few days of snow (usually we don't have much snow in winter anymore) but the roads were just wet and clear of snow.
I felt perfectly safe with my adapted driving style and 4WD:
Porsche Taycan To boot (trunk) or not. FB_IMG_1662460565069

😉

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Actually, that isn't true.
I, myself, was under the impression that winter tires perform better when it's cold and wet.
Until I saw the winter tire test of Autoweek, where they test winter tires along a normal tire (I refuse to use the word "summer tire").
The results were mind blowing actually...
About 3-5 meters more braking distance than normal tires due to the deformation of the winter tires (they are softer and have louvers).
Winter tires only have an advantage in snow.
On wet and dry surfaces (most common in the Netherlands) the normal tires are far better.

Here is the latest test in wet and dry conditions:
FB_IMG_1678705328680.jpg

FB_IMG_1678705343304.jpg

Source: Autoweek, week 47 2022.

I don't use winter tires anymore, I even have driven on normal tires when there was a few days of snow (usually we don't have much snow in winter anymore) but the roads were just wet and clear of snow.
I felt perfectly safe with my adapted driving style and 4WD:
FB_IMG_1662460565069.jpg

😉
Suit yourself.

I find this lot have the most scientific tyre tests.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/

What are called “all seasons” here (not the same as the same name in the USA apparently for some daft reason) are probably best for an English winter, but summer tyres are crap below about 7C And really poor braking on cold wet roads.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
but summer tyres are crap below about 7C And really poor braking on cold wet roads.
We have exactly the same discussion here in the Netherlands, every single year. 😉
That claim of 7°C was never proven, it's only a statement of the tire manufacturers to sell (more) winter tires.
The only reason that a winter tire is softer below 7°C is to let the louvers work as intended (to prevent snow to be trapped in the tire pattern and become "slicks").
Relatively softer tires don't brake very well on wet and dry surfaces like the test results clearly show.
Ah well, like you said, just buy what you think is best. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
We have exactly the same discussion here in the Netherlands, every single year. 😉
That claim of 7°C was never proven, it's only a statement of the tire manufacturers to sell (more) winter tires.
The only reason that a winter tire is softer below 7°C is to let the louvers work as intended (to prevent snow to be trapped in the tire pattern).
Ah well, like you said, just buy what you think is best. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Summer tyres are better on a dry road at almost any temperature because of less deformation, I am well aware of that.

Wet and cold most winter and all seasons are better. One could discuss at what temperature in the wet summer tyres start to be inferior, and it will be rubber compound sensitive, as always, so brand choice dependant.

So suit yourself.

In England probably a good all seasons tyre is probably a better choice for most of the winter but winters are too wet here for a summer tyre to be a good choice.

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Back to the original topic: yes, you can fit a set of four tires in the sedan Taycan (or in my case, the Audi RS e-tron GT), but only if one of them is in the passenger front seat, which makes it definitely not recommended.

And I am in the camp of preferring the outside form of the ST as well, with the beefier back part.
Sponsored