Traded my '21 Taycan Turbo S in.... (Inside info for anyone looking for a TTS)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
@whitex - I agree with you that this tends to be more most car buyers and dealers "don't care" about options - cars are cars. I also 1000% agree with your macro point that options tend not to hold or add equivalent value to the car at time to sell over stock; however, I do think exotic and Porsche buyers tend to notice, seek out, and weigh getting those extras between various cars on the market when buying. In other words, it may be a differentiator to bring in the buyer from other alternatives in the market. For a buyer that can find cars with options up front, it can help quickly filter out and save some money if they planned to add some of these things. .....but that's my experience. If it helps someone here, awesome. I honestly don't have a stake other than would be good if the info benefits someone enthusiastic about the brand and car.....
My ex-neighbor bought a 4 year old 911 Turbo a few years back, he likes cars and buys new ones often. When I talked to him about the car, he knew very little about the car other than it's a 911 Turbo, black on black, drives and sounds great. He didn't even know whether or not his car had rear-wheel steering, his answer was "yea, probably, it drives great". I think he is more representative of an average used Porsche buyer than we are. I think we forget that majority of people don't obsess over their cars like folks on this forum.

I honestly don't think the numbers of discriminating buyers are that significant. They are probably all on here and other forums, however if you compare the number of members on a Taycan forum (which include people who don't have Taycans) to the volumes of Taycans sold, you will realize it's a small percentage. Almost all SA's I talked to in my search for a Taycan had very limited knowledge about Taycan options, often had misinformation. At the dealer I bought mine from, there was an SA who was considered an expert on Taycans, who also owned a Taycan. While he was helpful with some tips on how to use and setup the PCM, he admitted that I was the first customer ever who told him new things about the Taycan he didn't even know, even corrected some misconceptions he had.

While there are discerning, knowledgeable buyers, they are such a minority and will usually not pay much more anyways, that it's not worth for dealers to become experts on the cars and their options over different model years - insufficient ROI for the dealer. The recent car market boom and Taycan shortages, where all Taycans sold themselves essentially, didn't help motivate the dealers to get to know the Taycan line either.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JDNEPA

JDNEPA

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
This could be a customer ordered car that is on their website for inventory management. My 4S CT was listed with generic info before I picked it up. I noticed the Cayenne Turbo GT they had just had the base Cayenne info.
It’s not a customer ordered car. It’s my car that I traded
Unfortunately that’s the correct market value. Assuming a trade value of around $115-120, a 40% depreciation from MSRP.

I can guarantee they are selling it at a loss as marked. Trade in was considerably higher… right about +10k to current marked sale price. So I either crushed it or it’s below market. Again what do I know and prices are shifting faster than I think folks are realizing.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
It’s not a customer ordered car. It’s my car that I traded

I can guarantee they are selling it at a loss as marked. Trade in was considerably higher… right about +10k to current marked sale price. So I either crushed it or it’s below market. Again what do I know and prices are shifting faster than I think folks are realizing.
If this was a trade on another car, they might have upped the trade-in value instead of lowering the price or interest rate of the car you were buying.

That said, used car market, especially high priced cars, has been correcting fast lately, not quite pre-pandemic levels yet, but well on its way, so it is also possible that the dealer miscalculated the trade-in value or it has dropped a lot since trading in (they might have valued it based on recent auction sales, even a week later prices can drop a lot if demand drops or supply increases due to oversupply of used cars, like a wave of lease returns, or cars not selling well so dealers offloading them in auctions).
Sponsored