[US - Northamerica] Table: How Long will it take to Charge my Taycan from [BLAH]

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this question comes up a lot - and below we have a table that breaks down the most common "sizes" of charging infrastructure - both home and commerical - I hope the column names are self explanatory - if not I'll be happy to answer questions.

the last two column cover in duration an expected charging session for two cases:

1. full charge - 5% to 100% - this is uncommon but possible - I modeled 80 kWh of capacity
2. daily charge - 45% to 85% - this is common for a large daily usage - I modeled 35 kWh of capacity

NOTE: for the charge rates 100 kW or above - the table below models the "linear" charge rate (constant) for time estimates - we all know there is taper - once you're above 70-80% SOC on the Taycan - so it will take a bit longer than the table estimates - my apologies - I didn't feel like modeling the exact charging curve because it's controlled by in vehicle software - if I feel like it I might whip up something custom - but for now - just know for charge rates 100 kW+ the estimate is best case _IF_ the charge rate were linear - actual charge rates to 100% SOC might be longer … but the estimate to 85% SOC is going to be closer to real life…as with most things YMMV - but this table is still useful to show the range of possible outcomes given different charging rates.

enjoy!

Porsche Taycan [US - Northamerica] Table: How Long will it take to Charge my Taycan from [BLAH] Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 8.28.22 AM
Sponsored

Last edited:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wonderful work.

Can you indicate/add the effects of having or not having the 19.2 kW AC, 22.kW AC and 150 kW DC onboard chargers

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you.
And LOL @ the 18 hours (5 to 80%) and 8 hours (45 to 85%) for PMC+ set at 50% to avoid overheating. But hey, those PMC+ wire gauges meet code!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you.
And LOL @ the 18 hours (5 to 80%) and 8 hours (45 to 85%) for PMC+ set at 50% to avoid overheating. But hey, those PMC+ wire gauges meet code!
the PMC+ @ 50% line was added upon request by multiple forum members (private messages to me) - two of the members mention that unless they run PMC+ @ 50% it's overheating in their garage during hot days and dropping "offline" causing a charging error.

the line "adds" an exact 20 amp charge rate - which if you purchased an EVSE with a 20 amp charge rate would be a 25 amp breaker - so nothing on the table exactly "nailed" 4.8 kW charge rate…

since owning a PMCC since July of 2020 (and another since April of 2021) my opinion of them has not improved, in fact personal experience has lowered my opinion and numerous forum discussion and other's personal experience also have not helped - if the PMC+/PMCC was not included with the vehicle it would be almost impossible to to recommend them for an EVSE purchase consideration - there are higher quality more affordable options from other EVSE vendors.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wonderful work.

Can you indicate/add the effects of having or not having the 19.2 kW AC, 22.kW AC and 150 kW DC onboard chargers
I'll see what I can work out - but I'm desparately trying to keep the table "simple"

the effect is actually simple:

if you do not have the 19.2 kW charging - your Taycan's max L2 charge rate is 60 amp breaker (48 amp charge rate - 11 kW)
if you do not have the 400V/150 kW charging option you will max out at 50 kW @ 400V FastDC/L3 chargers (Tesla Superchargers)
lacking the 400V/150 kW charging option has _NO_ effect/limit on 800V FastDC/L3 chargers

so your Taycan's maximum charge rate with no charging options is as follows:

L2 Charging - upto 11 kW (60 amp breaker - 48 amp charge rate)
400V FastDC/L3 - 50 kW maximum charge rate (Tesla Supercharges)
800V FastDC/L3 - 270 kW maximum charge rate
Sponsored