W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Ok, so end to end you are relying on Porsche for this to work.

Can you send screen shots of the timer and profile you have set plus the SoC (State of Charge) prior to the charging session commencing. Some of this data will be available on your My Porsche Charging At Home Page - screen grab that.

Is your PMCC on a dedicated 32A supply from the fuse box to get 7.4kW (max) through the PMCC? If not, what setup do you have?

Determined to get this resolved...

Lupin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a dedicated 32A connection for my PMCC
I attach screen shots for my Timer and Profile (plus shots of the "pen" detail behind)

Pre-software update, my 4 nightly hours(00.30 to 04.30) of off-peak electricity routinely delivered a 29% increase in SOC.

I currently have 68% SOC, so I would hope that with these settings the car will; do nothing until 00.30, then charge until it reaches 85%(as set in the Timer) which should be before 04.30, then stop.

Since the software update, the nighttime charging has not initiated at all.

The PMCC works fine on direct charging and the departure timer on its own (ie with no preferred charging times from a profile) also works

Thanks for your great help on this

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? tempImageiJEIBV

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? tempImage3Ef12

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? tempImageqwgRD3

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? tempImageuMQoTW

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? tempImageI85YQc

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
First glance shows a departure time of 11:00am - this should be the same time as your off peak ends ie 04:30 otherwise the car will calculate that it doesn't need to charge until much later to reach your target.

I'll look some more but that is the first issue

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Yes, I’d say the departure time is your issue there from my experience. When I was attempting to get it to work the departure time override everything else rather annoyingly. The other watch out is the minimum charge in your profile. What’s this set at, as if below your SOC it could start charging early? Make sure you turn precool/ heat off as no point heating or cooling the car at 0430.
Ideally you’d set a min charge to 56% based on 29% you get in the 4 hours to take you to 85%, but from memory this would need to be 60% ( 5% increments), so the max you will get is 25% off peak with this set up. If below 60% charge and you didn’t want it to charge you’d need to increase the min charge value. Basically the above is why I gave up on this set up as it’s madness you have to go through a series of calculations to avoid it charging in peak times post software update, when all I want is it to charge from 0030-0430. Should be simple but isn’t.

Lupin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Setting the timer for 4.30 worked. Thanks
However, I dont see what the Profile is now doing for me. The timer seems to charge as late as possible, regardless of the stated preferred times in the Profile. I might as well just use a Timer and accept that I can only ever get 29% SOC at cheap rate.

Lupin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
it’s madness you have to go through a series of calculations to avoid it charging in peak times post software update, when all I want is it to charge from 0030-0430. Should be simple but isn’t.
Could not agree more!

mrcool1122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3, Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I will just say that I love the car but the charging time settings are needlessly complex. Hate to say it, but Tesla had it down. For each geographic location, you set a dead simple setting "Charge only between these times." That's what I want; just charge then and not other times. Profiles, timers, complex interplay of computer logic, planning ahead to when I may or may not drive the next day ... not user friendly.

Reactions: B61

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
However, it does not now work my car. It used to work (both with Timer + Profile, and just with the Profile). Now, post Software update it no longer works.
Really should work. Just delete all profiles and all timers. Then setup one profile for min charge level. Then setup one timer for max charge level.

Lupin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I mentioned my problem with Profiles to my Porsche dealer as part of feedback on the WMA5 software update and got this answer,-

Porsche are aware of the issue with profile charging, timer charging and problem after setting a minimum state of charge. They are currently working on a software fix for this.

In the meantime here is the workaround that Porsche have issued us:

In order to be able to load at the preferred times (e.g. for reasons of cost optimization), the following workaround applies:
Use profile with preferred charging time together with Timer:

1. Set a profile with the preferred charging time
  2. Set the timer to a one-off departure time on the following day or a daily, cyclical timer
This is of course the workaround we have discussed on the forum. At least I was not going mad, and a patch may be coming, but in the meantime the workaround is not ideal for me as departure time needs to be same as the end of the preferred charging period. This means I cannot charge during my preferred hours from a low state of charge. My cheap rate hours gives me only about 29% charge in one night, so I would normally charge over a number of consecutive nights if I had reached a low start of charge. (Setting the timer for several days in advance to cover this does not work.)

Hope the patch is OTA.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I mentioned my problem with Profiles to my Porsche dealer as part of feedback on the WMA5 software update and got this answer,-

Porsche are aware of the issue with profile charging, timer charging and problem after setting a minimum state of charge. They are currently working on a software fix for this.

In the meantime here is the workaround that Porsche have issued us:

In order to be able to load at the preferred times (e.g. for reasons of cost optimization), the following workaround applies:
Use profile with preferred charging time together with Timer:

1. Set a profile with the preferred charging time
  2. Set the timer to a one-off departure time on the following day or a daily, cyclical timer
This is of course the workaround we have discussed on the forum. At least I was not going mad, and a patch may be coming, but in the meantime the workaround is not ideal for me as departure time needs to be same as the end of the preferred charging period. This means I cannot charge during my preferred hours from a low state of charge. My cheap rate hours gives me only about 29% charge in one night, so I would normally charge over a number of consecutive nights if I had reached a low start of charge. (Setting the timer for several days in advance to cover this does not work.)

Hope the patch is OTA.
I've been doing this since day 1 - timer and profile.

Miketaycan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycsn
Country flag
I will confirm this is now broken after taking my car for the recall and update.

I had exactly the same profile setup to charge at 0.30 to 4.30

I've tried over a few nights to get it working so came here. Profile was working for 9 months.

Very annoying as its not easy to manage this manually and get the same cost savings. I would say it will increase cost of running the car by 3x for me as i just now have to have direct charging on when i get home or it just doesn't charge.

Previously i only charged between those hours every single day.

Ive been dealing with the 12v battery problem since getting the car last year and was having to jump the car every other week. We will see if thats fixed.

Infuriating experience so far with taycan.

Last edited:
  • Sad

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You must use a departure timer in conjunction with your location based profile. Try the following (note that it doesn't have to be daily nor does the car have to be charged every day - the tech will manage when the car is connected for charging or not) and note that 'departure' doesn't mean you have to leave / use the car at the time set but simply you want it charged to the required level by then and stop charging.

Disable / delete all legacy timers and profiles.

This 'must' work (has worked flawlessly since day 1) - I've used on PMCC and non-Porsche EVSE - perfect every time:

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? Profile - Preferred Charging Time
Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? Daily Timer.PNG

Miketaycan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycsn
Country flag
I only want the car to charge during off peak between 00.30 and 04.30. I dont want a minimum charge level.

Timers do not do this and are not a work around for achieving this.

Profiles are broken.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I only want the car to charge during off peak between 00.30 and 04.30. I dont want a minimum charge level.

Timers do not do this and are not a work around for achieving this.

Profiles are broken.
Sorry that's not correct.

Minimum relates to the state of charge (SOC) when you connect your charger. In the settings I've provided 25% means "when I connect the charger and my SOC is less than 25% then charge immediately to reach 25% and then pause and wait for the timer to kick in".

I think you have misinterpreted what these settings mean.

I use off peak too and I can categorically confirm these settings work. I never have an SOC <25% and so my charging pauses until the timer kicks in.

Please refer to the manual to understand the concepts better - it will help you in the long run.
Sponsored