Using a 3rd Party Home EV Charger Compromises Warranty? Updated response from PCNA

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
Correct - Autel can make a claim, but Porsche is the grantor of "privileges" (warranty etc.) Autel's claim would need to be endorsed by Porsche to be included in those privileges.

Having said that, I've long wondered why we didn't have a thread on the newly-introduced Autel EVSEs. Someone else mentioned theirs, this is the second mention. I, for one, would _totally_ be in favor of hijacking this thread and turning it into a review of the Autel devices. Any takers/givers of opinion?
I won’t have my Taycan for another few weeks (due to arrive at dealer 12/2) but I’ve had my Autel maxicharger hardwired to a 70A breaker for about a month now and it’s awesome! :like: I have it set to 50A charging 12kW - yes I know the Taycan can only do 48A at 11kW .

What’s so awesome about it? Well, for starters it has pretty damn good wifi range, if that’s important to you. I live in condo building and share a big basement garage with 6 neighbors, who all have their own smart EVSE from Tesla, Juicebox, and Chargepoint. None of theirs can connect to the closest wireless router in our lobby common area, located 1 floor above through a concreteceiling (everything is concrete in the basement garage). My Autel, surprisingly does! It connects, and with a nice iPhone app I can check charge statistics and history remotely, set a price per kW to track charging costs, change amperage settings remotely, initiate charges remotely (though I will probably just set it to auto-start upon plug-in), and on top of that it has a full suite of features most people probably won’t need in an EVSE: bluetooth connectivity, ethernet connectivity, and RFID/NFC activation via RFID card or NFC chip in your iPhone to prevent unauthorized use when installed in a shared parking garage like mine (not that I don’t trust my neighbors). Best part is it only cost me $440 on amazon (amazon frequently puts these on sale since it’s new) versus the $750 for the Chargepoint unit I originally wanted but didn’t because it was out of stock. The one thing I can’t yet confirm about the Autel that actually works is… charging an actual EV! Yeah, sorry, the Taycan will be my first EV so I have yet to test what the Autel‘s main purpose is lol. 😅 I‘m sure it’ll be fine. I suppose I could bother my neighbors if they’d let me test it on their Tesla or etron, but just haven’t found the time.
Porsche Taycan Using  a 3rd  Party Home  EV Charger Compromises Warranty? Updated response from PCNA 24263F0D-69A2-42A1-B21B-AD897BBED3F9
Sponsored

_Brian_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster GTS 4.0, Audi S5 & Taycan 4s (sold)
Country flag
A lot of discussion about liabilities if a 3rd party power supply feeding a Taycan causes a battery failure. My question to the group is: What are the odds of this event happening and how could it happen? The power supply device, Porsche's or a 3rd party is nothing more than a smart extension cord that limits amperage and documents a charging event (unless I am missing something). So, what power supply scenario could cause a battery failure and how frequently can it happen? The technology isn't that complicated

I believe a good analogy to an ICE vehicle is using bad gasoline resulting in damage to the injectors & engine. It's rare, but it happens and I'm guessing more frequently than a battery failure resulting from a 3rd party power supply.

Your thoughts welcome.