ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
What’s a start, so is it only the battery we have extra warranty on! 8 years, how many % capacity left?
I can see you have 3 years general warranty, we only have 2 years!

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
And has any dealer quoted the price of battery replacement after 160,000km or 100,000 miles?

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Aren’t they basically a part of the frame ? I think it’ll be impractical to replace them.

I’m cautiously optimistic about not really needing to. The older Tesla have a solid reputation for fairly minimal degradation (in the grand scheme of things) and Porsche has reserved ~10% of the battery pack to reduce charging wear and build in replacement capacity.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Aren’t they basically a part of the frame ? I think it’ll be impractical to replace them.

I’m cautiously optimistic about not really needing to. The older Tesla have a solid reputation for fairly minimal degradation (in the grand scheme of things) and Porsche has reserved ~10% of the battery pack to reduce charging wear and build in replacement capacity.
I heard in a video from a Porsche engineer that though the battery is structural it is removable with the proper lift equipment. That's the same with other EVs. Like the Bolt EV, it's not trivial but doable.

I do hope to not worry about actually needing it with the thermal management of Porsche.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
And has any dealer quoted the price of battery replacement after 160,000km or 100,000 miles?
With battery costs and capacities changing so rapidly, it's kind of silly to ask for a quote now on something you wouldn't need for years.
I'm sure they CAN quote it. Because they need to be prepared for crash damage replacements, but the number doesn't really mean anything in the context being discussed here: Warranty claims in the future.

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi

Got my contract including the warranty here in Denmark. The battery pack is guaranteed by the AG - not Porsche DK (Privately owner import).

Anyway the warranty is 8 years and 160.000 km (100.000 miles) but with a limit to 70% of original capacity!! Until 60.000 km and 3 years the limit is 80%. Tesla warranty unfortunately beating Porsche with some margin here :(

Moreover there are a lot og recomendations and guidance on how to keep and have charge on the battery pack in order to maintain the battery. Maily regarding SoC and ambient temperature (no more than 30C for prolonged periods of time etc.).

Last edited:

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
More on the warranty..

They (Porsche) have the right to make partial repairs or exchange the whole battery pack to make sure the promised capacity can be accieved! If the maximum charge after the 3 years is 65% of the original capacity, they are entitled to make substitutions or repairs on the individual cells in order to obtain the guaranteed 70% capacity. To change cells or pack they have to remove the whole pack as far as I see the way they built it. Hopefully it won't be an issue..

Last edited:

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Hi

Got my contract including the warranty here in Denmark. The battery pack is guaranteed by the AG - not Porsche DK (Privately owner import).

Anyway the warranty is 8 years and 160.000 km (100.000 miles) but with a limit to 70% of original capacity!! Until 60.000 km and 3 years the limit is 80%. Tesla warranty unfortunately beating Porsche with some margin here :(

Moreover there are a lot og recomendations and guidance on how to keep and have charge on the battery pack in order to maintain the battery. Maily regarding SoC and ambient temperature (no more than 30C for prolonged periods of time etc.).
Other manufacturers can’t charge using 800V, so they can offer 80% capacity warranty in 8 years. Porsche offers it to 70% condition free. Meaning that they cover the worse possible scenario, and that is: consistent super fast charging peaking at 270kW up to 100%! If you care about your car don’t do that and don’t worry your battery will last as long as the other manufacturers. There even is an option somewhere in the PCM to enable “battery friendly” charging which limits the car to 200kW which is still fast enough.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just heard 8 years on battery
But have we anything in writing?
It is documented in your sales documentation and on the Porsche website within the Taycan pages (configurator). Your dealership will also confirm.
Sponsored