Watch collectors - let's talk watches here!

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
Have a few others but these two seem to get all the wrist time for the last couple years. Glad I got them before things got stupid!

69973611-C32D-404C-AB1C-7BB4D0DCF8C4.jpeg
537B5128-8D60-4CAA-92F6-83F56F9BAD08.jpeg
my green swatch definitely looks like the rolex. i got mine for $70 CAD

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I first saw these (Chopard Eagle) advertised on that free Porsche magazine that gets sent.
I really like the green dial. It would be a good alternative for my Rolex Datejust.

But i also think its got a bit of a Patek Nautilus look to it......whuch is obviously a very good thing.

The green dial is lovely.
Hidden clasp on the rear and clear case back too.

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! Screenshot_20230820_215334_YouTube

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S, 2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I first saw these (Chopard Eagle) advertised on that free Porsche magazine that gets sent.
I really like the green dial. It would be a good alternative for my Rolex Datejust.

But i also think its got a bit of a Patek Nautilus look to it......whuch is obviously a very good thing.

The green dial is lovely.
Hidden clasp on the rear and clear case back too.
Chopard is an interesting brand. The Eagle in green is a stunning piece that would seem to also be a great GADA watch. Nice pick.

mco

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Love the playfulness of the Omega x Swatch collab. Pluto and Mars were on my short list but opted for a Mars as I personally think one of the most unique watches is the Omega Alaska Project. I also have a speedy sapphire sandwich, but find myself wearing this more often as it's just more fun.
Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 11.09.47 PM

Anyone picking up a Blancpain x Swatch?

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
The Alaska project is one of my favourite Speedys. Regret not picking one up when they were (relatively) peanuts years ago!

The Moonswatch is a fun idea, but I really don’t like how Swatch have handled the hype and whole situation.
Because of this, I have zero interest in the Swatch x Blancpain. Feels like even more of a cynical cash grab, especially at £340 for a plastic Sistem51.

Swatch should be fun, cheap and available, and these miss the mark on two of those points.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The Alaska project is one of my favourite Speedys. Regret not picking one up when they were (relatively) peanuts years ago!

The Moonswatch is a fun idea, but I really don’t like how Swatch have handled the hype and whole situation.
Because of this, I have zero interest in the Swatch x Blancpain. Feels like even more of a cynical cash grab, especially at £340 for a plastic Sistem51.

Swatch should be fun, cheap and available, and these miss the mark on two of those points.
I tend to agree.
Fun but too expensive for what is in reality an injection moulded plastic case with ceramic powder filler with throw away movement.

A cynical cash grab as you say.

I have a Swatch for holidays which is accurate, slim, light and was cheap!

I have 3 speedys, an early pre-moonwatch labeled Professional one I got new in 1971, it looked HUGE then, a triple date which looked normal sized (smaller than the pro) when I bought it and it was my daily for many years, and a “grey side of the moon” which seems normal sized unless viewed with the other two, it is the biggest of all.
I regret the fashion for oversized watches personally.

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
I tend to agree.
Fun but too expensive for what is in reality an injection moulded plastic case with ceramic powder filler with throw away movement.

I have 3 speedys, an early pre-moonwatch labeled Professional one I got new in 1971, it looked HUGE then, a triple date which looked normal sized (smaller than the pro) when I bought it and it was my daily for many years, and a “grey side of the moon” which seems normal sized unless viewed with the other two, it is the biggest of all.
For the more day-to-day I settled on the slightly smaller FOIS Speedy. However, I did switch the handset out for the regular white ones. Best of both worlds!

Absolutely, the value just isn't there. For similar money you could get a nice vintage Omega Genève, which look great and will last many lifetimes.

On the flip-side, it is a good marketing strategy. I suspect a lot of these social media kids hadn't heard of Blancpain, let alone Fifty Fathoms, until a week or so ago!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I tend to agree.

The oversized fad appears to be dying out, thankfully.

There was a great article in the FT about it recently.

https://www.ft.com/content/cb5cd810-172d-44ed-a7a0-52408d9678ee

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
I tend to agree.

As to the last sentence, I wholeheartedly agree. I wore a Breitling Montbrillant Legende for a few years and always regretted it (I’m not terribly thick of wrist). Changed it, finally, a few months ago for a bronze case, blue face IWC 41 Pilot which looks in proportion and not like I’ve eviscerated a grandfather clock for parts.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The oversized fad appears to be dying out, thankfully.

There was a great article in the FT about it recently.

https://www.ft.com/content/cb5cd810-172d-44ed-a7a0-52408d9678ee
Nice article.
I have been interested by watch movements for decades and my interest was originally piqued by work to make smaller thinner but robust and accurate movements than the pocket watch movements used in early huge wristwatches. The case was then possible to be made smaller, thinner so lighter.

Smaller watches were a celebration of the watchmaker’s craft.

I hate seeing a watch where the case is massively bigger than the movement needs with a big packer round it. They look particularly ridiculous from the back IMO.

I have acquired quite a few watches over the years and the only bigger ones have had complex movements like the Ulysse Nardin Tellurium Johannes Kepler