Where will you be charging - at work, work or?

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just saw this new section, I'll start! What will your charging habits be?

Will most of you be charging - at home or at work? Anyone hoping to have an Electrify America charger pop up around them or at a close dealership so you can mostly charge for free?

I'm personally hoping that my local dealership (Porsche Irvine) gets a charging station since I pass it daily on my commute and can easily top up in just a few minutes after work since my commute isn't many miles. It'll give me a frequent chance to drop in and check out what's in the showroom too :)
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I'll be charging mostly at home for my convenience - I have a 3 charger setup where the 3 chargers can split/share the load and charge up to 3 EV's at once sharing a 100 amp 240 volt circuit - the charger's dynamically adjust load to share while up to 3 EV's are charging, and as each EV finishes the load is then redistributed to the remaining EV(s) until all EV's are fully charged.

home charging and never getting in the car with an "empty" fuel tank in the morning is one of many pleasures of owning an EV in my opinion - it's full every morning just like my cell phone after charging overnight - also home electricity rates are typically much cheaper than public charging network rates - so it's also cost effective.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I'm hearing the charger will be inductive, so they'll probably just supply you with a 'mat' that you can place on the garage floor to charge the car whenever you pull-in. Should be pretty nice.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
inductive charing would be awesome.

TAEKON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
550M R8 S4 300B
Country flag
Primarily home charging (assuming Porsche is so kind as to make a Taycan for me), as I live in a very remote location and public chargers are/will not be very convenient. Longer term my aim is to roadtrip my car, so learning the “on the road” etiquette will be v. Important!

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
I plan to sneak into my neighbor’s garage twice a week and get me some free ‘lectricity

OP
OP
JayGT4

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm hearing the charger will be inductive, so they'll probably just supply you with a 'mat' that you can place on the garage floor to charge the car whenever you pull-in. Should be pretty nice.
Interesting. First I've heard of an inductive charging option. I assume the charging rate will pale in comparison to direct charging cable though? Wonder how much slower....

Series7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 BMW M550i
Country flag
Interesting. First I've heard of an inductive charging option. I assume the charging rate will pale in comparison to direct charging cable though? Wonder how much slower....
It'd probably be less efficient, but not too bad... as an example, BMW's inductive floor charging pad transmits 3.2 kw of power (plugged into a 220v outlet). That charges a 530e's 9.2 kw battery in 3.5 hours, compared to a charge time of three hours for the hard-wired 3.7-kW BMW i Wallbox.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
3.2 kW would take 28 hours to fully charge the Taycan's 90 kWh battery - there is a company that makes a charger for Tesla's inductive that is 7.2 kW - that would be better.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
3.2 kW would take 28 hours to fully charge the Taycan's 90 kWh battery - there is a company that makes a charger for Tesla's inductive that is 7.2 kW - that would be better.
According to the Porsche Experience event for the Taycan, the Tesla charging facilities will not be compatible with the Taycan so that may not work?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla "fast" charging is not compatible - J-1772/L2 charging is a standard - if Porsche is incompatible with that they are incompatible with all the L2 Electrify America chargers that are being installed which Audi/Porsche is supporting…

The Taycan will be 100% compatible with L2 J-1772 EVSE's - and Tesla's use the J-1772 L2 protocols to charge their cars…

where the two companies diverge is in L3 Fast-DC charging - Tesla has their Supercharger Standard, and Porsche has the DCFC standard with their 800 volt adaptations for 350,000 watt charging.

And also the 7.2 kW inductive charger for the Tesla isn't _FROM_ Tesla it's an independent company - I was simply pointing out there is already a 7.2 kW inductive charging product on the market - so we know at least that much power can be done wirelessly…

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
David you have far superior knowledge to me on charging systems. I was just asking the moderator of the Porsche program if the Taycan could use the Tesla rapid charging facilities and he indicated not.:confused:

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
I'll be charging from home, do you know some good suppliers for DC chargers?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I'll be charging at work mostly which is free.
Or I'll charge at the dealerships for three years.
For free.
I'll plug it in, sit in a GT2 RS for half an hour and go home.

SHY

First Name
Svein Harald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ymr.no
Vehicles
Mercedes R-Class, Saab 9-5, Mac Minarelli X30 gokart
Country flag
I'll be charging from home, do you know some good suppliers for DC chargers?
If you have preordered I think you should have received info on Porsche’s wall charger via email.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: TIM