Rayo2703

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I haven’t received my car yet but have I installed my home charger and am trying to understand what I need to do to charge on the road. Which is the best app to register with? What do I need to know? Watched a good video on YouTube but it relates to North America.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rayo2703

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Which is the best app to join? Should I join the Porsche charging network or are others better? Does it cost to join more than one?

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Which is the best app to join? Should I join the Porsche charging network or are others better? Does it cost to join more than one?
That is part of the package when you get your car. You need to join it and you will get prefferential rates at Ionity and a lot of other charging points. Your dealer should help you set it all up and it woks great.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I haven’t received my car yet but have I installed my home charger and am trying to understand what I need to do to charge on the road. Which is the best app to register with? What do I need to know? Watched a good video on YouTube but it relates to North America.
You'll get 3 years Ionity free access once you register for the Porsche Charging Service - sounds good but limited depending on where you live.

Most providers don't require / mandate an app (or subscription) and offer a pay as you go service (KW charge is slightly higher) - so just rock up for a volt and bolt.

Suggest registering for BP Pulse, Shell Recharge, Chargeplace Scotland, Osprey and eVolt and whatever is prevalent where you live.

No need to rush into this as (hopefully) most of your daily charging is at home where overnight charging is a winner.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
As someone pointed out in a post I read a while ago, if you need to be registered with an app to get a charger started, it is a whole lot easier to do that from the comfort of your living room rather than a cold/windy/wet service area with dodgy mobile coverage. Probably easiest to just register for these and then they are all ready if you need them. My impression is that it is a good idea to have a plan B and C for charging when on a trip. And maybe plans D, E and F as well

OP
OP

Rayo2703

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Do they all charge a fee? Or is it free to register?

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Mostly free to register. Instavolt debited me £1 - not sure why. Others were free. I don’t think it makes it any cheaper but gives you extra options to get the charger started. You can subscribe to a network for cheaper electricity if you plan to use it a lot. I don’t have my Taycan yet, but it seemed a sensible thing to do. One charger that I might use looked like it might need a card to start it (Shell). I might find it doesn’t need a special card when it comes to it, but better that way round. I suspect that I won’t use most of them, but seeing how many chargers seem to be out of order at any one time I feel happier being registered to use all of the larger networks.
Sponsored