Stewartt997

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST4S
Country flag
I'm hoping to get my ST 4S in a few months. Which charge provider apps does the average Tyacan driver need in the UK to benefit from charging away from home? As an electric virgin I really don't know which charge points are most reliable / best value? TIA.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
  1. Shell Recharge (Shell Garages)
  2. BP
  3. Instavolt
  4. Osprey
  5. ChargePlace Scotland (Scotland)
  6. Ionity - (you will get a Taycan Charge Card with your car and rates are discounted, 350kW)
  7. Porsche - (you will get a Taycan Charge Card with your car but note that you are charge for power and time albeit at a reduced rate for the first 3 years of ownership - more expensive but up to 350kW)
  8. Many others - rates will be similar but watch out for those which charge for time as well as energy (I'd avoid on principle unless stuck).
Download ZapMap (for example) to identify DC chargers in your area and where you are likely to travel - this will provide lots of detail including rates, access etc.

The PCM in the car will have many >= 50kW DC EVSEs ("chargers") listed so this may work out well for you too.

Many don't require a card or subscription and facilitate PAYG with any payment card.

When on the road always track down the most powerful DC EVSE for speed of charging. 50kW is the minimum and you should expect to find anything up to 350kW (Ionity / Porsche).

Charge at home overnight and you may not need to charge that often during the working week.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
  1. Shell Recharge (Shell Garages)
  2. BP
  3. Instavolt
  4. Osprey
  5. ChargePlace Scotland (Scotland)
  6. Ionity - (you will get a Taycan Charge Card with your car and rates are discounted, 350kW)
  7. Porsche - (you will get a Taycan Charge Card with your car but note that you are charge for power and time albeit at a reduced rate for the first 3 years of ownership - more expensive but up to 350kW)
  8. Many others - rates will be similar but watch out for those which charge for time as well as energy (I'd avoid on principle unless stuck).
Download ZapMap (for example) to identify DC chargers in your area and where you are likely to travel - this will provide lots of detail including rates, access etc.

The PCM in the car will have many >= 50kW DC EVSEs ("chargers") listed so this may work out well for you too.

Many don't require a card or subscription and facilitate PAYG with any payment card.

When on the road always track down the most powerful DC EVSE for speed of charging. 50kW is the minimum and you should expect to find anything up to 350kW (Ionity / Porsche).

Charge at home overnight and you may not need to charge that often during the working week.
I think you forgot to mention Gridserve, that are rolling out large stations now With HPC.

and please do not forget the Tesla network, very reliable, and many chargers on the same site.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I think you forgot to mention Gridserve, that are rolling out large stations now With HPC.

and please do not forget the Tesla network, very reliable, and many chargers on the same site.
Yep - not familiar with Gridserve (thin on the ground in Scotland and behind what they're offering in UK which looks quite impressive). We have only 1 Tesla EVSE location (Aviemore) that works for non-Tesla users.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yep - not familiar with Gridserve (thin on the ground in Scotland and behind what they're offering in UK which looks quite impressive). We have only 1 Tesla EVSE location (Aviemore) that works for non-Tesla users.
I hope that there will be many more HPC stations in Scotland soon. There are some of the most stunning roads to drive up there.
Sponsored