Which tariff to choose for Porsche Charging Service UK?

Dave-GTS

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Sport Turismo GTS (2024)
Country flag
Hi all,

Collected my Taycan Sport Turismo GTS at the weekend. When I signed up to Porsche Connect I was faced with two tariff options for the Porsche charging service.

This is my first EV , so very new to it all. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on which tariff is the best value? I've attached a pic of the two options.

Porsche Taycan Which tariff to choose for Porsche Charging Service UK? Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 08.01.50

I think I'm right in saying I'll probably only use DC chargers when out and about, or on longer journeys, doubt I'll use AC that much but correct me if that assumption is wrong.

All advice greatly appreciate 👍
Dave
Sponsored

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4, Porsche Taycan GTS ST, Jeep Cherokee XJ.
Country flag
Evening Dave - I have gone with the standard (?) charging, 30p per Kwh at Ionity, I haven't bothered with a home charger as there is one near work so easy (night shift). I also subscribe £10.99 a month to the Tesla Superchargers, I tried one recently at Frankly Services southbound and it worked seamlessly, just gives a few more options and minimal monthly fee, it cost 43p per KwH there. Three years free subs for Ionity also, of course the price may go up but it's not bad at all. Haven't bothered with AC at all yet.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi all,

Collected my Taycan Sport Turismo GTS at the weekend. When I signed up to Porsche Connect I was faced with two tariff options for the Porsche charging service.

This is my first EV , so very new to it all. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on which tariff is the best value? I've attached a pic of the two options.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 08.01.50.png

I think I'm right in saying I'll probably only use DC chargers when out and about, or on longer journeys, doubt I'll use AC that much but correct me if that assumption is wrong.

All advice greatly appreciate 👍
Dave
Home charging?

I wouldn't pay more than is necessary for this service and is restricted to specific providers with Ionity being the key one.

Go plus for the free period of 3 years and see whats on offer in 2027.

I have used Ionity twice in 3.5 years as there aren't many around and mostly charge st home. I won't pay for a subscription service given my use case.

OP
OP

Dave-GTS

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Sport Turismo GTS (2024)
Country flag
Thanks for your replies Nigel / Adrian. I intend to charge at home, just wasn't sure on the best option for this subscription as the rates vary. Pretty hard to suss out which one is the best without any experience of charging, so thought it was worth an ask.

One thing to point out is that both subscriptions are free until March 2027. It's just the rates and timings that vary. I was swaying towards 'Plus' as there is no time charge for the first hour.

One quick question - Are the Porsche dealership chargers the same as Ionity?

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for your replies Nigel / Adrian. I intend to charge at home, just wasn't sure on the best option for this subscription as the rates vary. Pretty hard to suss out which one is the best without any experience of charging, so thought it was worth an ask.

One thing to point out is that both subscriptions are free until March 2027. It's just the rates and timings that vary. I was swaying towards 'Plus' as there is no time charge for the first hour.

The Porsche dealership EVSE will work with your Taycan Charge Card / App / Plug and Charge (if enabled in your PCM) - note that they used to also charge for time spent charging (which is just ridiculous). Not sure who runs them but assume it isn't Ionity.

Once you are out in the field you will quickly figure out what your charging requirements typically are and where you would typically charge and with which provider.

Bear in mind that many providers are not covered by the Porsche service so you will need to carry other RFID cards (or PAYG). Most recently BP Pulse was added to the Porsche set up which is good. A good aggregator is OVO Electroverse - sign-up for that (free) - and you can use their card at many providers (not Ionity or Porsche) including MFG (they have great facilities in my experience).

Personally I would avoid any and all charging subscriptions (including Tesla) as you could well end up paying more in subscriptions than paying on demand when needed. Porsche (any but obviously Plus for now) is the way to go for now but review in 2027. Note that charging time is charged on most tariffs offered apart from Ionity currently which is ideal.

DS29

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
. A good aggregator is OVO Electroverse - sign-up for that (free) - and you can use their card at many providers (not Ionity or Porsche) including MFG (they have great facilities in my experience).
From my reading around I gather this (octopus electroverse) is one of the best options. Any referral codes going amongst the taycan community members? Was going to sign up but looks like it’s worth doing via a referral for some free credit
Thanks

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
For me it's the Porsche Charging Service (i.e. not "plus"), without a doubt. I do use IONITY mainly, which is the reason I am happy I'm on the standard (non plus) tariff. The new "plus" one seems incredibly bad value.

This video may help you.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
From my reading around I gather this (octopus electroverse) is one of the best options. Any referral codes going amongst the taycan community members? Was going to sign up but looks like it’s worth doing via a referral for some free credit
Thanks
Porsche Taycan Which tariff to choose for Porsche Charging Service UK? Screenshot_20240426-043255_Electroverse

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I signed up for a myriad of cards/apps while waiting for my hugely depreciating asset to arrive! I don't charge that often away from home and when i do (aside from ionity and instavolt) i always just tap my credit card. It's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but should i be using the apps/rifd cards? Or is it the same rate whatever? Sorry, probably a lazy question!

DSB

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Defender 2013
Country flag
After getting some apps/cards I went with Octopus electroverse (already a customer and on the intelligent go tariff) which i've used. It keeps the costs in one place and the app worked at the charge point, so set up in the car, plugged in and got a coffee. Got the Porsche card but not used it yet though as the charge points have not been on my route, as with most, vast majority of my charging is at home.

DSB

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Defender 2013
Country flag
After getting some apps/cards I went with Octopus electroverse (already a customer and on the intelligent go tariff) which i've used. It keeps the costs in one place and the app worked at the charge point, so set up in the car, plugged in and got a coffee. Got the Porsche card but not used it yet though as the charge points have not been on my route, as with most, vast majority of my charging is at home.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Dealership EVSEs aren't Ionity and you will be charged for both power and time spent charging (welcome to Porsche!) - scandalous! Generally, other non-EVs are parked in the spaces and many dealerships have restricted access (business hours only) so watch out.

General rule of thumb - never pay for a subscription unless you are a heavy public charging user. Give the money to charity instead.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Aggregation through Electroverse is really good / useful....just needs to Ionity to get on board.

Correction - Ionity are onboard but at £0.71p / kW (!!!)

Last edited:

n3ophyte

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Nissan GT-R
Country flag
Last edited: