Windows down wind buffeting

Grayblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I was driving with both front windows down yesterday and noticed that the wind buffeting sound was unbearable. It happens when I reach 60 mph+. I'm wondering if this is happening with other turismo specific owners? Is it the shape of the wagon?
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
it is not a flaw confined to the taycan it can happen to most cars because they have become so aerodynamic.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I was driving with both front windows down yesterday and noticed that the wind buffeting sound was unbearable. It happens when I reach 60 mph+. I'm wondering if this is happening with other turismo specific owners? Is it the shape of the wagon?
Whenever I have front windows down (TBH on any 4 door car regardless), I'd always at the very least crack open the two rear windows even a couple of inches and that would greatly minimize any buffeting. Suggest this is def not unique to the wagon.

Last edited:

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
As mentioned above, I imagine the design is absolutely critical to get the car as aerodynamic as possible - with the windows up.

So with windows down, it throws a huge spanner in the works and is why the buffering is so bad.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Very common to Porsche 911's as well. A couple of companies have made after market wind deflectors to eliminate this problem. AWE Tuning is my "go to" for solving this problem with the 911. I have not researched if they are making one for the Taycan, but may be worth a look. Another vendor is Blackmill Wind Buffeting Foilers

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
You are sitting inside a bass flute with god blowing over two mouthpieces at once, the pressure fluctuation is huge and normal, I just crack 1 rear window open an inch and it prevents the resonance from building up as much.
The Taycan isn’t the worst car I have had like this but is perhaps one of the prices we pay in modern cars for generally having attached flow over flush surfaces.

OP
OP
Grayblack

Grayblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I guess it is the trade off of modern cars and their aerodynamics. I know the easy solution is to crack the rear windows. I've just never experienced such bad buffeting from a car before.
Sponsored