dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Ugh. Over the weekend I got pelted by a rock driving through NY/NJ, which left a dime-sized star on the passenger's side, low.

Insurance, of course, wanted a seal, which I just had done and, alas, the star is still visible: its appearance basically didn't change at all.

Windshield replacements are one of those things I hate to do...the seal never quite seems as good, the alignment is hardly "robot precise" when done, and while you can get the various cameras and sensors lined up right, well...

Any thoughts on whether I should just live with the star?
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
FWIW I had my PPF installer put on STEK windshield film during the body wrap.
~1000 miles into ownership and BAM - chip in the film. I agree with your statement about windshield replacement. In my case if/when the film gets beat up I can simply replace it.

It also has some hydrophobic quality and because it's a film I can utilize quick detailer spray to clean it (bugs) and that helps add lubricity to aid in water dispersion.

https://www.stekautomotive.com/ws/dynoflex/

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd never heard of Dynoflex; my car is also fully wrapped, and unfortunately "fully" didn't include this. >sigh<

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd never heard of Dynoflex; my car is also fully wrapped, and unfortunately "fully" didn't include this. >sigh<
New product release earlier this year. So far it has been performing way better than clearplex. Optics are improved over clearplex as well.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
Ugh. Over the weekend I got pelted by a rock driving through NY/NJ, which left a dime-sized star on the passenger's side, low.

Insurance, of course, wanted a seal, which I just had done and, alas, the star is still visible: its appearance basically didn't change at all.

Windshield replacements are one of those things I hate to do...the seal never quite seems as good, the alignment is hardly "robot precise" when done, and while you can get the various cameras and sensors lined up right, well...

Any thoughts on whether I should just live with the star?

I had the same thing happen to me a few days ago and am in the same boat. I did have a chip about a year ago on the driver's side and the sealant worked pretty well, but I am not sure this time around as this is about the size that you describe. Mine is on the driver's side up high.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
FWIW I had my PPF installer put on STEK windshield film during the body wrap.
~1000 miles into ownership and BAM - chip in the film. I agree with your statement about windshield replacement. In my case if/when the film gets beat up I can simply replace it.

It also has some hydrophobic quality and because it's a film I can utilize quick detailer spray to clean it (bugs) and that helps add lubricity to aid in water dispersion.

https://www.stekautomotive.com/ws/dynoflex/
only a one year warranty for it not turning purple. does not sound good.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
only a one year warranty for it not turning purple. does not sound good.
Weird statement on their part. It's fine.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Had my rear window crack, like many others, the replacement was Porsche glass, since there is no aftermarket. I had the dealer recommend a glass shop who has experience with Porsche, and the install was flawless. You must use Porsche glass, and if you use an experienced glass guy, it will be just like factory. My glass guy had just done a 918 Spyder, so I figured he'd be ok to do my Taycan.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just replaced the windshield on my Turbo taycan because of a stone chip. Had to wait 3 weeks for the acoustic glass but all is now fine. Chips happen...

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, I think this is going to be a similar situation. Just dreading it. But seeing that star is really annoying me.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was think about taking my car on a long, multi-day drive in the country. As the 4S was only a few weeks old and charging very limited at the sites we were visiting, I ended up taking my wife's XC70. Glad I did as roads were terrible and picked up two chips with stars on the windscreen. Was wary about the replacement as lots of cameras/sensors and insurer would not let the the Volvo dealer do it. Infact insurer's glass shop did a great job and looks fine, all sensors working - but had to really push for Volvo only glass.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had STEK DYNOflex installed just before I took an 1,100 mile road trip through summer construction zones last month. Got a couple loud rock hits but no windshield cracks.

EDIT: corrected name of windshield protection product to DYNOflex from DynoShield.

Last edited:

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting - no local suppliers of this product in Australia. The have the film for paint, but not for the windscreen.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had STEK DynoShield installed just before I took an 1,100 mile road trip through summer construction zones last month. Got a couple loud rock hits but no windshield cracks.
Yep! It works well.
Sponsored