Winter Tire/Wheel Square setup

RR_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Defender
Country flag
Hi all,

I was thinking of installing an aftermarket square 19“ or 20” winter tire/wheel setup, instead of a staggered setup on ‘21 Taycan 4S. Is that possible? The car came with 21 inch wheels and 21 inch staggered winter tires are super expensive. I prefer smaller wheels in the winter. I used to have a BMW M2 and M3, that came with staggered wheels, but installed non-staggered in the winter and it worked perfectly fine.
Sponsored

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Hi all,

I was thinking of installing an aftermarket square 19“ or 20” winter tire/wheel setup, instead of a staggered setup on ‘21 Taycan 4S. Is that possible? The car came with 21 inch wheels and 21 inch staggered winter tires are super expensive. I prefer smaller wheels in the winter. I used to have a BMW M2 and M3, that came with staggered wheels, but installed non-staggered in the winter and it worked perfectly fine.
Why square? A set of OE 19” wheels is fairly inexpensive, and a set of winters in OE size is ~1300. The diff in price between fronts and rears is 50-70$, so you wouldn’t save a lot. Otoh, the diff in size is significant (50mm in the 19” size).

OP
OP

RR_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Defender
Country flag
Good point. Couple of reasons I was thinking of getting a square set, one is that I could rotate the wheels. Second, it’s easy to find a lightly used set of winter tires over marketplace locally, and I could just get some aftermarket wheels. I just wasn’t sure if it was technically possible to put a square set.
Sponsored