Winters coming ( well nearly...)

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I have had my Taycan for over a month now and have covered 2000miles. It’s been a learning curve but I think I have got the hang of charging etc As I am new to EV.

But this has me thinking, do I need to do anything different in the winter due to the lower temperatures. I have not even considered battery pre-conditioning or anything like that, I just jump in a drive and then charge when the car is low.

Do I need to consider and prepare differently or seeing as my daily meal age will be less than 50 miles and only charge at 50kw chargers maximum just carry on the same as I am in the summer ( but expect less range)?
Sponsored

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello,

good question. I got my 4S on February 15th, when temperatures in Bavaria were still quite low, often around freezing. The effect of the cold battery on charging performance is very big, but you can mitigate it using the charge planner, sports mode (which preheats the battery) and/or 10 launch controls in a row. Initially I didn't know these tricks and was disappointed with the charge rate, but that has gone.

The open question for me is the right choice of winter tyres/winter wheels. It will be a costly purchase, so one should rather invest a bit more thinking into it. E.g. one could use the existing 20" rims, put winter tyres on them, and buy 21" rims for the summer of 21 ;-)!

Cheers,
Henrik