domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
Just read Illinois proposing a special EV registration fee that is 57 times more than standard vehicle fee. $1,000 per year instead of $18. Wow !!!!

They need that gas tax and bad !
Sponsored

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
Just read Illinois proposing a special EV registration fee that is 57 times more than standard vehicle fee. $1,000 per year instead of $18. Wow !!!!

They need that gas tax and bad !
Well that’s a good way to kill the Green movement. LOL:D

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
Most often if the government want people to act in a given direction there are tax incentives for that behavior.:confused: This Illinois tax looks like a disincentive to go Green. It would appear that intelligent government regulators (if there is such a group?) would have credits for EVs until there are substantial numbers of these vehicles on the road, then introduce taxes to compensate for lost fuel taxes. But then what do I know I just ran a profitable business for 39 years. :D

Nickatgt

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model S75D ; 2013 Lexus RX350
Country flag
The great State of Georgia charges an annual fee for electric vehicles.

"Effective July 1, 2019, the annual Alternative Fuel Vehicle licensing fees set out below must be paid at the time of initial registration or renewal of all qualifying vehicles. The following Alternative Fuel Vehicle fees will apply to all registrations that begin on or have a renewal date of July 1, 2019 or later.

Commercial Motor Vehicle Fee: $319.27
Non-Commercial Motor Vehicle Fee: $212.78

These fees apply to the following vehicles:
• Vehicles that operate solely on electricity, regardless of whether the owner uses an alternative fuel vehicle license plate.
• Plug-in hybrid-electric or flex fuel vehicles (such as E-85), but only if those vehicles have elected an alternative fuel vehicle license plate. "
From Electrify Atlanta:
"In the 2015 session, state legislators passed a mammoth transportation bill that killed the $5000 tax credit and added a new $200 annual fee for EV owners.

The new “road use fee” for EVs applies to all pure EV registrations in Georgia, and is applied annually. The fee was $200 in 2015 but is inflation adjusted and is up to $213.69 as of July 2018. All pure EVs in Georgia must pay this fee, without exception. Range-extended EVs (e.g. Chevy Volt, BMW i3 REx) and plug-in hybrids (e.g. Ford Energi models, BMW PHEV models, Toyota Prius plug-in) are given a choice: they can pay the $200 fee when they get an AFV tag (that gets them the HOV lane access described above), or they can choose not to get the AFV tag (and thus not get the HOV lane perk).

In theory this annual fee was to compensate for the fact that EVs don’t buy gasoline and therefore don’t pay for road maintenance, which is funded by state taxes on gasoline. However, EV owners have howled in protest over this because the $200 number they picked is wildly unfair. If you do the math, a comparable car’s annual gas usage results in $50-$85 in taxes paid, and most EV owners are perfectly willing to pay that kind of fee. But $200 is more than the worst pickup truck or SUV would pay in gas taxes, and those heavy vehicles do much more damage to the roads than a typical car. Further, the $200 collected actually does not go into Georgia’s road maintenance budget, rather passes into the general fund.

Every year since then, EV owners have tried to get the legislature to correct this error, however legislators refuse to touch it."​

That's our politicians.

Mike V

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
918, Taycan GTS ST, Tesla Model S P100D
Country flag
Ohio just passed a "gas tax" increase bill that includes a $200/yr registration fee for EVs and PHEVs. $100/yr for gas hybrids without an AC plug-in connection. The calculations seem to point to 15,000 miles/yr usage and recovery of the road-repair gas tax that was avoided by not using as much gasoline per mile.

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
Ohio just passed a "gas tax" increase bill that includes a $200/yr registration fee for EVs and PHEVs. $100/yr for gas hybrids without an AC plug-in connection. The calculations seem to point to 15,000 miles/yr usage and recovery of the road-repair gas tax that was avoided by not using as much gasoline per mile.
Typical government stupidity.

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
Typical government stupidity.
using the same rationale, if you trade an ICE car that gets, say, 20 mpg for one that gets 40 mpg, you should also pay a higher registration fee

PCASSOO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
I just paid my registration on the Taycan 4S and it was $1,166.00 for the year. But I do live in California where they get us every which way.

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
EV drivers have been freeloading for years now. At some point the roads need to be maintained, and that costs money.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
My CA annual registration was $1544. I believe included an extra EV tax on it. Can't say they discriminate since I remember gas guzzler tax on the other end. Pretty much CA will tax you for existing in the state and doing anything :p

I'm expecting to be taxed for this post any time now...

_Brian_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster GTS 4.0, Audi S5 & Taycan 4s (sold)
Country flag
Wow, I feel fortunate being in Virginia. I just did a 3 year renewal registration for our 2022 Taycan at $452. By comparison, I also just completed a 3 year renewal registration for our 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0 at $98. Difference is EV road tax as the vehicles are similarly apprised. There is also a program in our state that allows your to base your EV registration fee on annual mileage if you think you'll drive less than their benchmark, but more if you exceed. For me, it wasn't worth the bother at these fee rates.

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
When I left Illinois 10 years ago it was 99$ per year and per véhicule not $18 as stated above.
in Nevada it is based on the MSRP which is $2000 per year EV or not.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Most often if the government want people to act in a given direction there are tax incentives for that behavior.:confused: This Illinois tax looks like a disincentive to go Green. It would appear that intelligent government regulators (if there is such a group?) would have credits for EVs until there are substantial numbers of these vehicles on the road, then introduce taxes to compensate for lost fuel taxes. But then what do I know I just ran a profitable business for 39 years. :D
Or how about this: Levy a fraction of a penny per kWh tax on all electricity used by all consumers. Even people who walk to and from work will get taxed (and scream bloody murder) but it is hard to argue that they do not benefit from roads when food, clothing, mail, etc. is 100% transported by truck on publicly funded roads. (And if one has an eye on the future, it is just a matter of time before eVTOL craft become a thing so we might as well craft a tax scheme that incudes them.)
Sponsored