Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
“The 48A / 11.5kW Generac EV charger is a Level 2 home charger capable of charging a car battery in as little as four to six hours, depending on the car battery's capacity and charge need. The unit's J1772 connector is out-of-the-box compatible with nearly all EVs on the market today, and a NEMA-4 enclosure makes the unit rated for both indoor and outdoor residential installation.”
https://www.generac.com/media-relat...on-of-residential-electrical-vehicle-chargers
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
They stopped short. They could have made it even more ugly.

What's the thought process here? Consumers need even more choice in EVSE's to buy? Feels like the early days of the App Stores: every corner shop needs an app.

There is no way all these EVSE's will win out.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
What's the thought process here? Consumers need even more choice in EVSE's to buy? Feels like the early days of the App Stores: every corner shop needs an app.

There is no way all these EVSE's will win out.
Brand loyalty. Generac is a well-respected manufacturer of home generators, and I'm sure they'll be able to sell a few.

TBH, I've been looking at EVSEs, reading/watching reviews, and the amount of "no names" in the space is staggering. Even the well-regarded ones are unknown to me, a newcomer to EVs. I was pleasantly surprised to find a Bosch EVSE, not surprised at its cost ($800? wtaf..)

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Brand loyalty. Generac is a well-respected manufacturer of home generators, and I'm sure they'll be able to sell a few.

TBH, I've been looking at EVSEs, reading/watching reviews, and the amount of "no names" in the space is staggering. Even the well-regarded ones are unknown to me, a newcomer to EVs. I was pleasantly surprised to find a Bosch EVSE, not surprised at its cost ($800? wtaf..)
Yeah, its amazing. I'm not complaining about choice – just find it interesting. Every EV: its like the start of a gold rush.

I bought my EVSE with very little research – originally for my hybrid Panamera – so I guess it was also less important then. I'm happy with it – the Zappi v2 – I randomly made a reasonable choice.

If I was buying today – I'm strangely drawn to the tethered ABB unit:

https://new.abb.com/ev-charging/terra-ac-wallbox

I like:
  • the industrial simplicity of its design
  • the lack of spurious functions and screens
  • the RFID unlock
  • and for my installation: optional SIM to relay back power usage and status (where I have some 3G signal but no wifi in underground car park)
Next week, I'll probably prefer another one!

But, seriously, if I was buying today – I'd buy from a vendor that is going to be around for the long haul.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Wow, the configurability of that model! Looks nice, doesn't seem to be available in the US. Absolutely right on the gold rush - I can now find EVSEs at my local hardware store (or I should say they carry EVSEs, and sometimes have those in stock).

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Yeah, its amazing. I'm not complaining about choice – just find it interesting. Every EV: its like the start of a gold rush.

I bought my EVSE with very little research – originally for my hybrid Panamera – so I guess it was also less important then. I'm happy with it – the Zappi v2 – I randomly made a reasonable choice.

https://new.abb.com/ev-charging/terra-ac-wallbox

I like:
  • the industrial simplicity of its design
  • the lack of spurious functions and screens
  • the RFID unlock
  • and for my installation: optional SIM to relay back power usage and status (where I have some 3G signal but no wifi in underground car park)
Next week, I'll probably prefer another one!

But, seriously, if I was buying today – I'd buy from a vendor that is going to be around for the long haul.
Totally with you on the ugly :) The ChargePoint HomeFlex, a well established brand here in the US at this point, is so much classier but offers far more optionality too:

Porsche Taycan Generac releases an EVSE IMG_5464

EDIT: just added - earlier version of garage layout w/o the WiFi thermometer stuck on the EVSE :)!
Porsche Taycan Generac releases an EVSE IMG_5298

Versus this!

Porsche Taycan Generac releases an EVSE Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 1.15.21 PM