Ians

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Maserati Grancabrio, Ford F150
Country flag
Neither of the automatic charging ports will open. This happened before and it was at the dealers for a week. Worked ok for a around 2 weeks and now gone again. There is a tool in the toolbox to over ride the switch which rather implies a known problem. I’m nervous about damaging the port if I use it. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Neither of the automatic charging ports will open. This happened before and it was at the dealers for a week. Worked ok for a around 2 weeks and now gone again. There is a tool in the toolbox to over ride the switch which rather implies a known problem. I’m nervous about damaging the port if I use it. Anyone else experience this?
Only when it is Locke and I forgot the key!

Try the Manager’s reset:
  • Manually turn off Taycan: press and hold the dash on/off button >3 seconds
  • Lock car
  • Move all keys >30 ft. (10 m) away
  • Wait 15 minutes
  • Unlock Taycan
  • Try opening one charge port, only one can be open at the same time
  • A malfunction in one port may prevent the other port from opening
  • Extra points for checking fuses!

OP
OP

Ians

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Port opened this morning with one touch! Good news for this morning but not so good going forward as I won’t trust it and the dealer probably won’t be able to fix what is working fine. Good point re fuses. With all the mysterious stuff in the car, it’s easy to overlook the easy checks!

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
My car is currently in service because the driver's side door stopped working. Passenger's side works (although it's been a bit weird and balky). Definitely isn't an issue of freezing, it was diagnosed as busted and they do need to replace parts, which are going to take a while to come in.

Hopefully the replacement will work reliably...

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
Hmmmm. The inventory car I chose does not have the auto charge covers. Really hesitated on that but dealer assured me it was only gimmick and something prone to faulting. Was probably only saying this to get to buy the inventory car but when I read this topic now I’m kinda relieved. Normam covers will work just as well and far less chance of issues.

Pepperkake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hmmmm. The inventory car I chose does not have the auto charge covers. Really hesitated on that but dealer assured me it was only gimmick and something prone to faulting. Was probably only saying this to get to buy the inventory car but when I read this topic now I’m kinda relieved. Normam covers will work just as well and far less chance of issues.
You made the correct choice, had mine with this "gimmick" and its now awaiting parts to be repaired on the right side. Not a good start with the new car.. As they describe it it looks to be a know issue.

OP
OP

Ians

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My fears regarding the ports were well founded! A week or so ago the ports failed to open but did for no apparent reason open the following morning. On Saturday the charging cable would not release from the car. Porsche assistance had a tool which allowed them to manually release it but now the port will not close. The light on the release button is not working. I put it on charge and again the cable would not release. I released it manually but still port will not close. I don’t know if these problems are related but from my experience do not choose automatic opening charge ports if possible! Also, park in such a way that you can always fully open the door. If its restricted at all it’s very difficult to get at the manual opener. Car is going back to dealer this afternoon.

Pepperkake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My fears regarding the ports were well founded! A week or so ago the ports failed to open but did for no apparent reason open the following morning. On Saturday the charging cable would not release from the car. Porsche assistance had a tool which allowed them to manually release it but now the port will not close. The light on the release button is not working. I put it on charge and again the cable would not release. I released it manually but still port will not close. I don’t know if these problems are related but from my experience do not choose automatic opening charge ports if possible! Also, park in such a way that you can always fully open the door. If its restricted at all it’s very difficult to get at the manual opener. Car is going back to dealer this afternoon.
Just had the right port-mechanism changed (today actually). Was booked to do the service a week ago, but it was cancelled from Porsche's side as they apparently had a new version of the mechanism made up which was soon to be delivered. They got the new part(s?) in the beginning of this week and did the installation of the new port-mechanism today. Now it works. You should investigate if you require one or both of the ports to have this same swap of parts.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Interesting. My driver's side mechanism was replaced (wouldn't open) after an extended delay waiting for parts (I had a loaner for about two weeks), but they didn't indicate there was a new version. Hopefully this is a new one that works long term...

Greeknikola

First Name
Nikolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello taycan 4s 2020 without any reason both ports won't open.Went to the dealer nothing he will call me to ta it back.Only having the port opened with the tool and after as good mentioned MUST be the driver door fully opened so to release the charging ....terrible that can not find the issue.I hope they will find soon the problem this is very bad.I hope someone have any suggestion

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hello taycan 4s 2020 without any reason both ports won't open.Went to the dealer nothing he will call me to ta it back.Only having the port opened with the tool and after as good mentioned MUST be the driver door fully opened so to release the charging ....terrible that can not find the issue.I hope they will find soon the problem this is very bad.I hope someone have any suggestion
Check the fuse box in case there is a dedicated fuse for it which might have blown.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I actually got manual opening charging doors because I was afraid of problems w/ electronic doors..smart eh? EXCEPT my manual door on the passenger side (DC charging side, of course) refused to open...took over a month to get an appointment and prevented me from any long rides....ironic

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I actually got manual opening charging doors because I was afraid of problems w/ electronic doors..smart eh? EXCEPT my manual door on the passenger side (DC charging side, of course) refused to open...took over a month to get an appointment and prevented me from any long rides....ironic
I don't think people realize there is still an electronic locking component to the manual doors. I know I didn't when I ordered. I probably still would have gotten the manual ones as there is less that could go wrong than with the fully electric ones.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I don't think people realize there is still an electronic locking component to the manual doors. I know I didn't when I ordered. I probably still would have gotten the manual ones as there is less that could go wrong than with the fully electric ones.
If I charge on my LH manual port and it freezes (below - 5) it wont then close fully until it's warmed up.
The 'latch' freezes and it stays like this (pic) until I can close it properly.
If you push it, it just springs back to this position.

Porsche Taycan Charging port won’t open. 20231201_112357

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
.......and you cannot drive the car with the charging door opened (I believe)!?
Sponsored