evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I spoke to them about this - the best they offered was coupon code "JoAN" which is good for $20 off. Feel free to use it if needed - I don't think it has any max redemption limits.
$20 dollars off is the standard discount anyone can get on their website using a variety of "public" coupons from them. I got them up to $30 (they said they would create a "TAYCAN" Coupon) but I never pursued it any further as I though it was a pretty meaningless effort.

I expect if I drop a note to the person I was dealing with, I could get that $30 discount up an running if folks are interested. I don't think its enough value for bringing a group to the table but I already have 2 Mustart chargers so I really don't have any skin in the game...

If someone thinks I should try and enable this $30 coupon just let me know...
Sponsored

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
just curious, are people buying this in lieu of the Porsche charger or in addition to? if the latter, why not just use the Porsche one?
My Porsche Charger is sitting unopened and pristine in my attic. Its unnecessarily complicated , heavy, and cumbersome, and the add-on adapter cables are crazy expensive. I posted the cost of an add-on cable here somewhere but I think its around $700. For the price of a single Porsche adapter cable ($700), I can buy a Mustart Travel Charger ($350) and SEVEN more adapter cables ($50 ea).

It will all become painfully obvious the day you try and purchase an adapter cable for your PMCC so you will be able to plug into into a different outlet type...

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
You are correct. Maybe the fact that most of the chargers that seem to be sold here in Europe are 3 phase chargers could explain part of the price difference. Guess also there is much more competition in the US market?

Here is one of the I have seen and heard some good feedback on.

https://www.mobilityhouse.com/int_en/nrgkick-16-a-light-11k-5m-typ2.html

But is still is more that twice the price of the Mustart!
Thanks!!!!!!!

P.S. My Porsche charger was free and included in the Swiss Package.

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
You are correct. Maybe the fact that most of the chargers that seem to be sold here in Europe are 3 phase chargers could explain part of the price difference. Guess also there is much more competition in the US market?

Here is one of the I have seen and heard some good feedback on.

https://www.mobilityhouse.com/int_en/nrgkick-16-a-light-11k-5m-typ2.html

But is still is more that twice the price of the Mustart!
We have this, is the same of Mustart but much more expensive.
https://www.amazon.it/EVFUEL-Carica...ricatore+32+a+portatile&qid=1609856218&sr=8-1

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yes that is the same but with the European type 2 connector. It however looks to be only a single phase charger and I can not find the charging power for it. Single phase 32 amp will be max 7.2 kW.

I am also not sure if this charger is CE approved and tested. It seems to be IP rated but not for the charging unit itself. Looks like that can only be installed indoor??

It would not be for me since it is coming from China. I prefer to have electric items made in Europe and CE approved. Bad experience from cheap imports from China.

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
Yes that is the same but with the European type 2 connector. It however looks to be only a single phase charger and I can not find the charging power for it. Single phase 32 amp will be max 7.2 kW.

I am also not sure if this charger is CE approved and tested. It seems to be IP rated but not for the charging unit itself. Looks like that can only be installed indoor??

It would not be for me since it is coming from China. I prefer to have electric items made in Europe and CE approved. Bad experience from cheap imports from China.
I had this in my wishlist but now is not available, MOREC seems a good product but i bought two pulsar charger (home and work) and i will use the porsche connect charger when i will travel.

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0891X3BJK/?coliid=I9JLZUELK19PL&colid=3G8CJKDZR70UT&psc=0

yuanshiang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Porsche Charger is sitting unopened and pristine in my attic. Its unnecessarily complicated , heavy, and cumbersome, and the add-on adapter cables are crazy expensive. I posted the cost of an add-on cable here somewhere but I think its around $700. For the price of a single Porsche adapter cable ($700), I can buy a Mustart Travel Charger ($350) and SEVEN more adapter cables ($50 ea).

It will all become painfully obvious the day you try and purchase an adapter cable for your PMCC so you will be able to plug into into a different outlet type...
oh wow. you think it's a good idea to leave off the PMCC? ($1120 USD option on my build)

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
oh wow. you think it's a good idea to leave off the PMCC? ($1120 USD option on my build)
I left it off my build - not worth the price. It was a $0 option for a few months, but now that it's $1120, I'd take it off (and did so myself).

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Personally, I have no use for it at all. There are much cheaper, lighter, more flexible solutions available for far less... Its a huge waste of money and overly complex. I think most other EV warriors are going to tell you exactly the same thing.

Mine is going to sit in the attic in pristine condition until I sell my car. (It was a zero dollar option for me...)

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Personally, I have no use for it at all. There are much cheaper, lighter, more flexible solutions available for far less... Its a huge waste of money and overly complex. I think most other EV warriors are going to tell you exactly the same thing.

Mine is going to sit in the attic in pristine condition until I sell my car. (It was a zero dollar option for me...)
You can always sell it btw.. I know a lot of the Audi folks sell theirs on ebay.

yuanshiang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I left it off my build - not worth the price. It was a $0 option for a few months, but now that it's $1120, I'd take it off (and did so myself).
gotcha... the $0 => $1120 change happened right around the time i was working out pricing with my sales guy so i was able to complain and get some of the cost subsidized by the dealer.

i guess there's just so many unknowns about my usage pattern with this car and the potential remote charging scenarios i might run into. i want to be prepared but also don't want to be buying a bunch of stuff i'll never use .... maybe best to just use the ICE for any roundtrip greater than 200mi :CWL:

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
gotcha... the $0 => $1120 change happened right around the time i was working out pricing with my sales guy so i was able to complain and get some of the cost subsidized by the dealer.

i guess there's just so many unknowns about my usage pattern with this car and the potential remote charging scenarios i might run into. i want to be prepared but also don't want to be buying a bunch of stuff i'll never use .... maybe best to just use the ICE for any roundtrip greater than 200mi :CWL:
Same here, it was 1 business day before I finalized my order - really annoying, but on the flip side, I got to learn a lot about EV chargers and helped me build out my home set up. 3-4mo too early, but I got it in for 2020 for the tax deduction (that might not renew for 2021).

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

EV's are best used as daily drivers. Charge them at night at home (or at work during the day), just like your cell phone, and you'll never look back. Road Trips take a lot of planning, incur about 20% time penalty (vs ICE), but some folks enjoy the "challenge" anyway...

Your choice of charger will have little impact on your daily usage pattern.

You will want a charger for use at home (if possible), and maybe one to throw in the trunk (if you need it for longer trips). This could be the same unit if you choose wisely.

Note that you will want to be using high power public chargers on road trips. If you have to reach into your trunk for that "Travel Charger" you're already in trouble. (You could also be at your final destination and don't care if it takes "forever" to get a charge...)
Sponsored