Martin OBrien

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Leaving a restaurant tonight and prevented from pre-heating the car because it said battery level too low at 23% and 47 miles (picture). I live 3 miles away and battery was 22% when I got home, still above my 20% min charge. I am sure someone will point out that if I explored the myriad of multilayered menus in the car or app I could have prevented that but it is not the point. I paid for that preheat functionally and should NOT be prevented from using it. Warn me if it must, but do not stop me making adult judgements about how I use MY car.

I have owned this Porsche for nearly two months now and am more frustrated with it than any of the 30+ cars I have owned across my life. The interfaces (living with the car) in both car and app are so bad compared to what else is on the market I expect I will eat the depreciation and move away from it much sooner than planned. I bought with a 3 year intent to keep but not sure I can work thru’ the myriad of niggling challenges. Eg I called the dealer about poor brake performance and was met with “yes, come on in and we’ll address the 3 recall issues and the needed SW update at the same time’”. I have never had to post questions on a forum before for any car I owned and note the mass of similar questions that people constantly post. I know Porsche users are fiercely loyal but it must be a bubble view of the motoring world.
Porsche Taycan More ‘nanny state’ Porsche frustration IMG_4455
Sponsored

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
I’ve had my Turbo since July 2020. No issues and I enjoy the car everyday. 18,000 miles.
The car is limiting you from damaging the battery.

Sounds like you need a Tesla.

OP
OP

Martin OBrien

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve had my Turbo since July 2020. No issues and I enjoy the car everyday. 18,000 miles.
The car is limiting you from damaging the battery.

Sounds like you need a Tesla.
I am glad you are enjoying it but you may be right about what fits with me. The car is lovely but the SW less so

Tycan keith

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo (and... I pace, mini, sylva jester)
Country flag
Got to admit, I've got a '20 turbo and the reason it does stuff is to prevent people from braking a very expensive and advanced car..... of course, it doesn't make fart noises etc on the horn..... the reason you have the reliability is because of situations like the recall and preventative measures.

(Tesla has a HUGE return rate, and people complaining about being able to see through the cast metal chassis structure.)

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
You’ll learn to love it!

OP
OP

Martin OBrien

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got to admit, I've got a '20 turbo and the reason it does stuff is to prevent people from braking a very expensive and advanced car..... of course, it doesn't make fart noises etc on the horn..... the reason you have the reliability is because of situations like the recall and preventative measures.

(Tesla has a HUGE return rate, and people complaining about being able to see through the cast metal chassis structure.)
I do not know what you mean by "Tesla has a huge return rate" but can comment from what I understand. Like all owners of such cars (Tesla or Taycan) people settle into their own grooves, viewing the world from their own particular bubble. Like the misinformation driving depreciation in the general EV market, the same rubbish is spouted about Tesla.
- Tesla Model Y looks boring (partly the reason for switching to the Taycan, but also because I cannot buy the S or X in the UK any more). Others I know switched for that reason also. I have personally never met a Tesla owner that is not an advocate for the brand. The advocates against Tesla are usually those that never owned one (of course there will be exceptions)
- I never once in 8 years driving a Tesla had to resort to returns, excess servicing, recalls or support forums.
- S&P reported in Sept '23 "For a relatively new brand, Tesla is already building world-class loyalty numbers. Tesla has not only demonstrated strong appeal to new buyers but a compelling ability to retain existing ones. But where do Tesla owners go when they buy their next vehicle? A whopping 59.9% of all Tesla Model S large sedan owners replace their cars with another Tesla. When it comes to the compact Model 3 sedan, the number is even higher: 72.8%"
- Tesla reportably delivered 1,808,581 EVs WW in 2023 (up 38%) vs 40,629 Taycans (up 17%). Model S/X (Taycan competition) sold 68,874 but that would have been higher if they were still available.
- When a brand dominates by such a huge amount and especially with lower cost models attractive to company car buyers some dissent is always likely. In the UK company drivers who know nothing about Tesla or EV's often get them for tax relief reasons and then cannot get on with them (often not investing in home charging for instance). Some of these will moan but people who bought Tesla because they believe in them or EVs rarely react the same way
- Final point: panels gaps is an old complaint about early Tesla models and it does not apply now. Also, I never cared about it as the benefits massively outweighed that. I hope I can settle into my Taycan but Porsche could do much more to make it easier.

Tycan keith

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo (and... I pace, mini, sylva jester)
Country flag
Lol, but tesla isn't porsche!

What I mean about the return rate, is the number of Teslas that get returned due to dissatisfaction, faults etc...(I think it's in the 20% area). I'm not saying they don't get a replacement, just that the actual number that go out without ANY problems is actually less than people may realise. (I didn't mean the panel gaps, I meant there were gaps in the casting of several chassis which were supposed to be solid, but tesla said they were "within limits".... although, gotta love the way algorithms will send you news articles to back up whatever your opinion is!

But yes, it's a bit like people with an Apple watch..... but when they realise there is a whole other world they get nervous!

I get what you mean though, I do find it hilarious, especially when people are quoting Mr Bean..... and finding any excuse not to have an EV....

Mine hasn't caught fire yet but apparently I should be wearing a fire suit everything I drive it according to some.... (who like to sit with a big reserve of flammable liquid behind them......)

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
I did indeed experience the OP's problem once: I tried to preheat the cabin, and the app would not allow me to do so b/c of my low SoC, even though I knew (but the app did not know) that even with a ~1-2% SoC loss from preheating, I still had a comfortable margin for reaching my nearby destination.
So yes, the app should allow the driver to override that cautionary prohibition.
Fortunately that one single incident has not diminished my enjoyment of my new-to-me CT during the course of over 10,000 miles thus far.

OP
OP

Martin OBrien

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Lol, but tesla isn't porsche!

What I mean about the return rate, is the number of Teslas that get returned due to dissatisfaction, faults etc...(I think it's in the 20% area). I'm not saying they don't get a replacement, just that the actual number that go out without ANY problems is actually less than people may realise. (I didn't mean the panel gaps, I meant there were gaps in the casting of several chassis which were supposed to be solid, but tesla said they were "within limits".... although, gotta love the way algorithms will send you news articles to back up whatever your opinion is!

But yes, it's a bit like people with an Apple watch..... but when they realise there is a whole other world they get nervous!

I get what you mean though, I do find it hilarious, especially when people are quoting Mr Bean..... and finding any excuse not to have an EV....

Mine hasn't caught fire yet but apparently I should be wearing a fire suit everything I drive it according to some.... (who like to sit with a big reserve of flammable liquid behind them......)
Thanks for explaining. There is so much misinformation even I believe it and park my EVs at least 3 metres away from my house walls and I am very comfortable with EVs

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
note the mass of similar questions that people constantly post.
That is a problem not with the car but with social media (and forums although at least here we are protected from Zuckerberg’s machine making things worse). You only see negative posts because people come here with issues. Everyone else is very happy.
Sponsored